Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kalamafoni.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 12:41pm
Thumbs up for me. Decent player who always delivers exactly what he’s meant to. I’d always choose “grafters” over “superstars”. Just look at Exeter. Having a pack consisting of Kalimafoni, McLoed and Cassiem would be outstanding. Serious grafters there. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Sponsored Links

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 12:47pm

Looks like a damn good signing!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Thumbs up for me. Decent player who always delivers exactly what he’s meant to. I’d always choose “grafters” over “superstars”. Just look at Exeter. Having a pack consisting of Kalimafoni,   McLoed and Cassiem would be outstanding. Serious grafters there. 

not much of a balance though. shingle cubby and Kalimafoni, looks really good Clap
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Emperor Scarlet Emperor wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Concussion issues. Leave well alone.
⬆️ What you say is true. But we shop in the bargain aisle. So we roll the dice again. 🤞
We really don’t shop in the bargain aisle. He’s been a front line player for Leicester and Gloucester. He made more carries than any other player in the prem last season and more metres than any other forward. Concussion makes it risky to extent, although it is the first one he’s had, but he’s a proven performer.

Its funny how people take no notice of the funding news and take the Andy Howell `skint scarlets` logic. We have the best funding model of any region and quite possibly we are in the top tier within the UK.The days of picking up the dregs have gone. If it is true about Kalamafoni then he will be a good addition to the squad when we are stripped by call ups. That is assuming he's not beset with head issues like Blade.

The big French English irish and even Japanese clubs are a tier above us salary wise , munster have just signed two world cup winning springboks

We are ahead of the other welsh regions but when it comes to the real big hitters we just cant compete no welsh region can and we won't be able to ever again imo

This guy has the size power and pedigree we want but It's not surprising people are way about a guy who has been told he needs a 3 month lay off for concussion who plays in a manner that guarantees he will take contact

I'd take the punt though worth the risk 

Agree to a point but we certainly arent in the bargain bucket zone as we used to be. Which is the point Scarletnut and I were making.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 3:30pm

⬆️ What you say is true. But we shop in the bargain aisle. So we roll the dice again. 🤞
We really don’t shop in the bargain aisle. He’s been a front line player for Leicester and Gloucester. He made more carries than any other player in the prem last season and more metres than any other forward. Concussion makes it risky to extent, although it is the first one he’s had, but he’s a proven performer.

Its funny how people take no notice of the funding news and take the Andy Howell `skint scarlets` logic. We have the best funding model of any region and quite possibly we are in the top tier within the UK.The days of picking up the dregs have gone. If it is true about Kalamafoni then he will be a good addition to the squad when we are stripped by call ups. That is assuming he's not beset with head issues like Blade.

The big French English irish and even Japanese clubs are a tier above us salary wise , munster have just signed two world cup winning springboks

We are ahead of the other welsh regions but when it comes to the real big hitters we just cant compete no welsh region can and we won't be able to ever again imo

This guy has the size power and pedigree we want but It's not surprising people are way about a guy who has been told he needs a 3 month lay off for concussion who plays in a manner that guarantees he will take contact

I'd take the punt though worth the risk 

Agree to a point but we certainly arent in the bargain bucket zone as we used to be. Which is the point Scarletnut and I were making.

I agree we are not in the bargain bucket (that is for dross like klim and gajon at the ospreys) but neither are we at the top end with players like snyman or  Allende

Our nwq now tend to be super 14 level or Aviva prem players, a step up from the semi pro level rubbish other regions sign but not elite level and that's fine we don't have elite level wages to throw at players

I would put us   alongside Edinburgh and Glasgow in the type of player we can fund , we are a tier below the best and a tier  above the other welsh sides

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 4:30pm

Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Thumbs up for me. Decent player who always delivers exactly what he’s meant to. I’d always choose “grafters” over “superstars”. Just look at Exeter. Having a pack consisting of Kalimafoni,   McLoed and Cassiem would be outstanding. Serious grafters there. 

not much of a balance though. shingle cubby and Kalimafoni, looks really good Clap

In September or May  with good weather, maybe.
Otherwise, nope.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 7:56pm

He’s 32 and like you say has concussion issues, Leicester can let this guy go because they have the likes of Jordan Taufua who we were apparently chasing a while ago before he chose Leicester. Would be more impressed if we tempted Tommy Reffell back.Simone been impressive in the past. But injuries combined with age are great. And I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but we like other welsh sides don’t seem to keep players(or squads) fit for very long. I’d like hungry determined younger players with something to prove playing for us. I think we have enough experience in the squad. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 7:59pm

He’s 32 and like you say has concussion issues, Leicester can let this guy go because they have the likes of Jordan Taufua who we were apparently chasing a while ago before he chose Leicester. Would be more impressed if we tempted Tommy Reffell back.Simone been impressive in the past. But injuries combined with age are great. And I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but we like other welsh sides don’t seem to keep players(or squads) fit for very long. I’d like hungry determined younger players with something to prove playing for us. I think we have enough experience in the squad. 
I agree with you on his concussion issues that’s obviously a concern. But I don’t think his age is a problem. You look at all the best packs in Europe like Clermont etc and they all have a couple of 30 somethings in there. Scarlets need that type of player. Leicester wanted to keep him as he was their captain for a lot of the season with Young’s injured 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 8:12pm

I agree with you on his concussion issues that’s obviously a concern. But I don’t think his age is a problem. You look at all the best packs in Europe like Clermont etc and they all have a couple of 30 somethings in there. Scarlets need that type of player. Leicester wanted to keep him as he was their captain for a lot of the season with Young’s injured 
 I understand, but if you at the Scarlets squad on paper we all can see it’s phenomenal. Back line looks fantastic. These guys just can’t get on the pitch together enough. Between call ups(which I know is success) and massive injuries lists we don’t see these guys. I don’t know if it’s the player demographic (age/injury) or training regimes or over playing were not doing something correctly.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 8:17pm
The Bristol newspaper had an article which included him coming to us and their take was that it was a v good signing for us.  We’ll have to wait and see - sadly I think that blade is on his way - to possibly early retirement 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

The Bristol newspaper had an article which included him coming to us and their take was that it was a v good signing for us.  We’ll have to wait and see - sadly I think that blade is on his way - to possibly early retirement 
No it was lifted from Sunday’s Rugby Paper
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 9:53pm
Any news on a tight head? The sarries welsh lad must be up for grabs or better still francis!
Big Tackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 10:37pm
cassiem has been a credit on and off the field and maybe with kalamafoni joining him we will have 2 powerful ball carrying no 8s something we have not had for a long time
Big Tackle
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 11:39pm

Any news on a tight head? The sarries we lsh lad must be up for grabs or better still francis!
Yes it’s a priority. Samson has really gone off the boil in last 18 months but I hope this long lay off may help him sort out any long running injuries and come back stronger next season - whenever it starts-- I don’t see professional rugby sport  tournaments starting until November/December or even January  as they will need to be able to train a preseason so a shortened season. 🙁
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 2:40pm
I'd be happy to have Kalamafoni arrive. I think we as desperate for some dynamic ball carriers, and if he can provide that along with making hard yards, tying up opponent defenders, effective from 5 yards out, able to punch holes in defences and have supporting players running off his shoulder, and be effective in the rain they sing him up. He is however 31 but AWJ is coming up to 35. My biggest worry though is his concussion issues. 

A player I'd love to see here, and there's an article about him on Wales Online, is Thomas Young. We are blessed in the back row currently, but if Blade is off, Shingler coming up to 32, and we still don't know if Cubby boi has had the operation that he was due to have, before the CoronaVirus started spreading. Young would add to our back row. And plus Cubby and Shingler might be in the Elite Wales 38 so we might not see them often. McCloud may join that group as well. Before all that though is there any news on Blade? I hope he comes through okay. 

We have some depth in our back row, but I'd like to see Ed Kennedy becoming a 5/6 option, the same as Shingler and Rawlins. Kennedy is big, strong, athletic and a good line out option. I think he'd be great in the tight 5.

eds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic