Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corey Baldwin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 11:27am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Calon_Coch2 Calon_Coch2 wrote:

The players that Scarlets have released in recent years may not be the players they have become if they had not moved on to other clubs and pulled up their socks - excuse the pun -  in order to prove a point.  The coaches who worked with theses players day in, day out, at the time knew more about their work ethos and attitude than us - hindsight is a wonderful thing!
This is spot on
coaches make mistakes to mind. Look at pivac in the last season he was coach here  his selections were dreadful
Sponsored Links

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The players that Scarlets have released in recent years may not be the players they have become if they had not moved on to other clubs and pulled up their socks - excuse the pun -  in order to prove a point.  The coaches who worked with theses players day in, day out, at the time knew more about their work ethos and attitude than us - hindsight is a wonderful thing!
This is spot on
coaches make mistakes to mind. Look at pivac in the last season he was coach here  his selections were dreadful

The three players who I mentioned Dan Thomas, Jordan and Adams were let down by the coaches .

Players with that natural ability were bound to make it, Dan Thomas I watched play many times for the RFC , gave 100% every game and scored great tries .

Young men mature mentally at different ages, if the coaches had got there man management correct and put there arms around these young  players ,they would have been great Scarlets to watch .

Agree time to move on .
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 12:41pm
We are talking about players let down, how about thinking about the players that were developed in the Scarlets and stayed or moved along. Liam, Foxy. Scott, Rob Evs. Samson. Ken etc etc etc....not a bad record.

It is a thankless job being a coach.

With the three players being mentioned, all very talented but Dan & Josh had issues.

Dan was a penalty machine who constantly got penalised even after the ref told him to get off, I know coaches, both Scarlets & Llanelli discussed the issues with him, and also some referees, ....I was told this by a Llanelli coach. Everyone thought he was good enough but didn't listen.
Josh at the time thought he was better than he actually was..his words.
No idea about Corry.

Coaches look after anything up to 50/75 players and one has to think who can do well in the Scarlets, they get it right most of the times, one puts the effort in to those who will listen and improve.

Also one has to consider who else was in the squad, the money machine was not bottomless.

Wayne Pivac spoke in the Llanelli Cricket Club a few years ago, and answering a question about recruitment went on to say that it is not just rugby one thinks about. it is also what a player brings to the side, its not only ability, its effort, his character, and how he mixes with everyone. It is the same with young players.

It has been mentioned that these players have improved, and maybe by some of the lessons learned, at PYS.

I also think that this thread has reached the end.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 1:11pm

Many people who know me ,know  I  am big follower of the Scarlets Age grade teams ,outside of Leinster, our development pathways and players produced for the Scarlets and beyond is remarkable !!! Long may it continue .
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Many people who know me ,know  I  am big follower of the Scarlets Age grade teams ,outside of Leinster, our development pathways and players produced for the Scarlets and beyond is remarkable !!! Long may it continue .

Well said - remarkable talent, well developed. No coaching group can get it all right, some gems will be missed. All we can ask is that players are treated equally & fairly. As Gatland said selection is only a matter of opinion & there are 3 million + opinions in Wales!!!!! We wouldn't have it any other way. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 2:38pm

top man with scarlets knowledge to. My go to
Guy for any quiz questions
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 3:59pm

top man with scarlets knowledge to. My go to
Guy for any quiz questions

And with more reliable  spies in the camp than MI6 ! 😉😂
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 5:13pm
Wish Mark worked for the government. We wouldn't be in this mess now. The country would certainly be scarlet. Don't know anyone more knowledgeable about the scarlets and more dedicated to the cause 

Edited by turkishrebel - 11 July 2020 at 5:14pm
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 8:05pm

Thanks guys!!!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 11:04am

This is spot on

The three players who I mentioned Dan Thomas, Jordan and Adams were let down by the coaches .

Players with that natural ability were bound to make it, Dan Thomas I watched play many times for the RFC , gave 100% every game and scored great tries .

Young men mature mentally at different ages, if the coaches had got there man management correct and put there arms around these young  players ,they would have been great Scarlets to watch .

Agree time to move on .
Yet Dan Thomas and Josh Adams have openly said that what happened here made them grow up, work harder and were willing to accept they were wrong back then. Adams was told he wanted to be kept but was also told he needed another year at semi pro level to work on his weaknesses... He disagreed and left. Fair enough. But what did Worcester do? Loaned him out. Again Dan Thomas... Loaned out, played a lot in championship etc... Hardly pulled up trees at Gloucester. It took the Bristol move for him to reflect on his time so far and another who admitted he was a bit of a loose cannon that needed the move to "grow up and appreciate" what he had at scarlets. That interview wasn't that long ago. But had we kept Dan Thomas we may never have had cubby etc. Players and coaches come and go. Some will go on after being shown the door to kick on to become top class players that we may think if only he stayed... But as has been mentioned previously, it takes the move sometimes to make them knuckle down. That's no blame on anyone. It just happens. Everywhere. What I will say about the players that have left the Scarlets is not many have gone on to bigger and better things. Do the Scarlets make mistakes, of course they do. But a lot of what's been said here the right calls were made at that time. Did they have talent and potential? Of course. They needed to listen that was all back then. Both have now realised this. One quicker than the other. Being hung up on them is pointless as we have always had someone stepping up and often a lot better. 
As for Baldwin. I'm more on the side that playing for England being a key part for him. He knew Parkes was going to go. He knew foxy is nearing the end. He knew fonotia was leaving. He had a financially matched offer. He chose to leave. England a big drawer looking at that imo and good luck to him. We have had Johnny Williams come the opposite direction doing the same thing. They could have been a pairing for a long time. But never mind. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 12:53pm
We as a club then a region must have produced and developed more truly world class Players than any other comparable club or province. 
As fans we must be grateful for the great players we have had the privilege of watching.
Not many players leave the Scarlets and truly prosper elsewhere and because we do produce so many good players, look at other regions full of ex Scarlets, we will leave some go that may be a mistake.
I think we should be proud of what our region does for Welsh Rugby and indeed the world game and yes it does matter whether professional or not if a players heart Is not in the region them there is no point in him staying. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 1:11pm
Mark is a wealth of information and he's certainly a dedicated supporter. Only trouble with Mark is that he pitches the singing a bit high sometimes!!!!WinkLOLLOLLOL.  Yes I love to hear the stories he's got.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 6:13pm

Very upset Martin with you saying I am not the best at pitching a song LOLLOLLOLLOL
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 7:54pm
Ha haLOL
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic