Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glasgow v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:56am
I know this is going to sound a bit like the Ospreys' tactics that I normally criticize but with the ref penalising every little transgression we made (after the Glasgow red), surely we should have used whatever possession we had to kick for their corner or chip behind them, so that we were turning them and putting the onus on their 14 men to run back and fight their way out. This would have kept them  away from penalty kicking range, and as long as we chased effectively (for a change) would induce mistakes.  Why we cannot think tactically and effectively on the field is as much of a weakness as our lack of ball carriers.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:20am
Outthought, outfought & outplayed - no excuses. For all on this forum looking at their wishlist for acquisitions for next season - we are desperate for front 5 forwards. Rob Evans, Elias, Kruger & Wyn Jones were absolutely pulverised by, lets face it, a Glasgow team whose limitations in recent seasons have been the strength or lack of forward power. Add in the loss of our one true 2nd row early in the game and you end up with that shambles. I fully agree with Wil's statement that playing very little rugby over the past month has clearly had a detrimental effect on Rob, Ryan, Wyn & Rhys. They are far better than we saw last night.

Long term however, if we are true to our target of competing in the pro 14 & latter stages of Europe then we need to totally upgrade our front 5. Kruger has been a good servant but he was smashed last night; Cummins should be our 4th choice 2nd row & we need to replace, Bulbring, Price & Rawlins with some heavy hitters. When it comes to the back row our first choices are all missing but we still need a carrying No 8. So for me thats 5 forwards minimum needed, then and only then do we look at positions 9-15. 

The only player last night for me who came out on the credit side was Steff Evans & I thought Daf Hughes looked good when he came on. We started this season looking to close the gap on Leinster. The gap is now far wider than last season and is growing with their 2nd/3rd string team winning with ease. A word for Glasgow - well played and thoroughly deserved. Their tight 5 forward play looks to have improved so I really don't understand why Jonathan Humphries doesn't get a mention as a forwards coach when the big jobs come up. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

Turnovers won:
Glasgow 9
Scarlets 5

Rucks won:
Glasgow 125
Scarlets 64

Ruck success:
Glasgow 98%
Scarlets 90%

Tackles made:
Glasgow 98
Scarlets 173

These look like the stand-out stats.

Tackles made reflect their dominance of possession. What hurt us were the tackles that we missed. There were far too many of those.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:43am
Glasgow and Leinster are miles ahead of any other Pro14 teams. Coaching, depth of squad, funding, players coming through and rugby intelligence.
We won the Pro12 and proceeded to rest on our laurels and failed, not only to stay at the same level,but succeeded in going backwards by failing to address the weaknesses that followed the loss of three of our four leaders, Berne, Barclay and Scott.
Keep the faith
gorau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:44am
Bad day at the office. 

No doubt the players will want to put it right. I expect much better next week and the following week. Last night the tide changed when Jake Ball went off, our big ball carrier, after that we couldn't make any in roads and the scrum was in reverse. 

We are never good at playing the ref, which is a concern. 

A few positives from last night was Staff Evans back to his dangerous self. When he chased a loose ball in the build up to Foxy's try it showed his desire and commitment. He also showed why he is on his day our more dangerous runner. Foxy kept going to his credit. Big effort as well came from Dafydd Hughes who showed he was up to the challenge. 
eds
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 11:24am

Turnovers won:
Glasgow 9
Scarlets 5

Rucks won:
Glasgow 125
Scarlets 64

Ruck success:
Glasgow 98%
Scarlets 90%

Tackles made:
Glasgow 98
Scarlets 173

I feared them putting 50 points on us and was so relieved when they lost a man but even then they were still all over us. Top draw performance , the intensity of which was scary. We have to beef up our pack and we need cubby back as well. I am sure the coaches will be all over this on Monday as well. Still all to play for .
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 12:03pm
When the plumber came to call a minute before kick off, I silently cursed his timing.

I put the 📺 on pause and waited while he did what he came for. However, he chatted lots and let his cup of tea last a long time. So, I started the TV after catching the score inadvertently at 6-3.

He left halfway through the second half when the damage had been done and a bottle of wine as thanks for his timing, which was definitely a blessing in disguise, having saved me from living through the match at normal pace.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 02 December 2018 at 12:03pm
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Turnovers won:
Glasgow 9
Scarlets 5

Rucks won:
Glasgow 125
Scarlets 64

Ruck success:
Glasgow 98%
Scarlets 90%

Tackles made:
Glasgow 98
Scarlets 173

Tackles made reflect their dominance of possession. What hurt us were the tackles that we missed. There were far too many of those.

Aye, 17 pens against us too...we won’t have conceded that many in a while.
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Pivac with one eye on the wales job this season.

or one eye,as to [beep] ,where he's going to shant,now that bucket and spade is closing after Christmas!!
childish. Bloke has done more for us as a region than anyone except maybe Carwyn and a few bad results and the idiots on here are lining up.
tongue in cheek,comment,if you don't like what I type,then don't come on here...simples!! merry xmas by the way.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 1:52pm
Thought Cassiem had good game last night was only forward who made
Any dent in the opposition
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 1:54pm
Well, that was very disappointing.

The ref was poor, but the Scarlets were worse - why give him the chances to give penalties to Glasgow after the red card? He clearly seemed to be looking for reasons to even things up - dumb. And how did they out-muscle us, one man short?

I honestly thought that a good half-time bollocking would sort things out - only for Glasgow to score one try and have another narrowly ruled out within 5 minutes. I was pretty sure the game was up, then... and yet, Scarlets rather undeservedly got back within range, only to fail to hang on to the LBP. No-one had a really good game - I suppose Steff did OK with his try and defending, unless I've forgotten some bloomers. Patch did some good things, but totally messed up by missing touch just after the card. Mainly, though, the forwards must take the blame for that result and performance - the backs didn't have much to play with.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 2:11pm
Just watched this again, Glasgow really did play out of their skin.

Especially after half time.

Very disappointing performance from us. Losing away to Glasgow is no disaster but the context makes it seem much worse.

Agree with some on here who said we lost it up front & Patch looked cold.

Never seen him put in 2 poor performances in a row so look forward to the response next week.
DJ
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Very disappointing performance from us. Losing away to Glasgow is no disaster but the context makes it seem much worse.

Never seen him put in 2 poor performances in a row so look forward to the response next week.

Yes Glasgow did play well but we had a pretty full on pack out which is worrying. Rhys has had a difficult time over the past couple of months with head injuries leading to loss of confidence and lack of time on the field. He is a class act so will rebound. I hope the same goes for Rob Evans, Ryan Elias, Werner & Rawlins because they were all dire last night. 
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 2:23pm
Tom price got mom for rfc , sadly think that’s his level
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Tom price got mom for rfc , sadly think that’s his level

Along with Bulbring & Rawlins!!!!!
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Yes Glasgow did play well but we had a pretty full on pack out which is worrying. Rhys has had a difficult time over the past couple of months with head injuries leading to loss of confidence and lack of time on the field. He is a class act so will rebound. I hope the same goes for Rob Evans, Ryan Elias, Werner & Rawlins because they were all dire last night. 

Full on pack?? No place for Samson. Ken, Cubby, Shingler,Blade (and Ball for a full game).
Keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic