Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Barclay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:58am
Great to see Mark Jones learning his trade with the crusaders. Going forward if all works out boycie will come back having gained enormous experience. The season in NZ is starting back soon, we could get a forwards coach from there?
Sponsored Links

gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:34am
Richard Kelly was with us as a player for a few seasons. Since then he's been coaching at the Quins I believe. Last year he was with the Wales Under 20s, maybe Richard and Ioan are swapping positions, Richard to us and Ioan to the Wales under 20s. Ioan os course has worked with Pivac so maybe Pivac wants him within the WRU set up in with the youths. 

Another option for forwards coach would be Chris Horseman. Maybe Chris Horseman as forwards coach and then John Barclay as defence coach, as Glenn is moving up to be head coach we have two vacancies within the coaching set up. 

Over the next few seasons I see the likes of Ken, Foxy, Shingler, Leigh, and possibly Marc Jones and Phil Price being mentored into coaching roles within the region. I think Ken will one day be a head coach, Foxy a backs coach, Shingler a line out coach, then the likes of Marc Jones and Phil Price to work with the academy. I can see Cawdor being an attack coach and Cubby a Skills Coach. I do hope some players move onto coaching within the region, as we have some excellent world class players who have come through the region, we should try and encourage to remain part of our region in some form.
eds
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 8:48am
Taken from JB Instagram 

After much thought and deliberation I have decided to bring down the curtain on my career and retire from the game. When you know, you know.
I never wanted to get to the point where I was playing for the sake of it. Physically I could have kept going for a little while, but at nowhere near the level I wanted. The body has had enough, and the mind is ready to move on to the next step.
The opportunity to live a dream is something that not many can honestly say they did. I can say hand on heart that I did. I leave the game with enough memories to last a lifetime. Whilst there are games, tournaments and milestones that were memorable , what I will miss more than anything is the camaraderie and sense of fulfillment that comes after a game. Sharing a common goal with your best friends and striving for that goal is some of life’s most fulfilling work. Nothing will ever compare to running out at Murrayfield or Parc Y Scarlets for a big game, but the truly special moments I will miss belong in the dressing room before and after games. That is where brotherhood is created.
To get capped was beyond my wildest dreams as a kid growing up. To be able to go on and captain Scotland and Scarlets is something I will be eternally proud and grateful of. Knowing I wont get the chance to run out with the team does leave a tinge of sadness, but I was a supporter before I was a player, and I will be a fervent supporter again.
To the clubs I played for; Glasgow, Scarlets & Edinburgh. I feel truly privileged to have played for these clubs. A special mention to Scarlets is a must who gave me my finest memories in a great 5 year period. Moving clubs doesn’t always work out. I feel extremely lucky to have been in the right place at the right time with some outstanding players, coaches and men during my spell there. Team, culture, tradition and heritage embodied in one club.
And finally the biggest thanks has to go to my family. My Mum, Dad & brother David for supporting me always, and especially my wife Hayley and sons, Finlay, Logan & Max. Without your support none of this would have been possible. You were the reason I played.
Thanks for the memories
BBledd View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBledd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 8:57am
A club legend. 

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 9:00am
A measured & heartfelt statement from one of rugby's most intelligent players. His passion & love for our great team stands out like a beacon. Thank you John for gracing the shirt. You and your family will always be welcome at PYS. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 9:14am
Great write up from a great guy and player.

No doubt about his favorite playing time.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 9:20am
We were privileged to have had the best of Johns career at Llanelli.  He was immense and played like he was a local boy - he totally bought into the scarlets.  Should have been a lion . It would be great if he returned in a coaching capacity one day .
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 11:22am
Goosebumps from that awesome player and bloke and showed through his leadership. Hope he stays around the game Clap
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 11:31am
Taking up job as Sport journo  with the Scottish Times . He’s a bright guy and will do well I’m sure off the pitch. His comments about Scarlets were so nice and thoughtful. Thanks Sean Lamont for playing a part in JB coming to us as well 👍
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 11:38am
[QUOTE=reesytheexile]Taking up job as Sport journo  with the Scottish Times . He’s a bright guy and will do well I’m sure off the pitch. His comments about Scarlets were so nice and thoughtful. Thanks Sean Lamont for playing a part in JB coming to us as well 👍
I wasn’t aware that Lamont had an input. Thanks Sean 
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 1:56pm
Class act, on and off the pitch. Must go down as one of our best signings ever. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 2:10pm
Very humbling words from a truly brilliant player.  We were very lucky and privileged to have had him grace our great club.  I believe that we certainly had the best out of his long career, his experience was certainly something that we needed at the time of his signing.  Making him vice captain to Ken was also a master stroke as he was around more than Ken, he read the game so well and was very articulate when talking to referees.
Diolch Jon for the memories, I’m sure you’ll be a success in whatever you choose to do in the future.  Pob lwc.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 2:34pm
Typical journalism from WOL, they have a smallish story about JB hidden at the bottom of Saturdays rugby news.  
They have taken parts of his retirement statements but have removed all of the great comments made about the Scarlets and his time here.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Typical journalism from WOL, they have a smallish story about JB hidden at the bottom of Saturdays rugby news.  
They have taken parts of his retirement statements but have removed all of the great comments made about the Scarlets and his time here.
that’s poor. John Barclay enhanced the image of the game in Wales not just us as fans and was a popular individual, earning so much respect across all clubs. I just hope that WOL have got a bigger and better summing up in the Sunday sports media as his words about how he felt with Scarlets values should be the ideal of all rugby clubs and shone as a beacon not presented as damp squib ! 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

that’s poor. John Barclay enhanced the image of the game in Wales not just us as fans and was a popular individual, earning so much respect across all clubs. I just hope that WOL have got a bigger and better summing up in the Sunday sports media as his words about how he felt with Scarlets values should be the ideal of all rugby clubs and shone as a beacon not presented as damp squib ! 
Well said.

With WOL omitting the key points from a Welsh point of view, it’s completely astonishing and unforgiveably so. It’s kind of a sabotage; victimisation that’s poisonous.

You can understand sloppiness, lazy journalism etc., yet this kind of censorship misdirecting the meaning of John’s words just has no justifiable basis whatsoever.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 5:52pm

Wales Online...say no more!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic