Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amazon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:32pm
It’s a worry for sure, so few truly British manufacturers of scale left.

My only call out on a No deal incidentally is I can already see the players in my arena preparing to take our pants down on trade deals. It would be ugly.

Edited by Wil Chips - 08 June 2019 at 7:32pm
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It’s a worry for sure, so few truly British manufacturers of scale left.

My only call out on a No deal incidentally is I can already see the players in my arena preparing to take our pants down on trade deals. It would be ugly.

That's a major worry Wil. As was said after the vote, Britain hasn't negotiated a trade deal since the 1970's. It has all been done for us by the EU. With access to upwards of 400 million people, countries aren't likely to play hardball with the EU. At a mere 65 million, we're at a severe disadvantage. 

Chlorinated chicken and hormone filled beef, here we come ! We will certainly have an obesity problem then !

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 6:36am
The only glint of light I see is the return of industries, like mine, to onshore solutions both because Generation Z are the first to fully embrace and demand that entities clearly and definitively show their ethical and environmental standards.

If the UK Govt can provide appropriate incentives to locate in the UK, with or without Europe, we might just see a resurgence.

Amazon’s possibly fatal flaw is to consider speed trumps an environmental footprint.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 7:56am
If the Brexit negotiations are anything to go by I don't hold out much hope for our trade deals. We certainly need to put together an effective team working to a well defined strategy to maximise our success. That strategy ideally would be cross party supported and have at its core the steady return of manufacturing capacity to the UK. 

Government needs to show its ready to invest in British technology & innovation not just pay lip service. Buy British should be the mantra. If chlorinated chicken is a price to pay for a good deal from the USA then it should be considered. After all it will be the end consumer who will have the final say at the check out or am I being too simplistic. 

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 8:50am
Recent survey in the US showed most consumers believed it was China that paid in full for the recent tariff hikes 🤔
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

If the Brexit negotiations are anything to go by I don't hold out much hope for our trade deals. We certainly need to put together an effective team working to a well defined strategy to maximise our success. That strategy ideally would be cross party supported and have at its core the steady return of manufacturing capacity to the UK. 

Government needs to show its ready to invest in British technology & innovation not just pay lip service. Buy British should be the mantra. If chlorinated chicken is a price to pay for a good deal from the USA then it should be considered. After all it will be the end consumer who will have the final say at the check out or am I being too simplistic. 

You're right, it will be the consumer that has the say.  It wont affect the wealthy mind  as they won't be buying the cheap stuff, this is why the Rhys Moggs of this world arent worried. It will be the less well of that will get screwed.  
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

You're right, it will be the consumer that has the say.  It wont affect the wealthy mind  as they won't be buying the cheap stuff, this is why the Rhys Moggs of this world arent worried. It will be the less well of that will get screwed.  

So we are assuming that chlorinated chicken is a good deal !

There's also the assumption that the consumer has a choice, where in reality if chlorinated chicken is the only chicken on offer, then you're choice has already been taken away.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

There's also the assumption that the consumer has a choice, where in reality if chlorinated chicken is the only chicken on offer, then you're choice has already been taken away.

That is totally correct. However that is my point about having a concerted Government led campaign to support all things British. I would certainly still buy free range British reared chickens and I certainly don't come from the Rhys Mogg part of society. 

We must get back to the old values of supporting local Industry; supporting British products. I understand that this won't happen overnight but peoples' perceptions can be changed with the correct planning, effort and financial inducements. We have been hamstrung for too many years when even if we wanted to we couldn't support British Industry. Take the steel industry as an example. No assistance could even be countenanced as it was not allowed by EU rules. With Brexit on the horizon this will all change and the Government need to grasp the nettle & use the billions we will save to directly support worthwhile British Industry. 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:17am

My understanding is that chlorinated chicken will be a very bad deal, but it wil be cheap.  It's banned in the EU (and currently UK) for very good health reasons. Farming standards in the US are way below EU standards, not just for human health reasons but for animal cruelty reasons as well.

There will be a choice (for the wealthy at least) as there will still be a market for healthier more expensive products.  

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 09 June 2019 at 11:18am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:22am

That is totally correct. However that is my point about having a concerted Government led campaign to support all things British. I would certainly still buy free range British reared chickens and I certainly don't come from the Rhys Mogg part of society. 

We must get back to the old values of supporting local Industry; supporting British products. I understand that this won't happen overnight but peoples' perceptions can be changed with the correct planning, effort and financial inducements. We have been hamstrung for too many years when even if we wanted to we couldn't support British Industry. Take the steel industry as an example. No assistance could even be countenanced as it was not allowed by EU rules. With Brexit on the horizon this will all change and the Government need to grasp the nettle & use the billions we will save to directly support worthwhile British Industry. 

'Buy local, eat local' predates Brexit, and is a 'campaign' that I am fully behind. I for one look for the Welsh Flag on items when I shop. Milk and butter being two examples. However, we are not self sufficient in many goods, and therein lies the problem. Chicken being one of those items.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:32am

'Buy local, eat local' predates Brexit, and is a 'campaign' that I am fully behind. I for one look for the Welsh Flag on items when I shop. Milk and butter being two examples. However, we are not self sufficient in many goods, and therein lies the problem. Chicken being one of those items.

I understand that argument & we will never be fully self sufficient but we can certainly make huge strides to support our producers. I don't for one minute suggest that we suddenly throw away all our welfare standards but we are going to be in control of our own standards. If USA food products are not good enough then they will be off the table. 

Much has been made for instance of the comments made about the NHS being part of the deal. The reaction from Hancock & others has been very naive in my opinion. Do they really believe that currently the NHS does not source biliions of pounds worth of products from outside the UK/EU. If American companies can supply 1000 latest technology CT/MRI scanners cheaper than the current German supplier why wouldn't be interested? Joy for me, of course, is that a UK company will eventually step up to the plate and supply. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:52am
Why will we have to eat chlorinated chicken? Plenty of non eu country’s don’t. Brexit scaremongering is as bad from remain as leave tbh
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 12:29pm
For those agreeing with neo-liberal thinking that US style privatisation is good and public ownership is bad, a few minutes reading the following article may correct this thinking

https://off-guardian.org/2019/06/07/the-neoliberal-disaster-of-us-healthcare/

Edited by Ffidel Bennett - 09 June 2019 at 12:53pm
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

They paid £63 million in business rates last year on £8 billion turnover thats a rate of 0.007%
They paid £62 million in corporation tax in 10 years turnover of over £60 billion? thats 0.001%

Now theyre opening shops on the high street under another name against other sme's who pay vastly more % rates in business rates and tax

All these layers of politicians at the WAG the national parliaments, westminster and the EU and the playing field is more imbalanced and immoral than ever. what does that tell you?

Amazon is a massive employer in the UK and as a result there are other industries that are enjoying the fruits of their labour such as the haulage industry, van drivers etc.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

They paid £63 million in business rates last year on £8 billion turnover thats a rate of 0.007%
They paid £62 million in corporation tax in 10 years turnover of over £60 billion? thats 0.001%

Now theyre opening shops on the high street under another name against other sme's who pay vastly more % rates in business rates and tax

All these layers of politicians at the WAG the national parliaments, westminster and the EU and the playing field is more imbalanced and immoral than ever. what does that tell you?

Amazon is a massive employer in the UK and as a result there are other industries that are enjoying the fruits of their labour such as the haulage industry, van drivers etc.

you can say that about any big company such as TATA steel... doesn't excuse the fact that they are using LEGAL loopholes in our tax system to get away with paying their way.

it's stuff like this that we need to fix and not the EU...

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

you can say that about any big company such as TATA steel... doesn't excuse the fact that they are using LEGAL loopholes in our tax system to get away with paying their way.

it's stuff like this that we need to fix and not the EU...

Quite so.

Far too many absolutely huge companies, as well as extremely wealthy individuals, get away with paying tax at a lower rate than most of us. 

The arguments include "creating jobs", but these companies usually destroy more retail jobs than they create. They also depend on a workforce earning 'McJob' rates of pay, with their employees looking forward to minimum pensions, rather than better pay, prospects, standard of life, health, and old age earnings.

In general (there are exceptions, obviously) smaller, local companies are more accountable and give their staff a better quality of life.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic