Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Junior section

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junior section
    Posted: 17 July 2019 at 10:34am
Just had a look at the Cardiff RFC website and they are looking for children to start up a mini and junior section for the club.

What are people's thoughts on this?  A big club like that would attract a lot of children due to just their name and prestige of playing for them?  Would that then have a detrimental effect on other local, 'smaller' clubs who would then not be able to field Mini and Junior sides due to losing players to Cardiff?

I know Llanelli used to have a junior section as I used to play for them many years ago but I don't know why it finished or whether it would be a good idea to start one again as Llanelli RFC Juniors due to the effect it would have on numbers at other local clubs (Felinfoel, Llangennech, NDS, Furnace, Bynea, Kidwelly, Burry Port etc) for the same reasons stated above?

Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 11:19am
There’s already a lot of clubs within a small area trying to run age group teams in a very competitive and difficult market. 

You’ll just get parents taking their children away from clubs to see them in a Llanelli RFC jersey, even at the age 8. I think it’s quite a selfish move by Cardiff RFC, and I wouldn’t like to see us do the same.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 11:24am
They had a team when i was young tbh they weren’t that strong if i recall although pretty sure a young sq played there. More of an issue if academys don’t release young kids to their clubs tbh. There are lots of young kids playing it’s the drop off at 16 that is an issue

Edited by RR1972 - 17 July 2019 at 11:25am
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 2:26pm
Don’t know about the numbers playing in the Llanelli area, but in the Ammanford area many clubs are currently struggling between the age groups of 10-12. Many have had to join together just so that the kids can continue to play. 
I agree that a Llanelli RFC junior side would be detrimental not only to local Llanelli numbers, but also further afield. Maybe an increased presence in the junior section by Scarlet representatives and scouts to help guide players and coaches to achieve the best results. Remember, many coaches are just Dads trying to help out with their local communities. If the Scarlets region is to succeed with such small population numbers, I feel that they need to be involved to a greater extent in the junior section.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic