Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howley
    Posted: 02 February 2018 at 8:58am
Can anyone think of any player from any club who has improved when coached by Howley?
Give Blood, Play Rugby
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 12:50pm
He’s not exactly the best at the moment but we won grand slams and a championship and did well in two world cups with him as coach.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

He’s not exactly the best at the moment but we won grand slams and a championship and did well in two world cups with him as coach.

Despite him as coach seems to be more accurate.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 4:47pm
You feel with Howley and Gatland, if they’d left 5 years ago they’d have walked into top jobs and kept their reputations high.
As it is, they’ve become stale, or are at least perceived to have. Best comparison I can draw is Alex Ferguson, who often changed his number two in order to keep ideas and approaches fresh. Gatland hasn’t done that and his reputation, and Wales’ team, have struggled as a result.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

You feel with Howley and Gatland, if they’d left 5 years ago they’d have walked into top jobs and kept their reputations high.
As it is, they’ve become stale, or are at least perceived to have. Best comparison I can draw is Alex Ferguson, who often changed his number two in order to keep ideas and approaches fresh. Gatland hasn’t done that and his reputation, and Wales’ team, have struggled as a result.

Not disagreeing a new coach with new ideas has been needed for a while, but the difference between those situations is Gatland's secondment with the Lions meant a different relationship with his no. 2 was needed - someone able to take over in his absence for a season, hold the fort but not aim to overthrow him. Howley has been Gatland's ideal number 2 in many ways, hence he hasn't been flushed. Wink
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Not disagreeing a new coach with new ideas has been needed for a while, but the difference between those situations is Gatland's secondment with the Lions meant a different relationship with his no. 2 was needed - someone able to take over in his absence for a season, hold the fort but not aim to overthrow him. Howley has been Gatland's ideal number 2 in many ways, hence he hasn't been flushed. Wink

Very fair point but was that in the best interests of Welsh Rugby - I think not. In Gatland's best interests no doubt. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 5:22pm
The truth is that Howley is a genius, as yesterday's game proved beyond a doubt...

for these reasons....

1. Biggar and Webb injured - forces the choice of Cawdor and Patch.

2. It's a no brainer to pick hadleigh and Scott outside those two, especially as they're the men in possession of the shirts.

3. Steff gets in as North is only just back from injury.

4. 1/2p is the kicker as Patch is not trusted 100% with those duties.

So - whether you like it or not, there are 6 Scarlets (plus one academy product) in the backs.

Now - the big question - do you, in a couple of weeks, teach these guys to play the Howley/Gats way? or do you go with what they usually do?

Makes sense to play the Scarlets way... again, a no-brainer - plus you say that it's a big step up from regional level.

Result! If Wales win, Gats and Howley get the plaudits ( I didn't hear anyone praising Stevo or Pivac at the final whistle). If Wales lose, the step up was too big, plus the regional style didn't translate to the test level.

(BTW - I have great respect fot AWJ, but it was noticeable that he blew two tries by giving poor passes - one by Steff's bootlaces, and another - easier to take, but still - to Anscombe's face. Can't help but feel that 6 months of Stevo's drills and we'd have had two more tries.)
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 5:40pm
When you look at the side yesterday, the only no -scarlet players (barring injuries and garlands refusal to play Cubby)are areas were looking to strengthen.

SR - Awj was not up to pace with our playing style and caused a few missed tries. I would take Bierne any day on form.Hill was in for Ball.
No.7 although Navidi has a good game, I think Cubby would have shone with the style of game.
No8 we desperately need one. I’m glad we haven’t gone for Moriarty. He looks damaged goods now. He held back in more that one tackle. I remember him hitting English forwards all over the park.
Wing. He was ours, now he’s not but we got Jonny Mac at home. No more to be said.

In theory it was a scarlet side minus our non-welsh contingent. None of those would make our starting line up and only AWJ would make our 23.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

When you look at the side yesterday, the only no -scarlet players (barring injuries and garlands refusal to play Cubby)are areas were looking to strengthen.

SR - Awj was not up to pace with our playing style and caused a few missed tries. I would take Bierne any day on form.Hill was in for Ball.
No.7 although Navidi has a good game, I think Cubby would have shone with the style of game.
No8 we desperately need one. I’m glad we haven’t gone for Moriarty. He looks damaged goods now. He held back in more that one tackle. I remember him hitting English forwards all over the park.
Wing. He was ours, now he’s not but we got Jonny Mac at home. No more to be said.

In theory it was a scarlet side minus our non-welsh contingent. None of those would make our starting line up and only AWJ would make our 23.
stop being so chuffing one eyed I thought alun wyn was outstanding yesterday,wales is about more than just scarlets players ,if you or I are lucky enough to still be around in 30 years do you think they will be
talking about jake ball or alun wyn or bierne.?
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:29pm
Fully agree with you ladram. Alum Wyn absolutely outstanding as a player and captain.
Keep the faith
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

stop being so chuffing one eyed I thought alun wyn was outstanding yesterday,wales is about more than just scarlets players ,if you or I are lucky enough to still be around in 30 years do you think they will be
talking about jake ball or alun wyn or bierne.?

AWJ is most probably the best NH second row of his generation, but every one has a breaking point. I agree In the tight yes. In open play not so much. You’re right , I am one eyed. And proud. But he’s beginning to show cracks in his armour.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:35pm
P.s on current form the only SR Iwould swap Bierne for is Nakatarwa (forgive the spelling). AWJ included.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 9:34pm
AWJ is sometimes difficult, cantankerous,stroppy, biligerent, determined, passionate but always a leader. Such a proud Welshman. Great player and will go down as one of the great modern one club players.

Edited by reesytheexile - 04 February 2018 at 9:35pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 9:46pm
Well lets hope we can merge all our talents and resources into a great Welsh side. I totally agree with the poster though. Howler and co only picked the best fly half in Wales due to injures otherwise they would have bottled it and reverted to type. Either way we are where we are and lets just hope these timid coaches dont go back into their shell again. North, liam , amos are all allegedly all match fit now it will be fascinating to see who makes the 23 for the Saes
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 7:50am
AWJ had a fantastic game. Pass to Steff understandable as hard to get those right. One to Anscombe less easy to have sympathy for but Alun's work rate was amazing and if anything I think he is getting better. But agree 6 months of training with us would make him even better and an even better passer. Passing used to be Foxy's big issue.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 8:46am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

The truth is that Howley is a genius, as yesterday's game proved beyond a doubt...

for these reasons....

1. Biggar and Webb injured - forces the choice of Cawdor and Patch.

2. It's a no brainer to pick hadleigh and Scott outside those two, especially as they're the men in possession of the shirts.

3. Steff gets in as North is only just back from injury.

4. 1/2p is the kicker as Patch is not trusted 100% with those duties.

So - whether you like it or not, there are 6 Scarlets (plus one academy product) in the backs.

Now - the big question - do you, in a couple of weeks, teach these guys to play the Howley/Gats way? or do you go with what they usually do?

Makes sense to play the Scarlets way... again, a no-brainer - plus you say that it's a big step up from regional level.

Result! If Wales win, Gats and Howley get the plaudits ( I didn't hear anyone praising Stevo or Pivac at the final whistle). If Wales lose, the step up was too big, plus the regional style didn't translate to the test level.

(BTW - I have great respect fot AWJ, but it was noticeable that he blew two tries by giving poor passes - one by Steff's bootlaces, and another - easier to take, but still - to Anscombe's face. Can't help but feel that 6 months of Stevo's drills and we'd have had two more tries.)

So is that praising Howley or not. I’m confused. This is an awfully one eyed topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic