Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leinster v Racing 92

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leinster v Racing 92
    Posted: 12 May 2018 at 6:42pm
Well, what a yawn-fest!

Leinster 15 Racing 12 - all penalties.

Leinster looked like they'd been living on a diet of sleeping pills since their excellent performance in the semi. Too much aimless kicking by both sides... too little invention... and, oddly, Leinster didn't use their 2-man rushes at all to get over the gain line (Racing did, a few times, but not consistently). 

The game sank into a morass of mediocrity. What a disappointment.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:03pm
Even though there was little expansive, entertaining rugby to watch, I must admit that because there was so little between the teams, made it quite interesting right to the end (for me anyway)
Had Cawdor kicked like the Racing 9 we also may have been a lot closer at the end in our semi although we had little of the raw power of the French side, brought at great expense from across the planet.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:25pm
Let’s be honest. If we won a champions cup trophy 3 - 0 playing boring rugby would we care? It wasn’t a spectacle but the fact it was on a knifes edge made it exciting.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:14pm
It was tipping it down during the game. Expansive rugby was too risky for either side to attempt resulting in a major heavyweight slug fest.
Keep the faith
The Brain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:31pm
R92 scrum half gave a masterclass in box kicking.

Deficiencies in Leinster's game were highlighted today.
No mean feat to execute, but showed that Leinster can be beaten.

As long as we can beat Glasgow next week then I'd put money on it that Pivac & Co. will be able to formulate a game plan that could beat them.

Was willing that last drop goal to go over!!!

If you cannot bite, never show your teeth.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Let’s be honest. If we won a champions cup trophy 3 - 0 playing boring rugby would we care? It wasn’t a spectacle but the fact it was on a knifes edge made it exciting.

This, but I'd prefer a 6-5 win. (I may have mentioned this in the past).
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:55pm
What on earth was Teddy Thomas up to in the last what 10 Minutes 🤔
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Antietam1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antietam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:00pm
 They are supposed to the most French of the French teams.
AnywayCoolThumbs Up
badabing badabook
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:06pm

Agree with the first part - I couldn't care less if the Scarlets won the cup 3-0.

Disagree with the second - the rugby was so boring that I was hoping it would not go to extra time - another 30 min or whatever of that would have seemed like cruel and unusual punishment. I could only get 'excited' about a game like that if I had skin in the game - but as I was indifferent as to who won, that wasn't the case. It wasn't even as if there was a great deal to analyse in purely technical terms, as there were so many errors.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Bryn@man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn@man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by The Brain The Brain wrote:

As long as we can beat Glasgow next week then I'd put money on it that Pivac & Co. will be able to formulate a game plan that could beat them.

No need mun ... It's going to be another Scarlets v Munster final
cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

What on earth was Teddy Thomas up to in the last what 10 Minutes 🤔

Gotta agree with you, a great steal by racing at the lineout and the guy ran up a blind alley and into touch like a headless chicken, what was he doing.
Neither side looked like scoring a try whole game though TBH.

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:36pm
I tend to agree, it could be ‘after the Lord Mayors show’ Next weekend in Dublin, with Munster turning up and Spoiling Leinster's party. That would hopefully lead to a repeat of last years final, although I think Munster will be a lot more prepared for us this time around.
This weekend has been a great advert for the pro14, as it’s often belittled by some how believe that the Aviva and Super14 are superior competitions. The only thing superior about them is the funding/ wage bills of the competing teams. If the pro14 teams had more comparable funding then I believe that they would probably have a period of domination in Europe. The Blues won the second tier competition and Leinster won the top tier without losing a single game, plus 2 other sides made it to the semifinals. Happy days for the Celtic nations.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:21pm
Leinster won every game. The teams included the current Champions cup holders, the PRO14 cup holders, the team leading the French top 14, the Aviva premiership cup holders and the team in top place in the PRO14. That’s a big achievement.
The Brain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Bryn@man Bryn@man wrote:

Originally posted by The Brain The Brain wrote:

No need mun ... It's going to be another Scarlets v Munster final

HaHa! Now that would be something eh? Big smile

If you cannot bite, never show your teeth.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Well, what a yawn-fest!

Leinster 15 Racing 12 - all penalties.

Leinster looked like they'd been living on a diet of sleeping pills since their excellent performance in the semi. Too much aimless kicking by both sides... too little invention... and, oddly, Leinster didn't use their 2-man rushes at all to get over the gain line (Racing did, a few times, but not consistently). 

The game sank into a morass of mediocrity. What a disappointment.

Well done to Leinster but for me the better team lost. Thought Barnes botched his late decision to penalise Nakatawa for what looked like a fair tackle - this led to Leinster securing field position and the final penalty. We have had a lesson on how to stop the relentless one out attacking wave of Leinster ball carriers. The Leinster forwards were made to scrap at every breakdown so were short of carriers once the ball, invariably slow, had been won. R92's blitz defence meant very little was seen of Leinsters centres and back 3. 

The hard carrying of R92 Gomes Sa, Arous, Chat, Nakarawa & that wonderful no 8 Nyanga kept the Leinster forwards very honest and pretty busy defensively. Whether we have forwards capable of that carrying is doubtful. Another lesson which I have spouted on all season is the exit strategy. Both sides yesterday had no problem in kicking long and dead happy to re-set their defensive lines. A final word for James Ryan - is he still only 21? What a player - you can only imagine him in 5 years with another 5kgs. The Lions boilerhouse is in rude health with Itoje & Ryan set to be starters for the next few trips. 
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:03am

Leinster won every game. The teams included the current Champions cup holders, the PRO14 cup holders, the team leading the French top 14, the Aviva premiership cup holders and the team in top place in the PRO14. That’s a big achievement.

They couldnt have had a harder 9 games! Also apart from the last game they made them all look quite comfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic