Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for the 2021 6 Nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

That’s a squad picked by a guy who’s out the door if he has another poor campaign. There’s no signs of a building for the future squad it’s a win at all costs one. 
Yep, and for me the Six Nations isn't the place to experiment. That tournament should always be about the here and now.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 5:35pm
I dont know if this time Pivac can save himself....I feel as there isnt hype about 6N and the call up...

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Quick question for you will ,  what's your take  ( and anyone else on here)  on players with little or no game time eg ken awj ball naivdi and liam being parachuted directly into test rugby?

If my memory serves me right, this rarely pays off for us

They maybe the premier players in wales in their position but are we better off playing the guys who while not as good are actually playing and match fit?

At international level you can expect a returning player to 'empty the tank' so you can at least bank on that.

And you can get away with bringing back a player with decent bench cover.

Wales' problem is they could easily go in to the first game with returning players, or players short of game time at :
2 (Ken)
4 (AWJ)
5 (Ball)
12 (Jonny W)
13 (Foxy)

To add that Navidi, Macloed and Watkin are coming off an injury, and Rhodri Jones and Dillon Lewis are not always first choice at their clubs.

The only players in good international level 'form' right now for me are Tomos Williams, George North, Tips, Lydiate, Biggar/Jarred and Halfpenny.

Not a great looking squad profile.

One remark Eddie Jones has made in the past is that a player who’s returning from injury or isn’t match fit can usually perform well on the first game back but their performance drops off the following week - I believe he justified dropping Ben Teo this way once.

If it’s true then Pivac should be careful which game he chooses to launch Navidi, AWJ & Ken back into it 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 5:50pm
That’s a very good point.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

That’s a squad picked by a guy who’s out the door if he has another poor campaign. There’s no signs of a building for the future squad it’s a win at all costs one. 
Yep, and for me the Six Nations isn't the place to experiment. That tournament should always be about the here and now.

I think that sums it up, really.

The squad holds no great surprises - Lydiate has been playing well, TBF, and deserves his recall. In fact, given that Wales have great problems crossing the gain line, I'd have also recalled Doc Roberts, who has been playing as well as any centre in Wales this term - with improved distribution to add to his power... though his omission, again, is no surprise.

Wales lack good options in a number of positions, in part because of injuries. We can't have much optimism for this campaign.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2021 at 7:53am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't know what the odds are but its worth a fiver this year. Cry

Your were telling me off for saying I don’t think we can expect to beat Ireland yesterday!! 👀

One squad announcement later and you’re putting a 5er on us losing to Italy! LOL

Yes Dyniol you are spot on.Confused. My point really was that we have been reduced in a very short time to considering putting up a brave losing effort at home to Ireland as some sort of progress. Not much about this squad of aging past stars along with many short of games and form excites me I am afraid. I have no expectations at all but will still be screaming at the boys from my sofa come kick off. 
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2021 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I cant belive the cardiff props have been chosen. They cant even get in the cardiff 1st XV. surely WGJ is a better option than Lewis. And A N Other would be a better fit than Carre
Carre goes to show that a big frame does not necessarily a rugby player make.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Cofi Cofi wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I cant belive the cardiff props have been chosen. They cant even get in the cardiff 1st XV. surely WGJ is a better option than Lewis. And A N Other would be a better fit than Carre
Carre goes to show that a big frame does not necessarily a rugby player make.

But have you seen him weightlift in the gym? (That's what people like Sam Warburton were saying about him when he re-signed for the Blues).
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2021 at 2:39pm
Apparently it was the PRB who said Rhys Preistland couldn't be involved despite him signing a 2 year deal with the Blues.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2021 at 9:29am
It's being reported that Owen Farrell has tested positive for Covid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic