Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Injuries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Injuries
    Posted: 16 October 2018 at 6:15pm
Injuries have ruined our season to date and in my opinion are behind the reason we've had a rather stop start beginning to the new season.

I've grouped the players unavailable currently into sections.

Out long term
Aaron Shingler
James Davies
Jonathan Evans
Angus O'Brian

Some of these players will be back in January / February but Angus we won't see until end of the season or start of next season. I wish him all the best in his recovery.

Missing for the next few weeks
Tom Prydie
Lewis Rawlins

Missing Friday
Johnny McNicholl
Jake Ball (possibly)

Missing Friday and potentially longer
Rhys Patchell (very worryingly Warren Gatland said today that Rhys might need a break from rugby for a spell after his two HIAs recently. George North has a break and was out of action for five months.)

Banned
Kieran Fonotia

How we need some of these players at the moment and over the next few weeks. Around 6 or 7 of these players are current in our best match day 23. Over the next few weeks we really need a dry spell from injuries, if we pick up any more then it could really affect our season and our ambitions. If Dan Jones picks up an injury in the coming weeks then all our 10s are out.

eds
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 6:27pm
It's about average for a club to have this sort of injury/suspension profile ( I think Cassiem is missing, or is he back this week?).

What's been highly unusual is the amount of players that have also already missed at least a game or two in the first 6 or so games this season...Fox, Steff, Parkes, Asquith, Boyde, Macloed, Rob Evs, Samson, Halfpenny and probably a few others have all gone through the seemingly perpetually revolving door to the medical staff room.

I can't think of anyone who has started all games.

Edited by Wil Chips - 16 October 2018 at 6:28pm
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 6:37pm
It’s about time the powers to be looked at the injuries. I’ve been saying for years we shouldn’t have 8 subs. Players know they only have 40/50 mins to play so go all out. Gareth Davies (WRU) joined this thinking last season. And of course with all the muscle build it’s a vastly different game
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 6:49pm
perhaps because we have reverted to kicking the ball away means we are defending for large parts of the game and taking more big hits.
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 6:59pm
Not sure If the injuries can be attributed to us kicking the ball away?
Don't think we generally kick the ball too much, in fact perhaps against Bath at home last year we didntkick it enough given the weather, would agree that we didn't kick it very well though last Saturday .
saundersfoot scarlets
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 7:20pm
welsh rugby has always been below standard in aerial kicking and re-starts
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 7:43pm
Wonder if a short term deal will come in in the backs.
With Patch potentially out for a spell, Angus out for a good few months, potentially the season, a bit thin at 10 especially during internationals.
Siddell Boyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siddell Boyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 11:35am
In response to PE SA, I agree we could see an exciting signing at 10 to cover us for the short term/ season. I would love to see an old head 10, fairly big name come in and pull the strings in our back line for a while. 

Whats Stephen 'Beaver' Donald up to nowadays?
Oh that's a huge Gary Owen
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 11:52am
As mentioned elsewhere, Owen Williams has had 3 replacement appearances for Glaws this season, displaced by Cipriani at 10 and others at 12. Might be the opportunity to bring him home, although if Eddy calls up Cips, Owen will surely get more starts at Kingsholm in November...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It's about average for a club to have this sort of injury/suspension profile ( I think Cassiem is missing, or is he back this week?).

What's been highly unusual is the amount of players that have also already missed at least a game or two in the first 6 or so games this season...Fox, Steff, Parkes, Asquith, Boyde, Macloed, Rob Evs, Samson, Halfpenny and probably a few others have all gone through the seemingly perpetually revolving door to the medical staff room.

I can't think of anyone who has started all games.

Yes its really been frustrating. I think you can add Rawlins & Cummins to that list. As far as ever present only Blade comes to my mind.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 12:23pm
Cassiem is available for selection this week. This Friday, we can still field a back line of:
1/2P, Steff, Foxy, Saucie, Prydie, Dan, Cawdor, 
 (with any of Caws/Asquith/ Possibly Patch/ SHC on the bench)

And a Pack of:
Rob, Ken, Samson, Bulbring, Jake, Blade, Boyde, McLeod

With Win/Elias/Kruger/Price/Dan D on the bench.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Cassiem is available for selection this week. This Friday, we can still field a back line of:

And a Pack of:

Prydie is out for another 5-6 weeks unfortunately.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

And a Pack of:

I'm not sure Dan is in the European squad & Patch has already been ruled out.

Jake is also under going a late fitness test before the squad travel to Leicester.

Edited by Fscarlet - 17 October 2018 at 12:29pm
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 12:46pm
Cheers for the corrections!
Must try harder!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

welsh rugby has always been below standard in aerial kicking and re-starts

'Always' is a very long time. You mean: 'in recent years'.

For those of us old enough and with long memories: in 1967 (I think) Wales played England at the Arms Park on a mud-bath with a gale force wind blowing towards the Westgate Street end. In the first half, with Wales playing into the wind, David Watkins kicked the ball low and managed to gain territory despite the conditions. Second half - the English kicked high, gained zero ground and lost heavily (for the era).

Happy days!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 12:51pm
We are starting to look a little light in a few areas - back 3, 10 & 2nd row. This Friday I see us looking like :-

Leigh, Asquith, Foxy, Hadleigh, Steff, Dan, Cawdor
Wyn, Ken, Samson, Jake/Price, Bulbring, Kennedy, Boyde, Blade.

Ryan, Rob, Werne, Price/Helps, McLeod, SHC, Steff Hughes, Ioan.

Longer term the injury to Rhys is very concerning. I am sure the club will be following the England squad selection closely as if Cipriani is omitted then talks could commence over a loan deal for Owen Williams. His non featuring for Gloucester is apparently not down to injury so is baffling. He played pretty well at 12 for Wales in Autumn 2017 & has certainly not become a bad player since then. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic