Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 9:04am
I would certainly pick Beirne ahead of AWJ but only because one is 25 and the other 32. Both are excellent 2nd rows & judging by Ireland's performance in Paris Beirne would walk into their team. 
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 9:11am
Nothing wrong with AWJ's pass to Anscombe, and the one to Steff though dropping when it reached him was catchable. After all Wyn Jones had no trouble catching his difficult pass 😋
Keep the faith
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 12:35pm
Wyn's pass was in front of him, he had clear sight of the ball, and he was running towards the ball. However it was a fantastic catch all things considered. 

Steff's pass was low, behind him, and so he was running away from the ball. Not a fair comparison in my view. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 3:09pm
The thing is with Howley, I fail to see what he has done. Gatland had a game plan, Howley simply said ok!

The challenge for Howley is coaching without Gatland...He has already tried this in Gatlands sabbatical...wasn't great viewing was it.

Its not one eyed view Wales played the same way the Scarlets have for the past 18months - not surprising given the amount starting.

When non Scarlet fans are stating things like:
"It must be easy coaching a team that turns up to camp already playing like that".

Has he bettered any player? unfair question perhaps as the regions get these players to international standard.

Personally, I do not rate Howely as an attack coach. Never have. That's just taste I suppose. The fact that Blues fans would prefer Blues to be coachless than bring in Howley again, shows a lot - and he is one of their own.

I'd just like to add, the non scarlet players on Saturday slotted in well. Though...im no lover of Cory Hill at all.
AWJ was magnificent although in parts he did show he was struggling to keep up with the pace telling patch (I think) to slow down whilst he caught his breath!!! but then he has not been in that type of game in his career. so some players are bound to feel the burn when they are not used to it. despite that, he was magnificent - as usual. Wales and Ospreys will seriously miss him when he hangs up his boots.
Josh Navidi - possibly his game. although the way the game went I did expect more from him in attack - unless I missed his attacking play. His defence and breakdown work was top drawer which allowed us to get the ball moving quick and win pens in vital areas when defending. I do think that had Cubby been playing, it could have been a cricket score as he plays the role magnificently being the link between forwards and backs. We wont see him in a Welsh jersey this 6N imo.
Josh Adams - did not look out of place one bit. I felt he lacked possibly a little top end pace to finish off when he was put clear only to be caught - with the angle he had, I thought he could have finished it off...but recycled...lost the ball a few times BUT defensively sound, and as I said, did not look out of place and deserves to keep the shirt ahead of the England fixture.
Ross Morriarty - granted not fully fit, didnt seem offer much.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 3:38pm
Adams is probably a little quicker than Steff but does not possess his magic feet, eye for the gap and priceless gift of keeping the ball alive. I would think North would find his way into the team for the England game with Liam possibly replacing Watkin on the bench. 

With regard to Howley I too have never rated him as a coach. For him to say pre game that it was going to be the Wales play book not the Scarlets was a classic. Of course we have all seen Biggar starting passing moves from his own 22 over the last 5 years - how could I have possibly forgotten!!!!! The man is delusional.

The non Scarlet players certainly bought into the way Patchell decided to play - thats not hard to understand what rugby player doesn't want to express himself. Where it will get more difficult is in a close game when one mistake could cost. The whole squad need to trust themselves and their abilities.  Saturday will be a big test against the 2nd best team in the World. We are stronger in the back row, front 5 looks very even. Our 9,10 12, & 13 will hold the key. England's midfield defensively, regardless of who plays at 13, is vulnerable. They are also very dangerous in attack.

We need to probe hard down the 10/12 channel with Parkes, Scott, Steff & North; Watson will be very aware that the Scarlets players do not fear him and back themselves to score tries against anyone & everyone. I hope that Brown gets selected at 15; if we can devise a plan that keeps Hogg & Seymour quiet then we should be able to do the same with Brown & Watson. We need another massive defensive shift from the boys and we could well be celebrating a famous victory. 

I really do hope that Gatland acknowledges eventually that luck has delivered him a trump carhut far less emphatic. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Adams is probably a little quicker than Steff but does not possess his magic feet, eye for the gap and priceless gift of keeping the ball alive. I would think North would find his way into the team for the England game with Liam possibly replacing Watkin on the bench. 

With regard to Howley I too have never rated him as a coach. For him to say pre game that it was going to be the Wales play book not the Scarlets was a classic. Of course we have all seen Biggar starting passing moves from his own 22 over the last 5 years - how could I have possibly forgotten!!!!! The man is delusional.

The non Scarlet players certainly bought into the way Patchell decided to play - thats not hard to understand what rugby player doesn't want to express himself. Where it will get more difficult is in a close game when one mistake could cost. The whole squad need to trust themselves and their abilities.  Saturday will be a big test against the 2nd best team in the World. We are stronger in the back row, front 5 looks very even. Our 9,10 12, & 13 will hold the key. England's midfield defensively, regardless of who plays at 13, is vulnerable. They are also very dangerous in attack.

We need to probe hard down the 10/12 channel with Parkes, Scott, Steff & North; Watson will be very aware that the Scarlets players do not fear him and back themselves to score tries against anyone & everyone. I hope that Brown gets selected at 15; if we can devise a plan that keeps Hogg & Seymour quiet then we should be able to do the same with Brown & Watson. We need another massive defensive shift from the boys and we could well be celebrating a famous victory. 

I really do hope that Gatland acknowledges eventually that luck has delivered him a trump carhut far less emphatic. 
good post. although not sure I can agree about adams/steff pace. maybe adams gets quicker with a longer run where steff is more instant acceleration where the two differ. always felt that about Josh even when he was here though. he is a more than safe selection though. No mug at all in attack, and defensively strong.
He has certainly got North waking up after his display for Northampton the other week.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

AWJ had a fantastic game. Pass to Steff understandable as hard to get those right. One to Anscombe less easy to have sympathy for but Alun's work rate was amazing and if anything I think he is getting better. But agree 6 months of training with us would make him even better and an even better passer. Passing used to be Foxy's big issue.

Agree - and made this point in another thread.

AWJ is a fantastic leader and player - his passing skills under pressure, though, would certainly be improved by spending time with Stevo and his drills. The commentators were delighted with Samson's flick pass on Saturday - Steff did the same to put 1/2p over for one of his tries.

That sort of skill under pressure comes from repeating the act often in training... apparently not something the Os spend as much time on as the Scarlets.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic