Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Israel Folau

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 2:27pm

Edited by roy munster - 15 April 2019 at 9:20pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Freedom of speech is dead
More nonsense.

Did that vile labour MP lose her job over the tweet that the girls who where groomed should shut their mouths for diversity?
I honestly don’t have a clue what you’re on about. Could you send me a link and/or explain the point you’re trying to make?

The fact is, the ARU are his employers. They pay him. If he continually brings their business into disrepute, costs them money or hurts their image, they are entitled to stop paying him. You agree that is fair?

Whatever ridiculous comparisons you’ve made such as people being arrested for misgendering someone don’t really work unless they were also employed by the ARU.

There’s no conspiracy to shut down free speech here. Folau was perfectly entitled to believe whatever backwards, twisted things he liked in private. Just as anyone is allowed to have a beer on the weekend or in the evening. But turn up to work drunk and expect a caution or a firing. Spread homophobic/hateful views when acting as an ambassador for your employee and/or other brands (such as ASICS who I’m pretty sure sponsored him) and expect a caution (which he had) or a firing.

If you need any more explaining let me know.

It shows how social media and the press pick up on certain things and run with it and if you think it's ok for a labour MP to still be in a job , after liking a tweet telling girls abused by grooming gangs to shut up, then your need to open your eyes
If it bleeds we can can kill it
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:00pm
https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/23/mp-shares-tweet-saying-abuse-victims-should-shut-their-mouths-for-good-of-diversity-6872181/
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:01pm

It shows how social media and the press pick up on certain things and run with it and if you think it's ok for a labour MP to still be in a job , after liking a tweet telling girls abused by grooming gangs to shut up, then your need to open your eyes
When did I say that?
Well done for conveniently avoiding all points I made as well.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:07pm

When did I say that?

So did u push along with all the outraged social media warriors for her to lose her job?
Or does it not fit your narrative?
You asked what this had to do with Foloua, it shows the double standards of social media
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:09pm
Like how you had no answer for the labour MP not losing her job though
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:14pm
I'll explain to you Falaou used a quote from the Bible it upset people, his employer sacks him due to the social backlash, a labour MP retweets and likes a vile post about grooming gangs victims, this mp keeps her job.
Can you not see double standards
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:18pm

When did I say that?

So did u push along with all the outraged social media warriors for her to lose her job?
You asked what this had to do with Foloua, it shows the double standards of social media
No I didn’t push along with all the “outraged social media warriors” because I didn’t know it had happened til I read your link about 5 minutes ago.
I don’t know what my “narrative” is.

I’ll be honest, I don’t really understand what your point is. You’ve said you think freedom of speech is dead yet the point you’ve made is that someone didn’t lose their job for saying something offensive, which is surely what you’re advocating?

I can think of a couple of ways the two situations are different though (not that I condone either):

It’s not Israel Folau’s first “misdemeanour”.
I believe the Labour MP deleted her RT ASAP. Folau’s remains up.
They are employed by different people, with possibly differing social media guidelines in the workplace.
Israel Folau is a highly popular, powerful figure in Australian rugby, with multimillion Aus $ contracts associated with him.

I’m hoping you’re being deliberately obtuse in trying to compare the two.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:21pm

When did I say that?

No I didn’t push along with all the “outraged social media warriors” because I didn’t know it had happened til I read your link about 5 minutes ago.

I’ll be honest, I don’t really understand what your point is. You’ve said you think freedom of speech is dead yet the point you’ve made is that someone didn’t lose their job for saying something offensive, which is surely what you’re advocating?

I can think of a couple of ways the two situations are different though (not that I condone either):

They are employed by different people, with possibly differing social media guidelines in the workplace.
Israel Folau is a highly popular, powerful figure in Australian rugby, with multimillion Aus $ contracts associated with him.

The labour MP has previous in regard with Israel and Jews and no she didn't delete asap , also she is employed by the British people as an MP , would you want her as your representative? Very strange if you do.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 3:25pm
So if Folau had deleted the quote not his words, there would of been no problem?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 4:38pm
Just as a reminder of what he did post:

In the wake of a decision in Tasmania for optional listing of gender on birth certificates, Folau posted on Instagram: “Warning – Drunks, Homosexuals, Adulterers, Liars, Fornicators, Thieves, Atheists, Idolaters. HELL AWAITS YOU. REPENT! ONLY JESUS SAVES

The quote commented on by Mark Agnew as follows:

Israel Folau posts homophobic social media rant: diverse views are fine, but this expression is a hate crime

• Language is powerful, and the way Folau chose to make his point differentiates it from free speech and makes it bigotry
  • Strong and condemning phrases empower other bigots to act on their homophobia – make Folau’s Tweet a hate crime"

"The man doesn’t beat around the bush. Folau has now entered the murky area between free speech, the right to religious views and out and out hate speech."

That seems about right to me - it is indeed a 'murky area',  but Folau has gone some way beyond simply expressing disagreement with or distaste for the ideas and behaviours of the various groups he condemns (that is evidently his right). As an atheist, TBH I find the idea that I've been condemned to hell pretty funny... but no doubt others will be seriously disturbed by the venom in his post.

And the reality in this day and age is that sponsors and advertisers (no matter how liberal or bigoted they may be in private) do not tolerate statements which will likely affect their profits. No morality there - just a statement of how the world works ATM.

Whether what Folau did merited a sacking, I'm not sure - didn't he have previous? It was certainly a case for a reprimand at the very least.

I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 5:53pm

there's freedom of speech and being a ****
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Still his right to say it though, then others can judge him
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 9:04pm
i don’t get where freedom of speech is a challenge in this case....of course any one can say or post what they feel compelled to.

The ARU is an inclusive entity. Their main sponsor ( Qantas) has an openly gay CEO. They have disciplined Israel in the past for similar inappropriate comments that breach terms in his contract. He does it again, and they dismiss him. This is all I see in play here.

I think he knew well what the outcome would be. Doesn’t strike me as a guy with confused beliefs.

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 9:08pm

When did I say that?

That argument doesnt stack up, shes an elected MP representing vast people.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 9:14pm

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Still his right to say it though, then others can judge him
Exactly. He has been judged. He’s lost his job.
What’s your issue?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic