Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales Thread (& teams)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland v Wales Thread (& teams)
    Posted: 04 February 2020 at 2:33pm

Ireland: Jordan Larmour; Andrew Conway, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Peter O’Mahony, CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier.

Replacements: Ronan Kelleher, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Devin Toner, Max Deegan, John Cooney, Ross Byrne, Keith Earls.

Sponsored Links

NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 2:39pm
Garry Ringrose out with a broken thumb so Robbie Henshaw starts at outside centre and Keith Earls benches, & Caelan Doris hasn't recovered from his first half HIA against Scotland so Stander starts at 8, O'Mahony gets back in on the blindside flank and uncapped Max Deegan covers the back row.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 2:47pm
Good back row there for Ireland, I think this could well be tight. We're going to have to look after the ball well & give them next to no chance of the jackel. For that reason I would pick Ball over Beard as I think he cleans out well.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Ireland: Jordan Larmour; Andrew Conway, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Peter O’Mahony, CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier.

Replacements: Ronan Kelleher, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Devin Toner, Max Deegan, John Cooney, Ross Byrne, Keith Earls.

Story here on BBC:

Two injury enforced changes only - let's hope Ireland play as badly as they did v the Scots.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 5:05pm
some big carries in that irish pack, also VDF and O'mahony are v good at the breakdown

Wales will miss naividi and his  physical strength saturday, maybe  I would look at   playing moriarty over  wainwright give us some gain line "brunt in attack and defence

all this nonsense about furlong and co being injured load of rubbish from the irish media

I hope we stuff them on the weekend

Edited by RR1972 - 04 February 2020 at 5:06pm
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 5:11pm
Liam out until at least England match according to BBC.
Joshua24:15
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Big blow that, so looks like north or jonny mac on the wing and Tomkins to 13 , seems the logical choice

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

some big carries in that irish pack, also VDF and O'mahony are v good at the breakdown

Wales will miss naividi and his  physical strength saturday, maybe  I would look at   playing moriarty over  wainwright give us some gain line "brunt in attack and defence

all this nonsense about furlong and co being injured load of rubbish from the irish media

I hope we stuff them on the weekend

Not really:

"Dave Kilcoyne, who was taken off for a HIA having been brought on as a second-half replacement, is fit to retain his place in the squad." (BBC) 

so he was injured but they think he's OK.

As for Furlong - he was reckoned to have a calf injury by the TV commentators during the match, but presumably not serious enough to rule him out. Nothing to do with the Irish media (for once)!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 7:49am
Kilcoyne has been named but still has to finish his HIA protocols. McGrath on standby. Our front row selections are going to be key.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 7:51am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Big blow that, so looks like north or jonny mac on the wing and Tomkins to 13 , seems the logical choice

If he sticks with North or goes with Tompkins at 13 is an interesting one, isn't Tompkins more a 12? In any case, either player will be targeted by Ireland. Their back row can do some damage and set piece usually strong. Murray got slated for his rubbish box kicking against Scotland but this is usually reliable so I'd imagine he'd be back to consistency v us. Liam would have been great on the wing to counter this. No need to get too reactionary to them, either. I think we should be thinking of how we can worry them - player like Cawdor especially and get Sexton off his game and it's a different Ireland.
"We're thrown to the wolves in the minds of our enemies." - unknown philosopher.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 7:58am
Disrupt their scrum by which I mean don't give them easy penalties/field position and get to Murray/Sexton. That will go a long way to deciding the outcome of this game. Cue Cawdor & WGJ if fit. The C00ney roadshow is putting pressure on Murray and he can't afford another mediocre game. 

Farrell is under pressure from the Irish media/fans to bring a more expansive game & to blood the many young players in the squad. If our set piece is solid we have the ammunition available to win. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 9:06am
How Murray has retained his place is anyones guess, he is part of the reason Irelands game has become so stale. Cooney is probably best scrum half in Europe atm he hasn’t had the opportunity to show it yet in international colours. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

How Murray has retained his place is anyones guess, he is part of the reason Irelands game has become so stale. Cooney is probably best scrum half in Europe atm he hasn’t had the opportunity to show it yet in international colours. 

Cooney is the best scrum half in Ireland at the moment but Europe is stretching it. He isn't in the same league as Duponte & Serin & Cawdor would give him a run for his money. He should however start for Ireland but I am afraid its another case of reputation over form - at least that issue is not only in Wales. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 10:47am
The 2 leinster props have been our undoing in the past....Id bring carre and will griff onto the bench for this one. That means brown misses out and wyn jones. Id start rob evans with carre as cover.
clearly carre and griff are doing the business in england and carre settled into test rugby very well already. I cant see many other changes just scrum half and tompkins 13, north back to wing with johnny mac to the bench.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 11:13am
weather is lousy which means we will probably have to play a tighter game

who is best under the high ball and in defence jonny mac or north?

also I can see Williams  getting the nod at 9 due to his better kicking game

the pack really have to front up Saturday,i think we need to pick our biggest most physical set of forwards

so for me I'd look at a starting 8 of

rob / wyn jones ken wgj
ball awj
morairty tips toby f

carre elias brown hill wainwright  on bench

wyn jones seems to be conceding a lot of pens lately so maybe give rob a start?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 12:07pm
Dewi Lake now travelling to Dublin.
been training all week with Wales and is now part of the 6N squad.

Has Dee suffered a set back? or has Ken or Elias picked up an injury?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic