Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Halfpenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:15pm
Literally it is two. However when someone says I'm having a couple of pints tonight I take that as a few .

Edited by LLANDRE - 16 October 2017 at 9:48pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:17pm
We lost the match by gifting them two tries.

Leigh, what with returning to Toulon, would have been under more pressure than usual. He'll win us more games than he'll lose us.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 9:23pm
Like I mentioned in the match thread, Leigh is still finding his feet. He took a brave punt joining a club that’s first thought is always to run the ball back at the opposition, bearing in mind who he’s been playing his rugby for in recent years. He is already showing signs of improvement with ball in hand, he ran a lovely line for his try yesterday (on the outside shoulder of the centre) and scored another lovely try at PYS the other week (taking an inside line off Stefan Evans).
That last kick was difficult, even for someone of Leigh’s calibre.
He’s only going to get better and he’s going to win us more games than he cost us.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I prefer 2. A couple makes it sound like more.

In what context is a couple anything other than 2?

A coupling literally means 2 pieces together.Confused

He didn’t say a coupling of kicks. Besides. To couple means to have intercourse as well.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Apart from his first pen attempt and kamakaze tackle thought he was very good yesterday brave and every time he took ball he looked to run as he used to, beat quite a few players as well. Is going to be a great signing starting to fit in well with our style and looks like he's loving his rugby again. Hope he fit for Friday we need him.

And to be overly harsh, those two lead to an 8 point swing which effectively lost us the game.

To me, he is currently a work in progress and appears to be in a similar position where Foxy was this time last year; Foxy`s contribution before Xmas (maybe even Easter) last season wasn`t poor, it just wasn`t anywhere near the level we all know he was capable of. Halfpenny will come good but I don`t think we will see the best of him till after Christmas. 

I`m just hoping he won`t be picked for the Autumn Internationals. A Team Wales beasting is the last thing he needs at this moment in time.
In Pivac we trust
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Apart from his first pen attempt and kamakaze tackle thought he was very good yesterday brave and every time he took ball he looked to run as he used to, beat quite a few players as well. Is going to be a great signing starting to fit in well with our style and looks like he's loving his rugby again. Hope he fit for Friday we need him.

And to be overly harsh, those two lead to an 8 point swing which effectively lost us the game.

To me, he is currently a work in progress and appears to be in a similar position where Foxy was this time last year; Foxy`s contribution before Xmas (maybe even Easter) last season wasn`t poor, it just wasn`t anywhere near the level we all know he was capable of. Halfpenny will come good but I don`t think we will see the best of him till after Christmas. 

I`m just hoping he won`t be picked for the Autumn Internationals. A Team Wales beasting is the last thing he needs at this moment in time.

That is a pretty fair summation of where Leigh is at the moment. The comparison with Foxy is also spot on. The tackle was one of those things and in all honesty I have seen Liam making a total botch of that sort of tackle as well. What is not usual is him missing both of the penalties. 99 times out of a hundred he would have nailed that first one which would have got us to 10-3 instead of a couple of minutes later being 15-0. He will get his mojo back & will prove to be one of our better signings. 
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

That is a pretty fair summation of where Leigh is at the moment. The comparison with Foxy is also spot on. The tackle was one of those things and in all honesty I have seen Liam making a total botch of that sort of tackle as well. What is not usual is him missing both of the penalties. 99 times out of a hundred he would have nailed that first one which would have got us to 10-3 instead of a couple of minutes later being 15-0. He will get his mojo back & will prove to be one of our better signings. 

I agree apart from the missed kicks and the missed tackle I thought he was excellent on Sunday. Fantastic under the high ball and then made yards once he'd secured it. Picked some intelligent lines, linked well, beat a few would be tacklers. Yes a work in progress, but definitely a work in progress which is working and is working quicker than I expected.

And to be fair that winger will run over the top of more than a couple of players this season and you can't fault his bravery on that one. The second missed kick; the noise, whistling, booing and jeering in the stadium was incredible, not an excuse but mitigating circumstances.

Unfortunately their is no chance of him not playing for Wales this autumn, especially as it know seems that George will miss at least the first couple.

A nice touch on Sunday, after the players had come over to see us Nonu and a couple of the other Toulon players came and took Leigh off for a lap and a round of applause from the Toulon crowd. Nice gesture and probably shows his standing in the team which he plays.

Edited by diego6754 - 17 October 2017 at 11:01am
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 11:01am

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I prefer 2. A couple makes it sound like more.

In what context is a couple anything other than 2?

A coupling literally means 2 pieces together.Confused

He didn’t say a coupling of kicks. Besides. To couple means to have intercourse as well.

Of course there is an informal definition in the Oxford English Dictionary which would support SA14's point ! (see RED highlight below)

Definition of couple in English:

•  
  •  
  •  

couple

NOUN

• 1Two people or things of the same sort considered together.

‘a couple of girls were playing marbles’

1. 1.1 A pair of partners in a dance or game.

2. 1.2 A pair of hunting dogs.
    3. 1.3couplesTwo collars joined together and used for holding hounds together.
    4. 1.4 A pair of rafters.
    5. 1.5Mechanics A pair of equal and parallel forces acting in opposite directions, and tending to cause rotation about an axis perpendicular to the plane containing them.
  • 2treated as singular or plural Two people who are married or otherwise closely associated romantically or sexually.

‘in three weeks the couple fell in love and became engaged’
    ‘a honeymoon couple’

• 3informal An indefinite small number.

as pronoun ‘he hoped she'd be better in a couple of days’
    ‘we got some eggs—would you like a couple?’
    as determiner ‘just a couple more questions’
    ‘clean the stains with a couple squirts dishwashing liquid’

VERB

• 1often be coupled to/withwith object Link or combine (something) with something else.

‘a sense of hope is coupled with a palpable sense of loss’

1. 1.1 Connect (a railway vehicle or a piece of equipment) to another.
      ‘a cable is coupled up to one of the wheels’

2. 1.2 Connect (two electrical components) using electromagnetic induction, electrostatic charge, or an optical link.
      ‘networks of coupled oscillators’
    3. 1.3couple upno object Join to form a pair.
      ‘the beetles may couple up to form a pair’

• 2no object Mate or have sexual intercourse.

‘as middle-class youth grew more tolerant of sex, they started to couple more often’

Origin

Middle English: from Old French cople (noun), copler (verb), from Latin copula (noun), copulare (verb), from co- ‘together’ + apere ‘fasten’. Compare with copula and copulate.

Pronunciation

couple

/ˈkʌp(ə)l/

Edited by scarletman - 17 October 2017 at 11:03am
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 11:18am
Couple of points here Scarletman-
1. my middle English isn't up to scratch so I have now learned a little about the origins of the word.
2. Scarletfever is a decent, puritanical forum and your obsession with sex should only be allowed after10 o'cock watershed - Freudian slip here I'm afraid.
3. Sh*t -How many is a couple again?                     

TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 12:47pm
Another one on one tackle directly resulting in a try missed. Poor goal kicking percentage and still offering nothing with the ball in hand. 

keep the excuses coming though guys.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Another one on one tackle directly resulting in a try missed. Poor goal kicking percentage and still offering nothing with the ball in hand. 

You really are a prize prat!!!. 15 of our 20 points - no he didn't contribute anything. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 1:34pm
His technique in the tackle was awful and it's not the first time he's moved across to use his right shoulder to the detriment of his noggin, there's no getting away from that but I think he is getting much more involved in the game with us than he has for Wales for a very very long time.
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 1:49pm

You really are a prize prat!!!. 15 of our 20 points - no he didn't contribute anything. 

He's a back 3 player in the best and most prolific try scoring side in the pro 14. Ofcourse hes going to get on the end of some nice team tries and kick a fair few goals. I think if there was a prize for the pratiest reasoning, you just won it...
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 1:53pm
12. Scott
11. Steff
14. Hadleigh
15. Mcnichol
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

His technique in the tackle was awful and it's not the first time he's moved across to use his right shoulder to the detriment of his noggin, there's no getting away from that but I think he is getting much more involved in the game with us than he has for Wales for a very very long time.

As I wrote before, I remain baffled that an experienced international like 1/2p can't tackle without putting his head in front of the carrier's knees - a recipe for failure and concussion! There is no sense at all in trying to prove your bravery by such kamikaze methods - and no-one doubts his guts. He may not have been able to get enough force into the tackle even if he'd used his left shoulder, as he should have done - but he'd have avoided 10 minutes of HIA.

(I remain an admirer.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 2:06pm

He's a back 3 player in the best and most prolific try scoring side in the pro 14. Ofcourse hes going to get on the end of some nice team tries and kick a fair few goals. I think if there was a prize for the pratiest reasoning, you just won it...

Divert as much as you like - your still a prize prat and this site would be far better off without you. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic