Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SIX NATIONS 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Italy v Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 8:29am
Looks like lots of changes afoot, with Aled due to start at 9.
Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 8:33am
I have the little impression that Wales are understimating Italy...in this moment for the Italian team remains only the strenght of despair...

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:23am
Resting players to take on Italy in their first home fixture of the tournament?

I have my reservations tbh.

Odd gamble given there's a 2 week gap before the next game.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:34am
If the Wales team cannot step up now to defeat Italy then there will be problems but its also planning ahead for the World Cup and testing the players. Rather it be Italy than  any of the others we have yet to play.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Resting players to take on Italy in their first home fixture of the tournament?

I have my reservations tbh.

Odd gamble given there's a 2 week gap before the next game.

Agreed, I would have gone with

Rob, Dee, Samson,
Jake, Beard
Young, Moriarty, Wainwright
Williams, Anscombe
Watkin, Foxy
North, Williams, Adams.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 10:02am
Wales side:

Smith, Dee, Lee
Ball, Beard,
Wainwright, Navidi, Young
A.Davies, Biggar,
Watkin, J.Davies,
Adams, Williams, Holmes

Edited by Fscarlet - 07 February 2019 at 10:22am
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Wales side:

Smith, Dee, Lee
Ball, Beard,
A.Davies, Biggar,
Watkin, J.Davies,
Adams, Williams, Holmes

Replacements: Elias, W Jones, D Lewis, Alun Wyn Jones, Moriarty, G Davies, Anscombe, Amos.

Italy are going to target the set piece, especially the lineout.  Exciting back three, if Holmes acquits himself well under the high ball, I can see him benching in subsequent matches.  Think Wales will keep the ball alive, hope Biggar brings Watkins into play and hence Foxy.

Italy might feel disrespected by 10 changes, but this is a good side and shows strength in depth.  This is all about World Cup preparation.

Need to be sensible and not throw silly passes.
Joshua24:15
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 11:26am
Nice little article here about the time the squad are spending in Nice & what they're up to.  

Particularly like this bit

"George North and hooker Ken Owens then spend some of their other free time helping coach Stade Nicois' youth teams."
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 12:27pm
The front row is still strong , with a lot of strength available off the bench
The most surprising selection is holmes on the wing, hope he goes well

Edited by roy munster - 07 February 2019 at 3:20pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 4:09pm
15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Luca Morisi, 11 Edoardo Padovani, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Guglielmo Palazzani, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Dean Budd, 4 David Sisi, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Nicola Quaglio
In panchina: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Cherif Traorè 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Federico Ruzza, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Tommaso Benvenuti

Only few change for O Shea, Campagnaro in the midfield and Padovani on the wing. Quaglio starts in front row.
Italy has to play more similar like Treviso, with the forwards splitted around the field and they receive the ball in run. When they are in pods italian forwards are not so rapid the break the gain line..
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Luca Morisi, 11 Edoardo Padovani, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Guglielmo Palazzani, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Dean Budd, 4 David Sisi, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Nicola Quaglio
In panchina: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Cherif Traorè 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Federico Ruzza, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Tommaso Benvenuti

Only few change for O Shea, Campagnaro in the midfield and Padovani on the wing. Quaglio starts in front row.
Italy has to play more similar like Treviso, with the forwards splitted around the field and they receive the ball in run. When they are in pods italian forwards are not so rapid the break the gain line..

Doesn't sound very Italian! He could at least put "o" or "i" after his name: Jaydeno Haywardi. Had a good game against Scotland from what I saw.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 7:08pm
Bit disrespectful to the Italians that team and we need momentum for the next game. Potential banana skin.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Wales side:

Smith, Dee, Lee
Ball, Beard,
A.Davies, Biggar,
Watkin, J.Davies,
Adams, Williams, Holmes

Replacements: Elias, W Jones, D Lewis, Alun Wyn Jones, Moriarty, G Davies, Anscombe, Amos.

Italy are going to target the set piece, especially the lineout.  Exciting back three, if Holmes acquits himself well under the high ball, I can see him benching in subsequent matches.  Think Wales will keep the ball alive, hope Biggar brings Watkins into play and hence Foxy.

Italy might feel disrespected by 10 changes, but this is a good side and shows strength in depth.  This is all about World Cup preparation.

Need to be sensible and not throw silly passes.

As we saw in the summer, Wales are developing some depth - if you look at the team, 9 of them either are currently first choices, or have been in the recent past. Of the rest, Dee is our usual back-up hooker, Wainwright has impressed in his chances so far, and many have called for Young to get a shot. In the backs, Aled is a good link and box kicker, Watkin is in good form - many would say better than parkes ATM - and Holmes did OK with few chances on his debut. 

Wales also have 4 more starters on the bench, including AWJ, who can be called on to rally the troops if necessary. 

I'd say the players have easily enough quality to win the game with something to spare - my one reservation has to do with the combinations, which haven't had many tests together. I'm reasonably relaxed about it - we'll see!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 7:42pm
I think we'll win. Whether it puts the team and combos in a good shape for playing England is another matter, but that game's two weeks away anyway.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:21pm
Without underestimating Italy, I think we'll need a bonus point win if we're not to put ourselves at an overall disadvantage in the championship. I think Gatland has gone about this task sensibly, without risking injury to too many of the more important players. 
Starting with Aled and Biggar should quickly settle the team down (something that didn't happen in Paris) and maybe build up a lead with accurate kicking, and if we don't get the tries there are those on the bench who can come on and give us the momentum needed later on.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 10:53pm
He's made too many changes. . Wales wernt exactly on top form last week so not a time to be that complacent.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic