Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHalfpenny or .....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halfpenny or .....
    Posted: 13 July 2017 at 9:37am
With the rumours going around that Halfpenny will a NDC with us it got me thinking.

Would you rather 2 players from the southern hemisphere who play at Currie cup or npc level or Halfpenny?

Can't doubt halfpennys class but it's alot for a player who will miss a large part of the season.
Aslong as we beat the English, its ok.
Sponsored Links

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 10:26am
On a NDC yes. Straight to 14.

Otherwise, no. Not because I'd rather any 2 npc players but because it would simply be too expensive for us.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 11:13am
Has to be ndc and also to wing. Would definitely take him though
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 11:46am
Agree NDC and primarily wing BUT I believe there is a far more adventurous and skillful LH who is rarely seen and encouraged and we would bring that out in him
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 12:44pm
Have there been any rumours?

There have been fans wishing it were true, but I haven't read any rumours.
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 12:55pm
didnt the rugby paper say the weekend that the wru are looking to get him on a ndc
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

didnt the rugby paper say the weekend that the wru are looking to get him on a ndc

Does one count an article in the rugby paper as rumours? Rather less I'd say. But if true, then this an early test for the WRU's Dragons v the others position......
ExileTom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:13pm
The Rugby papers article mentioned us, the dragons and Bath I think
diego6754 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:10pm
Leigh is 29 this year, prime of his career. I do not see him wanting to waste his best years at the Dragons whom even if the WRU do work wonders with will take 3-5 years to become remotely competitive. Surely the WRU can't make him go there? They can only make him an offer and see which of the regions are interested and let him make his choice.

Regarding the WRU's stake in the Drags; surely the other regions will not put up with them shoehorning welsh internationals in to a region? If they do that is pretty much the Drags/WRU having a Monopoly over the labour market which as well as being unfair has tenuous legalities. Combined with Gats Law 101 its basically saying you have to play in Wales and you have to play for the Dragons.

On another note my mates son spoke to someone at a concert who is a friend of the groundsman at y Parc who said he had been told by someone in the club the HP is a done deal and he's definitely coming to us...True story.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:26pm
I would be pleasantly surprised if Halfpenny joins us. I still beleive he can find his old attacking ways with the right coaching regime which ours is. Whether he will play at 14 or 15 in our 1st choice team only time will tell but in our starting 15 he would doubtless be. 
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:49pm
Pivac has previously stated that for us to be competitive across the season and to have an actual chance of competing in Europe, we need international quality players throughout the team. I agree, in attack he's been a bit one dimensional, however in defence he is solid. Mcnichol, as superb ad he is in attack, was quite suspect under the high ball and with his positioning.
Would love him to come here on an NDC. Will give a chance for our other options to develop and possibly perfect player to fill the gap for Sanjays rerun.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 3:31pm
He won't go to Dragons. It's being well managed and no wild-card with us or an extra £100k (guess!) at Bath.

Let's ask Pivac next week!!
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union
najbritcol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 3:59pm
He'll certainly fill the massive hole left by Liam, and mean one fewer 'wildcard' outside Wales.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Leigh is 29 this year, prime of his career. I do not see him wanting to waste his best years at the Dragons whom even if the WRU do work wonders with will take 3-5 years to become remotely competitive. Surely the WRU can't make him go there? They can only make him an offer and see which of the regions are interested and let him make his choice.

Regarding the WRU's stake in the Drags; surely the other regions will not put up with them shoehorning welsh internationals in to a region? If they do that is pretty much the Drags/WRU having a Monopoly over the labour market which as well as being unfair has tenuous legalities. Combined with Gats Law 101 its basically saying you have to play in Wales and you have to play for the Dragons.

On another note my mates son spoke to someone at a concert who is a friend of the groundsman at y Parc who said he had been told by someone in the club the HP is a done deal and he's definitely coming to us...True story.

Brillliant!  You can tell it's the off-season.  My aunty's, nextdoor neighbour's, best friend's dustman reckons  he's seen pigs flying LOLLOLLOL
Joshua24:15
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:19pm
I'm at a point where I don't actual care who he signs for, just as long as it hurries up and happens so it ends the constant speculation.

Personally i'm torn on the whole thing, he's obviously a quality player but I just feel he wouldn't be that committed to us as a club. He supposedly came down to see the facilities at PYS at some point last season with the view of possibly signing before remaining at Toulon for another year. 

It almost seems like we're only now good enough because he's not wanted in Toulon, coupled with the rumour he wants to go to Super Rugby after this next contract means we'd just seem like a convenient stop gap club for him. Not sure how well that sits with me.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:30pm
As we are losing the best 15 in Wales he would be a welcome addition. Hopefully that best 15 in Wales would be back by the time Leigh goes to Super Rugby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic