Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leinster v Racing 92

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Well, what a yawn-fest!

Leinster 15 Racing 12 - all penalties.

Leinster looked like they'd been living on a diet of sleeping pills since their excellent performance in the semi. Too much aimless kicking by both sides... too little invention... and, oddly, Leinster didn't use their 2-man rushes at all to get over the gain line (Racing did, a few times, but not consistently). 

The game sank into a morass of mediocrity. What a disappointment.

Well done to Leinster but for me the better team lost. Thought Barnes botched his late decision to penalise Nakatawa for what looked like a fair tackle - this led to Leinster securing field position and the final penalty. We have had a lesson on how to stop the relentless one out attacking wave of Leinster ball carriers. The Leinster forwards were made to scrap at every breakdown so were short of carriers once the ball, invariably slow, had been won. R92's blitz defence meant very little was seen of Leinsters centres and back 3. 

The hard carrying of R92 Gomes Sa, Arous, Chat, Nakarawa & that wonderful no 8 Nyanga kept the Leinster forwards very honest and pretty busy defensively. Whether we have forwards capable of that carrying is doubtful. Another lesson which I have spouted on all season is the exit strategy. Both sides yesterday had no problem in kicking long and dead happy to re-set their defensive lines. A final word for James Ryan - is he still only 21? What a player - you can only imagine him in 5 years with another 5kgs. The Lions boilerhouse is in rude health with Itoje & Ryan set to be starters for the next few trips. 

That was key to how the game went - but I'm baffled that Leinster simply didn't even once (that I remember) use their tactic of sending two-man charges at the heart of the Racing defence... they did it all match against us, and it allowed them to cross the gain line and recycle quickly. Yesterday, the were sending single guys up, which simply didn't work against a big, strong defence like Racing's - who also made good use of the spot blitz around 3 men out, as you mention.

Why their coaches chose to abandon such an effective tactic, only they can know. The result was a stalemate, with little rugby worth watching - IMO, of course!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Sponsored Links

Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:30am

Well, what a yawn-fest!

Leinster looked like they'd been living on a diet of sleeping pills since their excellent performance in the semi. Too much aimless kicking by both sides... too little invention... and, oddly, Leinster didn't use their 2-man rushes at all to get over the gain line (Racing did, a few times, but not consistently). 

Well done to Leinster but for me the better team lost. Thought Barnes botched his late decision to penalise Nakatawa for what looked like a fair tackle - this led to Leinster securing field position and the final penalty. We have had a lesson on how to stop the relentless one out attacking wave of Leinster ball carriers. The Leinster forwards were made to scrap at every breakdown so were short of carriers once the ball, invariably slow, had been won. R92's blitz defence meant very little was seen of Leinsters centres and back 3. 

The hard carrying of R92 Gomes Sa, Arous, Chat, Nakarawa & that wonderful no 8 Nyanga kept the Leinster forwards very honest and pretty busy defensively. Whether we have forwards capable of that carrying is doubtful. Another lesson which I have spouted on all season is the exit strategy. Both sides yesterday had no problem in kicking long and dead happy to re-set their defensive lines. A final word for James Ryan - is he still only 21? What a player - you can only imagine him in 5 years with another 5kgs. The Lions boilerhouse is in rude health with Itoje & Ryan set to be starters for the next few trips. 

That was key to how the game went - but I'm baffled that Leinster simply didn't even once (that I remember) use their tactic of sending two-man charges at the heart of the Racing defence... they did it all match against us, and it allowed them to cross the gain line and recycle quickly. Yesterday, the were sending single guys up, which simply didn't work against a big, strong defence like Racing's - who also made good use of the spot blitz around 3 men out, as you mention.

Why their coaches chose to abandon such an effective tactic, only they can know. The result was a stalemate, with little rugby worth watching - IMO, of course!

Leinster weren't as up for it as they were against us. They also couldnt get away with any illegal clear outs, something which i think was highlighted to wayne barnes and his team by racing. Racing also got away with a lot more at the breakdown, standing in front of the ruck so it made it hard to clear out, whilst someone else went in to jackle and slow the ball down. Racing s blitz defence was pretty outstading but it was build on slowing the ball down. It was a definite yellow for nakaraw for the slap down, which was racings second!
One thing we have learnt from leinster is you have to have an all court game to win europe. We are going to have to develop an exeter/leinster direct running and driving game so we can play it when we have certain refs. I think the best teams play the ref and they are adaptable before and during the game. We are a little bit guilty sometimes of being too concentrated on playing our style we forget to play the ref, the opposition and the occasion. I think thats part of the development of the scarlets team and coaches over the next couple of years.
Antietam1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antietam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:46am
Leinster also missed a trick in not being able to play Lowe under the two furriner rule, Larmour at 20 has nothing like the power of Lowe.
Anyway delighted to have twice as many trophy's as my Munster friends and in laws.
Sorry about the dull game.
One of their backrow's smashed little McGrath in the face at scrum time slightly late and with the shoulder, weird Doyle did not spot it.
badabing badabook
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:54am
I reckon Munster can be them.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

On what we have seen this season. If leinster turn up they will beat Munster don't believe anyone on this site will disagree with that. I imagine what you are saying is that if leinster play really badly and munster play out of their skin.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:15pm
Firstly I have applaud the tenacity and professionalism of this Leinster team, they beat all the top dogs in European rugby and made it look easy (with the exception of the final).

Very impressed with Racing's defence. Leinster were largely prevented from bullying the breakdown with their pods of carriers by the chop tackle and Racing's big forwards fronting up at the subsequent breakdown.

I thought Racing were very fortunate to keep 15 on the pitch, Teddy Thomas should have been carded for the interception penalty. He knew he was a mile offside and prevented a near certain try scoring overlap. They were also guilty of two deliberate knock-ons, Barnes was very lenient.

Thought Racing were very unlucky with injuries and still nearly pulled it off. My sympathy only goes so far, when they can buy a bench like they have.

Well done Leinster, deserved champions of Europe. Really hope we play them again soon!
Joshua24:15
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

On what we have seen this season. If leinster turn up they will beat Munster don't believe anyone on this site will disagree with that. I imagine what you are saying is that if leinster play really badly and munster play out of their skin.

Next week is a good time to play them.  Fresh from a big, hard game this week.  They will have to refocus and Munster will be well up for it.  If anyone can sneak a win in Dublin, they can.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Next week is a good time to play them.  Fresh from a big, hard game this week.  They will have to refocus and Munster will be well up for it.  If anyone can sneak a win in Dublin, they can.

In one word...... hangover

Both literal and metaphorical
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:57pm
What a game of rugby! Even though there were no tries it was highly entertaining. Llongyfarchiadau mawr i Leinster!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

Well, what a yawn-fest!

Leinster weren't as up for it as they were against us. They also couldnt get away with any illegal clear outs, something which i think was highlighted to wayne barnes and his team by racing. Racing also got away with a lot more at the breakdown, standing in front of the ruck so it made it hard to clear out, whilst someone else went in to jackle and slow the ball down. Racing s blitz defence was pretty outstading but it was build on slowing the ball down. It was a definite yellow for nakaraw for the slap down, which was racings second!
One thing we have learnt from leinster is you have to have an all court game to win europe. We are going to have to develop an exeter/leinster direct running and driving game so we can play it when we have certain refs. I think the best teams play the ref and they are adaptable before and during the game. We are a little bit guilty sometimes of being too concentrated on playing our style we forget to play the ref, the opposition and the occasion. I think thats part of the development of the scarlets team and coaches over the next couple of years.

Fair comments - and I agree that, for whatever reason, Leinster simply weren't as 'up for it' as they were in the semi.

Could it have been because they played in front of a home crown in the Aviva? In Bilbao, I think the support was evenly split. Or maybe the travelling, as opposed to just rolling out of bed in the morning?

I did find it odd that they seemed so lethargic.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:11am
Maybe the occasion got to them like it did us?
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:00pm
Hoping Munster can get the win over them in the semi.
And We Were Singing...
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:02am
It only needs a slight difference to make all the difference (if you get what I mean) and I think they just had one of those days against us where everything clicked (and it didn't for us). It was the best performance IMO by any team this season (club, region or international). Racing will also have learned from that match (as we will if we meet them in the Pro 14 final)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic