Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Refereeing Points of Law - Question 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refereeing Points of Law - Question 1
    Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:41am

Just to start it off, I (& any other qualified refs on the forum), will try to unravel the complexities of Rugby Law, so if you are baffled or just need clarification on decisions, post it here & I will do my best to answer it.

BTW as I say I am a Ref, so therefore I am human, have feelings & yes I do make mistakes, but like all things If I learn from the mistake, it was a good mistake to make !!

1 - Blue full back kicks from outside his 22, the balls trajectory is such that it would land within the field of play, but Red wing, attempts to catch the ball standing with one foot in & one foot out of play, he knocks the ball on.........

Is there an offence ? How is the game restarted ????

Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Sponsored Links

mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:49am

Blue Line Out

(From resulting throw Reds steal ball, swiftly pass it down the line and wing scores glorious try to win HC 29:15)

mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:58am
Originally posted by mammamammon mammamammon wrote:

Blue Line Out

(From resulting throw Reds steal ball, swiftly pass it down the line and wing scores glorious try to win HC 29:15)

Incorrect,

The game restarts with a Red lineout, as the ball is in touch when it hits a person or object which or who is out side the bounds of play.

Had Red wing not been stood in touch (one foot) it would have been a Blue scrum for the knock on.

mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:05am
I knew I should have left those alone, see.
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
wizard View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
No Longer An Admin of SF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:59am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Originally posted by mammamammon mammamammon wrote:

Blue Line Out

Incorrect,

The game restarts with a Red lineout, as the ball is in touch when it hits a person or object which or who is out side the bounds of play.

Had Red wing not been stood in touch (one foot) it would have been a Blue scrum for the knock on.

Is that also from where the blue full back kicked the ball from ?

westwalesdragon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westwalesdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 11:33am
It would be from where the ball is caught wouldn't it, because technically its not straight out as the player caught it with a foot in touch. Something like that?
WestWalesDragon

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 12:16pm

It is from where Blue kicked, as the law states that a ball is in touch if it hits a person or object outside the field of play therefore, Blue Kicked direct to touch from outside his 22. The ball can cross the plane of the touchline, bus until it hits something or someone, it is still playable.

wizard View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
No Longer An Admin of SF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 12:35pm

we need to sort out something for these topics too.

will discuss it with others and see what we can do.

You may end up with 100's of scenes in one topic and noone will learn.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 9:37pm

There are an average of 200 tackles made during the course of a Prem / Magners league game, each with an average of 8 infringements mostly minor, if you penalised every tackle situation, nobody would buy a season ticket. You can see now why refs do miss some infringements, to the frustration of the crowd, the crowd can normally spot all 8 infringements collectively & then try to influence the officials vociferously. Poor old ref has so many "health & safety" issues to look out for all on his own, his positioning mus be to place himself in the safest position , up with play with the best view facing the defence, as this is where 95% of infringements come from.

What you have to decide is if the infringement has cause and effect on the outcome of the play / match at the time. In your case Un' I think the Ref saw the hands on & if the ball was not obstructed by a hand / foot / leg / body, it was deemed playable

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:20pm
scarletman what are you waffling on about? you give an accurate answer to one person then it's 'i think you know the answer' to another!  some consistancy please, there's more than one user!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:28pm

Originally posted by Quagmire Quagmire wrote:

scarletman what are you waffling on about? you give an accurate answer to one person then it's 'i think you know the answer' to another!  some consistancy please, there's more than one user!!

Regarding ????

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:32pm

Regarding ????

sorry should have put a  at the end!! it was a joke about one eyed refs etc!

Edited by Quagmire
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:44pm

Regarding ????

sorry should have put a  at the end!! it was a joke about one eyed refs etc!

Some people on the Forum know, but I am actually a genuine One Eyed Ref, (Left one totally F******* even with a contact lens only 20% vision) still if it's good enough for the DVLA, it's good enough for the WRU.

TonduTurk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:58pm
thanks scarletman, really enjoyed reading your posts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic