Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli and Scarlets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwenR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Llanelli and Scarlets
    Posted: 27 August 2004 at 3:17pm
Does anyone know when the nickname Scarlets really started to be used for Llanelli?  Is it quite modern (last 50 years?) or from the start?
Sponsored Links

mAce View Drop Down
Founder
Founder
I'm Real

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2004 at 3:29pm
Good question, I'm not the greatest on LLanelli history, but I'm sure we didn't start off playing in scarlet....
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2004 at 3:47pm
i started a topic on this on the old website which mentioned the date i think. it also mentioned the fact that stradey is 100yrs old and something about wasps too, can u find it admin?
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2004 at 3:53pm

found it

i found my copy of 'the scarlets' by gareth hughes earlier which is a book on the history of the club, here's wot i found

'1904, this was a historic year as it saw the club move to their 'new' pitch at stradey which is still the headquarters of llanelli rugby', 'the committee bravely chose the visit of swansea on 15 october for the formal opening of the ground'

now if my calculations are correct doesn't that mean it's 100 years since that date? (!)

i find it incredible no one has picked up on this, especially as the ground won't be around much longer!

1879 - (50yrs) first obtained use of stradey (cricket ground) for their matches

1884 - (120yrs) first wore scarlet

1994 - (10yrs) llanelli warriors formed

1954 - (50yrs) first played Wasps (!!)

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2004 at 12:12am
As far as I was concerned, as soon as we started wearing scarlet, the nickname was born. Previously, we wore some strange colours including chocolate and pink !!
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2004 at 6:11pm
nothing wrong with chocolate and pink mind you.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

scarlets 4eva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlets 4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2004 at 8:18pm

haha that would sound great in the matches

c'mon u chocolates or c'mon u pinks

i think they used to wear blue as the home kit or thats something i heard

SCARLET FEVER TV - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic