Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glasgow home fixture petition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quicksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glasgow home fixture petition
    Posted: 06 June 2018 at 11:17am
Greetings Scarlets fans.  First of all congratulations on your win against us in the semi and commiserations for not getting the double.  

I hope you will indulge me.  

As you know the format of the Pro14 is such that in any one season 7 of the teams will play 10 home fixtures and the other 7 will play 11.  The conferences will remain the same for a two year cycle and in the second year the number of home fixtures is reversed.  In the season just gone,  Glasgow played 10 home games and are due  11 in the coming season.

Also because of the 'local derby' clause in the set up, Glasgow and Edinburgh play each other three times in a season (as well as normal Pro 14 league points,  these fixtures also decide the '1872 cup' , a long running Scottish competition).  in the season just gone these three fixtures were played twice at Murrayfield (Edinburgh) and once at Scotstoun (Glasgow).  The third of these games was played on what was called Super Saturday, where all of the Scottish domestic (amateur) competitions had the finals held on one day at Murrayfield.  The day culminated in the Edinburgh v Glasgow 1872 cup Final leg.  This was deemed, by the SRU to be a successful event, bringing thousands of fans for an all day 'festival' of rugby.

so this coming season Glasgow should host Edinburgh twice, at Scotstoun and play away, at Murrayfield once.  But, and this is the reason for my post, the SRU have decided that Super Saturday was such a success, that the second Glasgow v Edinburgh 'home fixture' will be played, at Murrayfield on Super Saturday.  It would also seem (although this has not been clearly stated,  they plan to do this every year.  

So what does that mean?  We feel this is putting the integrity of the competition at risk, for the sake of the SRU gaining some financial benefit.  We also feel that the simplesolution would be that the festive period 'double header, this year should see both Glasgow v Edinburgh games at that time played at Scotstoun, they can then have their Super Saturday at the end of season and the third leg played at Murrayfield.  
We feel it means that Glasgow will never play 11 truly home fixtures putting us at a disadvantage to the rest of the league.  It also means that Edinburgh will always play 11 home fixtures, putting them at an advantage over every other team in the competition.  For you guys,  if the Conference B is near to being as close as it was this year, Edinburgh, having that additional home fixture, might just pip you for a semi final spot, or a home 1/4 final spot or, maybe even a play off spot.

One of our guys has started a petition which can be found here  https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/glasgow-warriors-home-game-v-edinburgh-should-be-at-scotstoun   

There appears to have been about 500 signatories so far, and I would invite you to protect the integrity of the competition by signing up.

I thank you for your interest and hope all is well in SW Wales.

regards.

Edited by minded - 06 June 2018 at 11:20am
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 11:24am
Moved to General Rugby, but signed the petition as I agree completely that it ruins the integrity of the competition.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 11:43am
I have signed it. The less Union invovlement in pro domestic rugby the better.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 11:59am
Signed :)
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 1:05pm
Signed Thumbs Up
"YMA O HYD"
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 1:47pm
I saw the title and thought it was a petition aimed at banning playing on Glasgow's plastic pitch. So disappointed. 😟😟
Keep the faith
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:02pm
Quicksilver,

Great post which explains the position very clearly.

It highlights a few other points, too. Some are more easily digested than others.

The disadvantages of Union/Federation ownership.

The focussing of the moneymen to the big ticket event at (insert name here but) Murrayfield in this case is almost like a magnet to metal that often the wider perspective gets sacrificed.

If Cockers has set this up subtly, he’s pulled a fast one and showing that he’s still learning.

Finally, your cause of equal rights to home fixtures is worthy enough without the blindingly obvious solution you’ve presented.

Even then, there’s no reason to deprive Edinburgh the chance to play 2 games on your artificial pitch that is abrasive when dry, whether not watered enough or otherwise, every other year. Sadly, the timing of the first two fixtures in a season is unlikely to be anywhere near dry.

Nonetheless, I’m just off to sign the petition and hope you succeed. You’re a great club run in the right way with top supporters. I’ll toast your success when it happens.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:17pm
Just read the petition.

Unless I’ve misunderstood it, I think the words in the petition need a bit of a change before I will sign it.

If the words were as Quicksilver had posted, I’d have signed in a flash. However, they’re not.

Your fellow supporter would be advised to put an L in the word “payoffs” that appears in the text. Plus, the petition was for the Silver Saturday to be held only every 2 years.

Why halve the successful money making event and cut off the public from what they want? I don’t fancy your chances of winning that. In fact, you’d be reducing your chances of keeping your player strength competitive.

On the other hand, no one could/should refuse you having the other two derbies at home every other year so that the sequence of 10, 11, 10, 11 home matches continues as set out when the PRO14 was launched.

Should 2019/20 see our competition being something larger than 14 teams, it’ll be up in the air again.

So, I hope you can get your arguments right because the cause is just.

PS If I’ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick, please feel free to correct me.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Quicksilver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quicksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 5:16pm
EP. Got your PM and have responded. Your points are very valid. I will look into this a bit more ....Stand by.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 5:32am
This subject raises a good point but it also raises the point of some people complaining so much about the league I don’t know why they bother coming to games.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 8:31am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

This subject raises a good point but it also raises the point of some people complaining so much about the league I don’t know why they bother coming to games.

So that they can complain about the league from an informed position ???????
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

So that they can complain about the league from an informed position ???????

No doubt - SF does have its quota of 'professional moaners', like any other comments forum!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 2:01pm

So people should never complain/suggest improvements about/for a product they pay for? Hmm 🤔
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

So people should never complain/suggest improvements about/for a product they pay for? Hmm 🤔

They obviously don’t realise it won’t change. It’s not as if you’re sending a meal back because it’s cold.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 3:17pm
If the WRU ordered us to play a home game at the Millennium Stadium instead of y Parc would we be allowed to moan then?

How about 3 games at the Millennium Stadium?

Or 5 games at the Millennium Stadium?

Or forced us to play in Swansea and changed our name to the South Wales Jacks. Playing in white

Would we be allowed to moan then?

M

O

A

N

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 3:42pm

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

They obviously don’t realise it won’t change. It’s not as if you’re sending a meal back because it’s cold.

Does this mean you’ve never talked negatively about a film or television show where you didn’t like the direction they took, an album you didn’t like, or political decision you didn’t agree with?

Have you never, in all your years of being involved with rugby, never said the words “come on ref” ?

Surely that won’t change it. But if you’re investing in something with time, money, effort; pretty sure you’re allowed to disagree with things you don’t like about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic