Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iongi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote owaingruff93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iongi
    Posted: 13 December 2011 at 11:54am
Hate to be negative, but this topic has been on my mind since the Ulster game. I dont think Iongi's good enough! I know some on here will disagree / say my opinion is too early, but although his attacking attributes seem very good, his defence could really cost us. In the Ulster game he was actually Avoiding tackles! Opposition will be targeting him unless he majorly improves his defence I dont think he's good enough! Dont think I've ever seen a player avoiding his defensive duties. Even Rhodri Wms attempted to tackle Ferris.

I think he should play for Llanelli for a few weeks at least!
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by owaingruff93 owaingruff93 wrote:

Hate to be negative, but this topic has been on my mind since the Ulster game. I dont think Iongi's good enough! I know some on here will disagree / say my opinion is too early, but although his attacking attributes seem very good, his defence could really cost us. In the Ulster game he was actually Avoiding tackles! Opposition will be targeting him unless he majorly improves his defence I dont think he's good enough! Dont think I've ever seen a player avoiding his defensive duties. Even Rhodri Wms attempted to tackle Ferris.

I think he should play for Llanelli for a few weeks at least!
why even rhodri williams,i've not seen him syhirk defence for us or drovers.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
thommo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:11pm
Give the guy a chance don't judge after one game. Did not notice him avoiding tackles in fairness.
owaingruff93 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote owaingruff93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:18pm
I'm talking about the Ferris try with Rhodri by the way. Not criticizing him in any way.

I knew people would say to give him a chance, but I think he should spend time in the semi-pros to gain experience and get used to the adaptions of the games in Wales/UK. I know we should give players a chance but I think we should give him time for RFC to prove his worth.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:37pm
He can beat a man on a sixpence. Stoddard can't tackle yet he is a huge asset to us.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
The Mad Monk View Drop Down
Not so mad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mad Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:11pm
to small
please sign my partition for shingler on wing http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/shingler-on-the-wing
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by The Mad Monk The Mad Monk wrote:

to small
He can beat a man on a sixpence he is electric. They said the same thing about Shane Williams. You haven't even seen him play properly
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
stuscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

to small

He can beat a man on a sixpence he is electric. They said the same thing about Shane Williams. You haven't even seen him play properly

It's also a bit soon for shane Williams comparisons
Why are Leicester called the tigers surely the cheatahs would be more appropriate
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by stuscarlet stuscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

to small

It's also a bit soon for shane Williams comparisons
I agree but I was just making the point that you can't judge a player on his size alone.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:48pm
I've seen all the games Iongi played in the RWC and one of the warm ups, and the cameo with the Scarlets. So far I've seen genuine pace and defensive frailities.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:49pm
Wait until he gets some real space, then we'll see his qualities! Star Just as a matter of interest, did you gents see him play in the Churchill Cup? He was absolutely outstanding, and I can see why we have signed him! Clap
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I've seen all the games Iongi played in the RWC and one of the warm ups, and the cameo with the Scarlets. So far I've seen genuine pace and defensive frailities.
Just like Shane then?
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:53pm
We could play T F ot 157cb if they play well ?? Wink
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:54pm
Yes saw him in one of the games of the latter stages, can't remember who against..US or Italy I think. Got a try too.
stuscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 3:56pm
Perhaps he will be learning Shane's lie down and pull them ontop of you tackle
Why are Leicester called the tigers surely the cheatahs would be more appropriate
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 4:00pm

Iongi is far from the finished article. at only 22, just out of brumbies acadamy, he has signed his first pro deal. none of the youngsters coming through our ranks are perfect. there is no player in the world that is perfect. Iongi has a weaknes in defence. so did regan king!! as mentioned, so di shane williams (and still not perfect). what we have in him that you can not coach is top pace. he is a try scorer. and being tongan he does go for the tackles...also being tongan, 9 times out of 10, because of his size, he may be barged out of the way, but i can assure you that that 1 time out of 10, there will be a lovely tongan tackle. he does not shy away from tackles. i think what you are refering to owain gruff is when he was runnning to cover HIS man when ferris went for that try.

as i said, we all know Iongi is far from perfect, but he is a prospect at the end of the day, and one that will be with us for selection all year round. we have lacked finishers in our squad when north, foxy, stoddart are all out with wales/injured, now we have Iongi who knows how to reach the try line and how to reach it in style.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic