Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Horizon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horizon
    Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:06pm
So if they prove the existence of the Higgs Boson this year will it mean the beginning of the end for religion as we know it?
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:27pm
Physicists dont believe in anything other than the big bang anyway. (Recorded Horizon will watch it later) But you cant rule out that a god or whatever you want to believe in didnt create the big bang and the whole universe anyway. Its just the old testament that's been made to look twp.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:30pm
Why would it? 

If you read this page written by evangelical conservatives in America, Jesus actually predicted quantum tunnelling in the bible:

The chat page is hilarious where someone is seemingly legitimately discussing the wave particle nature of Jesus.
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Physicists dont believe in anything other than the big bang anyway. (Recorded Horizon will watch it later) But you cant rule out that a god or whatever you want to believe in didnt create the big bang and the whole universe anyway. Its just the old testament that's been made to look twp.
A lot of them now believe in 'inflation' rather than the 'big bang'. Can't get my head around the religion thing to be honest but many do.
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Why would it? 

If you read this page written by evangelical conservatives in America, Jesus actually predicted quantum tunnelling in the bible:

The chat page is hilarious where someone is seemingly legitimately discussing the wave particle nature of Jesus.
Im not sure mate that's why i ask. I would like to think that it's another nail in the coffin so to speak but i have had plenty of 'debates' with religious people to probably realise they will take it all in theis stride and say it proves nawt. At least scientists try to prove/disprove things! Not sure there is any evidence of the big man (except Cantona of course).
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:40pm

Physicists dont believe in anything other than the big bang anyway. (Recorded Horizon will watch it later) 

Not true actually, there was another horizon on recently which presented several alternative ideas on the creation of our universe to the big bang theory (it is only a theory after all).

Edited by dr_martinov - 09 January 2012 at 10:49pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by A Evans A Evans wrote:

Why would it? 

Im not sure mate that's why i ask. I would like to think that it's another nail in the coffin so to speak but i have had plenty of 'debates' with religious people to probably realise they will take it all in theis stride and say it proves nawt. At least scientists try to prove/disprove things! Not sure there is any evidence of the big man (except Cantona of course).

Yup, we try our best to. Mind you, all I've proved today is I didn't set up my experiment correctly over the weekend so now have to repeat it. 

And the funny thing is, if I get it right.... I will need to repeat it! LOL
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:46pm

Why would it? 

Comedy gold this is mun.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:51pm

Why would it? 

I think creationists have actually focused on completely the wrong argument with evolution, because there is overwhelming evidence in favour of it - all the way from the molecular level to multicellular organisms. Their refusal to accept any of it merely proves them to be a load of ignorant idiots with no idea of what evidence, facts and theories are. I have no belief that evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson will change any of their views based on this.

Instead of questioning evolution, they should have been asking questions about why science has not explained "what created the big bang?", "what existed before it?" and "what is our universe expanding in to?" because those are far trickier things to answer.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:59pm

Why would it? 

I think creationists have actually focused on completely the wrong argument with evolution, because there is overwhelming evidence in favour of it - all the way from the molecular level to multicellular organisms. Their refusal to accept any of it merely proves them to be a load of ignorant idiots with no idea of what evidence, facts and theories are. I have no belief that evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson will change any of their views based on this.

Instead of questioning evolution, they should have been asking questions about why science has not explained "what created the big bang?", "what existed before it?" and "what is our universe expanding in to?" because those are far trickier things to answer.

Which was my point earlier. As for what the universe is expanding in to, its expanding to its inevitable death isnt it? when the very last star becomes a dim light and then nothing, darkness. I know this to be true cause Brian Cox told me. Wink

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 11:00pm

So if they prove the existence of the Higgs Boson this year will it mean the beginning of the end for religion as we know it?

No.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 11:03pm

Why would it? 

Comedy gold this is mun.

If you go on a few random articles, you'll find all the evils in the world are because of homosexual liberal atheists. Watch out Stephen Fry I say. Wink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 11:14pm

Why would it? 

Which was my point earlier. As for what the universe is expanding in to, its expanding to its inevitable death isnt it? when the very last star becomes a dim light and then nothing, darkness. I know this to be true cause Brian Cox told me. Wink

As good an answer as any! He played keys for D:Ream mun so must know what he's on about.

What happens after is another interesting question - it will most likely die as you say but will everything return to a single point in a big crunch? or even will our dead universe will somehow be the instigation of the big bang for another, larger universe? There's quite a few ideas about this, if you can find the Horizon on it, "Horizon: What Happened before the Big bang?" it was called.
omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 11:26pm
The really BIG question is -
Will the Galacticos get a Heineken Cup semi-final before the heat death the universe predicted by the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

Edited by omri jones - 10 January 2012 at 11:28am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 12:02am
"No silicon heaven? But where do all the calculators go?"
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 10:35am
Originally posted by no.6 no.6 wrote:

"No silicon heaven? But where do all the calculators go?"

They go to a place where they crunch some numbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic