Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets & Ospreys to play home matches on JD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:48pm
When he spoke at the CRYS16 AGM this year, Mark Davies told us that wage inflation in rugby is running at 26%.

That's where the money is going. Sadly I feel that too many players see it as a short 'career'. I can only assume therefore that some are trying to earn a lifetime's income in 15 years. 

Perhaps more of them should plan their careers beyond rugby. Jamie Roberts has done so, Gwyn Jones was doing so, AWJ has a law degree, Preistland has a degree, can't remember in what now. There is a life beyond 35, when a rugby career usually ends. 

Perhaps this realisation needs to dawn on some current players.

Edited by ap sior - 02 December 2018 at 4:49pm
Sponsored Links

Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:52pm
Not as bad as football but in comparison with the money that comes in wages are far too high
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:03pm
I doubt that’s the players or the Welsh Rugby Union doing.
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:07pm
Shall we blame the agents then
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:30pm
Any inflation is driven by the English and French.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:32pm
We should blame the WRU for shackling us to a pretty unpopular league format for along time, for giving little or no thought to the commercial possibilities of the Celtic League or ERC as they were solely obsessed with test match income. It's widely said that Sky was given the P12 rights as part of a package including Irish test rugby. 

Other than that we can only accept that we're competing for scarce talent in a pan-european market with 2 very wealthy countries, and 2 leagues that have for years been run for the benefit of participating clubs, not their respective national unions/ teams. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:36pm
So if the 2 teams are England and France who not only have access to most players but also most money how does that account for Ireland ? Only a question as I’m not informed. Where do Leicester, Munster and the IRU get their cash from
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:39pm
Probably best to open a thread in General rugby for this..
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

So if the 2 teams are England and France who not only have access to most players but also most money how does that account for Ireland ? Only a question as I’m not informed. Where do Leicester, Munster and the IRU get their cash from
Ireland has twice the population of Wales, and their economy is roughly 4 times the size of Wales. Also they allow professional sports people to reclaim most of their taxes paid when they retire from professional rugby. 

Munster, for instance, is bigger than Wales. I could go on, but I'd get boring Wink

Edited by Wasp - 02 December 2018 at 6:46pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 6:52pm
Actually I don’t find you boring. I find you informative
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Any inflation is driven by the English and French.

I'll take your word on this point Wil, so here's a genuine question, can you explain how does the inflation driven by the English and the French transfer itself to our Regions, if neither the players nor the WRU are at 'fault' ?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Probably best to open a thread in General rugby for this..

Ok, I've taken your advice Wil and opened a thread in General under the title of 'wage inflation in rugby'.

I couldn't come up with a better title, apologies for that. I've copied and pasted my post at the top of P7 as a starter.

Please discuss as you will ! Or Discuss as you Wil Will !

Edited by ap sior - 02 December 2018 at 9:04pm
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 12:40pm
have the scarlets had a ticket allocation for judgement day?
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic