Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hayward joins Wales coaching team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I just worry about too many cooks in the defence kitchen and whether the two can work together with coaching egos ? if they can then that's great but its a bit of a worry and looks like a fudge .

Maybe one will work with forward and one with backs.
Or one will work with 2nd 15(Ie Italy this year) the other with first 15.
Whatever way, Edwards is to valuable to let go
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 10:25am
Edwards is in a different league to Byron. No disrespect to Byron there.

Interesting how Pivac, who distanced himself from Edwards as a possible candidate late last year, now has him as close to signing. Putting characters aside, it makes a stack of sense to keep Edwards. Defense is what won the Grand Slam.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Interesting how Pivac, who distanced himself from Edwards as a possible candidate late last year, now has him as close to signing. Putting characters aside, it makes a stack of sense to keep Edwards. Defense is what won the Grand Slam.

TBF I think at the time Edwards had said he was off to Wigan.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 10:44am
Yes my recollection is that Edwards was already saying he was going to coach Wigan by the time Pivac started putting together his team. I don't think the money on offer up North is as much as in Union. I am very surprised that the RFU didn't step in & contract him regardless of Jones's position. 

Another example of muddled thinking by the WRU for me. Cannot see it being a full time position for two coaches so hopefully a way can be found for the regions to benefit from Edwards' expertise. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 11:27am
Feel sorry for Byron as well. Looks ripe for conflict and an early departure unless Edwards makes it work with Byron and indeed viceVersa. WRU seem to have given in to power. Hope it works.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 11:31am
Personally I hope the 2 work well, and as Neil Jenkins does go round the regions training with key players, I hope they go around as well, working with the defensive coaches of the regions.

Remember Byron was with the Scarlets for a few years and up to this year, the defence was good, I feel that a defensive system is build on consistent selection, with only a few changes per week, and with the injuries we had this season, that never happened.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Pivac’s tenure will be a disaster, and that the new team will fall well short of the 12 years of glory we’ve had under Gatland and co.

I hope that the Western Mail don’t return to their poisonous antics of 2006/07 and that the negativity doesn’t pervade into the squad, as that is usually the death knell.

It's worth remembering that there have been times under Gatland as low as the current high. 

At one point it looked as if he'd turned into Wales' Arsene Wenger rather than Wales' Fergie. Think of when we dropped to 9th in the world!

Gatland has really book-ended his tenure with 2 grand slams which means he'll be remembered fondly whatever happens in the world cup, but it's not been all roses and it wont be for Pivac either!

I think that was as a result of the AI we played in 2011 after RWC 2011. Still we beat England at Twickers and ensured that they were the first hosts to exit at the group stage.

It was all part of the plan. Drop to 9th, get Eng in the group stages with another big gun, then take them out. In the words of Colonel John 'Hannibal' Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together". Big smile
Scarlets before Wales
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 1:34pm
Yes I agree utilise one or both of these men to help out the regions a bit too...maybe a monthly clinic ?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

TBF I think at the time Edwards had said he was off to Wigan.

Yes, shook hands on a deal ( but not signed anything).

Just wondering if it was Wayne that drove the dialogue to keep Edwards, or the WRU, feels like the latter, and on the back of Edwards' value being underlined by another slam.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:29pm
I just hope Sean Edwards late recruitment doesn't undermine the camp and Byron Hayward's role, as there seem too many cooks in the kitchen now which to, me certainly wasn't the plan. Hopefully there have been clear the air work talks before this was announced between all parties as we cant have feelings of unjustness creeping in. Pivac's camp was a happy camp and this is needed at Wales.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 4:15pm
Edwards has confirmed that he won't be going to Wigan (or anywhere in RL by the sound of it):

I suppose this makes it even more likely that he will re-sign for Wales, but I'll hold back on that until it is official!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 5:49pm
this has got disaster written all over it where the players who have worked with sean for years will see him as their go to man and given how shambolic our defence has been this year I fear for Byron,
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 8:44pm
I read earlier (can't remember where now)  Byron will be doing a scouting role looking at opposition and how they attack.  Edwards will implement the findings.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 11:04am
Edwards doesn't want to sign the contract offered to him from the WRU as it is only 2 years & doesn't take him through to the 2023 RWC like the rest of the new Welsh coaching team.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 11:53am
could work, but also could be a disaster.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Edwards doesn't want to sign the contract offered to him from the WRU as it is only 2 years & doesn't take him through to the 2023 RWC like the rest of the new Welsh coaching team.

Sounds like another example of the WRU not thinking things through from the outset. Why would Edwards spend two years training up Hayward & then head off mid World Cup cycle when most options will be limited. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic