Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SIX NATIONS 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Italy v Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 2:41pm
Were missing a few but not a great number, Halfpenny , patchell and faletau who is our best player and shingler, lydiate who may or may not have made the side

Our team looks reasonable on paper. Cawdor is a nailed on starter for me.
I cant see hapenny and patchell making it back in time sadly. I think the 10 shirt is our biggest weakness atm and depth at 8. 

Id say select almost the same team as for France just changing cawdor and Id bring wainwright in and put navidi on the bench cover all 3 back row positions. Hill will also be benching. Not sure about the last back on the bench? shame steff was tried as he makes things happen more than most. So probably watkin who was solid

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 2:54pm
Ask the question, how many Welsh players would get in the England side?
Alun Wyn possibly
Tipuric possibly
Foxy possibly.
That's about it in my opinion.
Keep the faith
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Ask the question, how many Welsh players would get in the England side?
Alun Wyn possibly
Tipuric possibly
Foxy possibly.
That's about it in my opinion.

atm north tips foxy awj moriarty at 6 cawdor ...if we win maybe a few more
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:00pm
It's not possible to be optimistic after England's performance - I don't count Wales's show, as that was a long way from the first 23. I'll remain hopeful (as always)... maybe Gats and Edwards can come up with a system to counteract England's two approaches - big bashing runs, followed by clever kicks - plus some big hits in defence. A week is a long time in politics, and a fortnight an aeon in rugby (let's hope).

Compared to recent seasons, England's main improvement has come from having their three big bashers fit (Vunipolas plus Tuilangi), and also from May's development from rapid headless chicken to world class wing - in attack, anyway. Let's see if we can put him, and the rest, under pressure in defence - but to do that, we'll have to play a hell of a lot better, and not throw away ball in the lineout or from stupid penalties. 

It's such a pity that Patch is injured - Anscombe doesn't convince, and Biggar is limited... the choice at 10 will come down to the game plan adopted, I think. Players under pressure include Parkes (from Watkin), Tomos W (from Cawdor) and Beard (from Jake and Cory Hill), though I suspect he'll survive given his extra height. Surely, Rob Evans will start ahead of 'penalty machine' Smith at LH prop. 

It mainly comes down to the question of whether Wales can play a LOT better than in the last two games, and England play a bit worse. On current form, there can only be one winner, though.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:32pm
I’d pick Thomas Young ahead of Tipuric...
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

It's not possible to be optimistic after England's performance - I don't count Wales's show, as that was a long way from the first 23. I'll remain hopeful (as always)... maybe Gats and Edwards can come up with a system to counteract England's two approaches - big bashing runs, followed by clever kicks - plus some big hits in defence. A week is a long time in politics, and a fortnight an aeon in rugby (let's hope).

Compared to recent seasons, England's main improvement has come from having their three big bashers fit (Vunipolas plus Tuilangi), and also from May's development from rapid headless chicken to world class wing - in attack, anyway. Let's see if we can put him, and the rest, under pressure in defence - but to do that, we'll have to play a hell of a lot better, and not throw away ball in the lineout or from stupid penalties. 

It's such a pity that Patch is injured - Anscombe doesn't convince, and Biggar is limited... the choice at 10 will come down to the game plan adopted, I think. Players under pressure include Parkes (from Watkin), Tomos W (from Cawdor) and Beard (from Jake and Cory Hill), though I suspect he'll survive given his extra height. Surely, Rob Evans will start ahead of 'penalty machine' Smith at LH prop. 

It mainly comes down to the question of whether Wales can play a LOT better than in the last two games, and England play a bit worse. On current form, there can only be one winner, though.

Yes, getting each of those three carrying during a possession really absorbs a lot of defenders and generate some serious momentum.

Another thing with England recently is they seem to have sorted their discipline out: they were guilty of giving away penalties and yellows for silly minor thuggery. Even Lawes managed to stay on the pitch against France! Hartley's injury has been a blessing in disguise for them.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 8:21pm
I think Nigel was a little generous to England on Sunday, possibly trying to makeup for previous efforts when he's been booed and blamed for England losses. He watched Sinclair the Harlequins tight head bang a French player on the head, starting a brawl but Nigel didn't do anything about it that would have ruined the English fans new found affection for him.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think Nigel was a little generous to England on Sunday, possibly trying to makeup for previous efforts when he's been booed and blamed for England losses. He watched Sinclair the Harlequins tight head bang a French player on the head, starting a brawl but Nigel didn't do anything about it that would have ruined the English fans new found affection for him.

i'd agree that Nigel was generous to England, not that it would have changed the result of course! I thought the English player also pulled the French guy's hair after patting his head, so a YC should have been handed out IMO... Nige did award a penalty, but it should have been more.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 3:12pm
Thought our Nigel was pretty poor overall. It was no way a penalty try, Sinckler should have seen yellow. As far as the next game is concerned there can be absolutely no comparisons drawn. For one thing we will have a back 3 who will be able to read the game and at least show some interest in the defensive side of the game. Playing two centres on the wing and a wing at FB is not the most intelligent move.

The usually strong Welsh defensive system has looked pretty ordinary so far so what better time than now to give another masterclass. Gatland & Edwards will use the next 10 days to strip this team back to the basics - secure your own set piece, compete like dervishes at the breakdown and gainline. We need to probe England's back 3 with Daly & May, despite excellent performances to date, still not being totally trusted by the English faithful defensively. We have our own firepower but too often the North show goes AWOL. That cannot happen on 23rd. He needs to get involved like Adams does and test the English midfield. 

As usual selection will be key & this is where I feel sorry for Gatland & Co., we have no 10 playing well enough at the moment to actually be worthy of the shirt so Gatland will have to trust his instincts. He won't be using an expansive gameplan in my opinion so I think & probably agree with the selection of Biggar as I cannot see Halfpenny being ready for a game of this magnitude without some minutes under his belt. 

My team with some hopeful calls on fitness :-

1. Rob 2. Ken 3. Francis 4. Ball 5. AWJ 6. Wainwright 7. Tipuric 8. Moriarty.
9. Cawdor 10 Biggar 11. Adams 12. Scott if fit/Watkin 13. Foxy 14. North 15. Liam

16. Ryan 17. Smith 18. Dillon 19. Hill 20. Navidi/Young 21. Tomas Williams 22. Anscombe 23. Amos. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 3:34pm
Samson will be close and may well start, with Francis coming on after around 50 mins,it may be the other way round though. Lewis I feel may get mauled by Vunipola and his replacement.
Samson made a few teams of round 2, and he is a handful.

I feel Navidi will play because he's more of a dog, and I think we'll need that against the English. 

I can't make my mind over 10, I'll need to see them in training Big smile

I doubt if Scott will be fit and I feel you are a trifle hard on Parkes, Watkin did nothing to say pick me, and while Parkes is not playing as well as the past 2 seasons, he is slowly getting better, and his experience and strength will I feel/hope gets him selected.

My controversial selection is going to be Halfpenny, with Liam taking over from North, I hope Leigh is not selected but got a gut feeling he will, North looses out because he is so unreliable in defence, and slow in turning covering the kicks,  and do we loose anything in attack with Liam there not really.

Subs Dee for Ryan, Wynne may well get the other prop, and Wainwright the back row sub. North for Amos, purely based on making an impact if we need something different.

There will be other variations I'm sure.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Samson will be close and may well start, with Francis coming on after around 50 mins,it may be the other way round though. Lewis I feel may get mauled by Vunipola and his replacement.
Samson made a few teams of round 2, and he is a handful.

I feel Navidi will play because he's more of a dog, and I think we'll need that against the English. 

I can't make my mind over 10, I'll need to see them in training Big smile

I doubt if Scott will be fit and I feel you are a trifle hard on Parkes, Watkin did nothing to say pick me, and while Parkes is not playing as well as the past 2 seasons, he is slowly getting better, and his experience and strength will I feel/hope gets him selected.

My controversial selection is going to be Halfpenny, with Liam taking over from North, I hope Leigh is not selected but got a gut feeling he will, North looses out because he is so unreliable in defence, and slow in turning covering the kicks,  and do we loose anything in attack with Liam there not really.

Subs Dee for Ryan, Wynne may well get the other prop, and Wainwright the back row sub. North for Amos, purely based on making an impact if we need something different.

There will be other variations I'm sure.

I am pleased that Samson is starting to play well but I think maybe Francis' greater bulk may swing it. I certainly do not feel that i am being in any way harsh on Hadleigh. He is lucky to even be in the squad with the dross that he has served up this season. Scott if fit is a no brainer and I see enough in Watkin to give him the shirt if Scott doesn't make it. Your points about Halfpenny & North & Wainwright & Navidi are very interesting. If Halfpenny was totally fit I would start him. As I have said George frustrates the hell out of me. He has all the physical attributes but just doesn't get involved enough. Both Navidi & Wainwright will do you a job i just think Wainwright is a better lineout option. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 4:26pm
North may have some weak areas to his game but his physicality will make him one of the banker starters alongside AWJ Ken and Foxy.
Keep the faith
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 6:44pm
Backrow of navidi morriaty and young. Tipuric goes missing against big physical packs and begins to play as a 3rd center.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Backrow of navidi morriaty and young. Tipuric goes missing against big physical packs and begins to play as a 3rd center.

Nice idea but as our lineout is flakey we need Tipuric as a lineout option.
Keep the faith
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 11:50am
can young cover 8?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 11:53am
If hapenny and patchell are available and halfpenny starts then I think Gats will pick north at 12. Ticks a lot of boxes. It keeps a back 3 of pace and work rate and aerial ability., halfpenny as kicker..It also keeps our biggest weapon in the side and it also targets tuilagi...Other sides struggle to get over the gainline against england , north gives you that chance...we could use him as a decoy too. Hes not exactly a kicking option but he creates space, makes yards and pops offloads...It went pretty well when he played there last.

Id then drop biggar from the squad anscombe 10 .....patchell on the bench with parkes and tom williams

Edited by roy munster - 13 February 2019 at 12:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic