Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leicester tactics illegal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leicester tactics illegal?
    Posted: 10 January 2011 at 6:43pm
Have jsut been watching highlights of Leics v Northampton.

At one point, there was a series of tackles/rucks.

On every occasion, without fail, the first Leicester player there didn't stand over the ball or try to ruck it back - he took out the first Northampton PLAYER BY A TACKLE BEFORE HE HAD A CHANCE TO JOIN THE TACKLE area (sorry for caps). On at least one occasion, when a Northampton player had the ball before the tackle, this tactic led to the two players falling on the ground on the Northampton side, making it very difficult for them to win the ball.

My questions are:

1. Is it illegal to tackle players without the ball? ( I assume it is.)

2. IF it is illegal, why do refs ignore such tackles when they take place near a tackle area? (BTW - on some of these occasions, the Leicester tackler came from the side, not through the middle).

It's clear that Leicester have been coached to do this. If the refs out there think it is illegal - what would you suggest we shout at the ref on Saturday to draw his attention to the tactic? is there a short-hand for this?
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 7:06pm
I didn't see that but on the same highlights footage the ref gave a bizarre decision to Leicester when Northampton had successfully counter-rucked and the Leicester player on the ground was clearly holding on to prevent the turnover. Right at the end of the game he blew extremely quickly in Leicester's favour for Northampton holding on in a very similar [reversed] situation.

And there we have it: the most useful person on the pitch if we are to have a chance on saturday is the referee.

I dislike Leicester's style of rugby and choice of player with a passion. It irks me that they always get away with cheating.
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 3:51pm
I think I'm right in saying that you play the referee and this has been so since the game was invented.It certainly was when I played back in the days of black and white telly.As the old boxing joke used to go when playing(fighting)away from home,if I knock him out,I might get the draw.
Tigers don't cheat anymore than any other team,they play on the edge,just like the All Blacks and quite a few other successfull teams.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I think I'm right in saying that you play the referee and this has been so since the game was invented.It certainly was when I played back in the days of black and white telly.As the old boxing joke used to go when playing(fighting)away from home,if I knock him out,I might get the draw.
Tigers don't cheat anymore than any other team,they play on the edge,just like the All Blacks and quite a few other successfull teams.

I don't doubt it.

I have just been trying to clarify in my own mind what the law says on this. IF the tactic is illegal (as I suspect), then I do want to 'draw the ref's attention' to it on Saturday!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 8:14pm
It's only illegal if you do it against the Tigers.......Wink

With reference to what you've raised,the law states if the player is on the floor and places the ball it is a ruck when a support player arrives and bridges the ball.Therefore the opposition cannot use their hands to try and gain the ball,they have to engage the player and drive him off so that the ball is exposed and is out.At pace done by a good rucking side,this is fast, effective and might look as though a tackle is made.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 8:28pm

It's only illegal if you do it against the Tigers.......Wink

With reference to what you've raised,the law states if the player is on the floor and places the ball it is a ruck when a support player arrives and bridges the ball.Therefore the opposition cannot use their hands to try and gain the ball,they have to engage the player and drive him off so that the ball is exposed and is out.At pace done by a good rucking side,this is fast, effective and might look as though a tackle is made.

And your thoughts towards the incident I mention?

I'm not an idiot and I know "play the ref" means "get away with cheating" but I'm interested into what Tiggers fans actually like when watching their side as rugby fans. 

Call me a bad loser, that's fair enough, and in some respects of course I'm envious of your success, but it won't answer the actual question I'm asking: do you actually enjoy watching your side play rugby?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 8:31pm
Oh, and I've realised my last post may come across as confrontational - it isn't meant as such. I wince whenever we get away with a forward pass which leads to a try, for example. But I do admit it was forward and we were lucky.
dailywaffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Call me a bad loser, that's fair enough, and in some respects of course I'm envious of your success, but it won't answer the actual question I'm asking: do you actually enjoy watching your side play rugby?
Mine and my son's season ticket amount to c. £700.  Why would I pay this if I did not enjoy watching Leicester play rugby?
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by dailywaffle dailywaffle wrote:

Mine and my son's season ticket amount to c. £700.  Why would I pay this if I did not enjoy watching Leicester play rugby?

well you could be a sadist as far as we know mun Wink
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:19pm
You should support a cheaper team! £200 a season for the up and down rollercoaster ride that I get week in, week out is worth it's weight in gold!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:50pm

Will you and/or your son be down on Sat DW ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:51pm
I actually love my rugby team,I've been dissapointed but never ever felt that my team cheats nor have they ever let me down.
Does that answer your question?
There is no-one on the planet that loves their team more than me,some I'm sure are just as passionate,they may spend more money,but after nearly 50 years I will always support Leicester Tigers.I always want them to win,but am realistic to know that's not always going to happen.
We will come to Y Parc,we may win we may not ,but will not disgrace ourselves,jealous people try to call us cheats.The fact is we are good at winning and that gets a lot of peoples goat,if that offends you ,then poor you.I sure as hell will not oppologise for being bloody good at what we do.
I will however come on here and congratulate you if you win.That's how I played the game,all hell on the park and all mates in the bar afterwards,nothing much has changed,except maybe some peoples aspirations.
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 11:01pm

I actually love my rugby team,I've been dissapointed but never ever felt that my team cheats nor have they ever let me down.
There is no-one on the planet that loves their team more than me,some I'm sure are just as passionate,they may spend more money,but after nearly 50 years I will always support Leicester Tigers.I always want them to win,but am realistic to know that's not always going to happen.
We will come to Y Parc,we may win we may not ,but will not disgrace ourselves,jealous people try to call us cheats.The fact is we are good at winning and that gets a lot of peoples goat,if that offends you ,then poor you.I sure as hell will not oppologise for being bloody good at what we do.
I will however come on here and congratulate you if you win.That's how I played the game,all hell on the park and all mates in the bar afterwards,nothing much has changed,except maybe some peoples aspirations.

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Good for you
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 8:19am

Definitely - I agree completely with your sentiments.

You beat us by out playing us off the park in the second half completely.

Jealous of your pack and "rugby savy" (I diplomatically call it)? Of course. 
Jealous of your ability to win game after game (linked to the above)? Of course.
Jealous of the style of rugby you play? Not really, but that's more a personal preference.

It doesn't offend me any of the stuff you say but you do see deliberate attempts to kill the ball and think "is this how rugby should be played?" to yourself. Munster, Leicester, All Blacks, all these top sides do it so, as you say, perhaps the win is all that matters and that is simply the hallmark of a top rugby side. And as I said earlier, the man in the middle has the final word so playing the ref becomes the phrase of choice. That's why I was interested into Tiggers' fans about what type of rugby they like to see.

Anyway, enemies on the pitch but friends off it (well, maybe; you may still dislike me for my anti-Leicesterisms!).

All the best for saturday.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 9:11am

Supporting a side and liking what they do on the pitch are two different things! (Trust me on this Wink)
JonWal View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 11:58am
Good thread this.

I'm very lucky in the respect that I've got a relatively cheap season ticket and the brand of rugby on display is the type that I enjoy watching..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic