Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Principality Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Principality Experience
    Posted: 23 February 2019 at 10:12pm
50 years ago I went to my first international game: Wales v England 1969. The Maurice Richards game and Barry John also scored a try that Anscombe can only dream of.. So I was looking forward to celebrating the annivrsary today.

During the anthems I became aware that there was an Englishman sat behind me and I was more aware when the first 10 minutes of the game were accompanied by his shouted commentary with only one adjective used (repeatedly).: the F one. When the two lads sat next to me requested him to moderate it a bit, he did until the English scored their try and in his excitement, I got a slop of his beer on my head. I requested politely (using the please word) that he not do that but his repsonse was actual;ly quite rude and aggressive  and not apologetic. He came back from half time fully loaded with plastic glasses and of course dropped a substantial part of the load down my back. The whole of my lower back was sioaked but I said nothing. When, however, Farrell kicked his second half penalty and I got a third soaking, I am ashamed to say I lost it, turned round and gave him a really good shouting.

Which brings us to the stewarding. Although several of our neighbours were clearly upset by his behaviour (and the English lad on my right apologised to me ) there had been no intervention form the stewards until I started shouting at him. Then they were quick enough to tell me to calm down with a gesture indicating that I was the sole one responsible for the problem.. I got a fourth dollop of beer later on- this one certainly intentional and then a fifth spraying from exultant Welsh fans at the final try. I came home smelling as though I had swum in the slops of a busy pub.

I feel used and abused by this drunk Englishman; and completely down about the whole experience. £110 to have beer poured over me. It completely destroyed any enjoyment of the match and the result and I'm not sure I want to go through the experience again. Farewell the innocence of 50 years ago.

Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 10:24pm
That’s a sobering story.

Sorry you had to suffer it.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 10:57pm
Unfortunately these incidents seem to be happening more often and the stewards just turn a blind eye and do nothing about them! A few years ago my 3 female friends and two of our 12 year old Grandsons went to Judgement Day and the Scarlets game was second to be played, when our game started some female Osprey fans were deliberately trying to wind us up by shouting abuse and spilling beer from  behind us, they were also throwing cardboard missiles and hit one of us and when we complained to the stewards their response was " bit awkward love as they're women" and did nothing about it! We follow the Scarlets both home and away but will never go to any games at the Principality Stadium as that experience has put us and our Grandsons off ever going there again!! UnhappyDisapproveAngry
"YMA O HYD"
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 11:15pm
Sadly it happens across the board from all supporters! Times have changed.😡
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

50 years ago I went to my first international game: Wales v England 1969. The Maurice Richards game and Barry John also scored a try that Anscombe can only dream of.. So I was looking forward to celebrating the annivrsary today.

During the anthems I became aware that there was an Englishman sat behind me and I was more aware when the first 10 minutes of the game were accompanied by his shouted commentary with only one adjective used (repeatedly).: the F one. When the two lads sat next to me requested him to moderate it a bit, he did until the English scored their try and in his excitement, I got a slop of his beer on my head. I requested politely (using the please word) that he not do that but his repsonse was actual;ly quite rude and aggressive  and not apologetic. He came back from half time fully loaded with plastic glasses and of course dropped a substantial part of the load down my back. The whole of my lower back was sioaked but I said nothing. When, however, Farrell kicked his second half penalty and I got a third soaking, I am ashamed to say I lost it, turned round and gave him a really good shouting.

Which brings us to the stewarding. Although several of our neighbours were clearly upset by his behaviour (and the English lad on my right apologised to me ) there had been no intervention form the stewards until I started shouting at him. Then they were quick enough to tell me to calm down with a gesture indicating that I was the sole one responsible for the problem.. I got a fourth dollop of beer later on- this one certainly intentional and then a fifth spraying from exultant Welsh fans at the final try. I came home smelling as though I had swum in the slops of a busy pub.

I feel used and abused by this drunk Englishman; and completely down about the whole experience. £110 to have beer poured over me. It completely destroyed any enjoyment of the match and the result and I'm not sure I want to go through the experience again. Farewell the innocence of 50 years ago.

Although I enjoyed the game and result, I also had the pleasure reduced by this sort of behaviour...

Last year, my wife and I had two totally drunk guys behind us...they managed to spill beer on my wife four times, until we and others nearby complained to the stewards... the two drunks were ejected. One had the cheek to complain that he'd paid £100 for his seat - as if we hadn't done the same, with no wish to have beer poured on us!

Yesterday, we had something similar... two English guys this time (last year's were Welsh) managed to spill beer on my wife and an elderly gent near us (not you, John?)... their 'apology' was half-hearted to say the least - when I gave the guy a bit of my mind, he said: "It's a rugby game" to which I replied "but not a beer-throwing competition". According to my wife, they spent their time discussing their skiing trips, not a word about rugby! Just another coupe of piss-artists. If they'd done it again, I'd have gone to the stewards... I think we should all do this.

In fact - I have seen people carry beer cups with lids on, which would help - these guys had 4 pints in a cardboard tray, but no lids at all. Totally stupid, no excuse. My wife has said that she'll never go to a match at the stadium again, and I don't blame her.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 10:11pm
are there any non boozing seats there? an option worth considering
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 10:14pm
Not sure this is a new thing. In the 70s it was not uncommon to get urinated on in the North Enclosure.  Max Boyce wrote a line in one of his songs about it, ironically (given the thread) talking about giving a bottle filled with urine to an English fan.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 24 February 2019 at 10:15pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

John - I've already replied to your post about fools spilling beer.

On a more positive note - I was also at that game... one stand had been demolished, as I remember it, for re-development, and Barry John had a superb game, as well as Richards.

You were luckier than I was for your first game - mine was a defeat in 1963 on a frozen pitch - poor Dewi Bebb had a couple of scoring passes early on, but dropped the ball through his numbed fingers. In 1965, on a mudbath, Top Cat Clive Rowlands and David Watkins guided Wales to a 14-3 win... Neath 15 Hodgson made an amazing pick up by sliding a good 5m to pick the ball off the mud in one hand before the tacklers could reach him. You never see conditions like that nowadays! 1967 - the Keith Jarrett match when he kicked everything and ran onto one of their misplaced kicks out of defence, going like a train he raced in fro a try from 50m.

From 1964 to 1979, England only managed one win. Great days!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic