Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > RANDOM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli Colloquialisms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Mister Jolly Mister Jolly wrote:

'Mant', as in "Fancy going for a mant tonight?"

Meaning: Going a bit quicker than you should in a car, on a motorbike, etc.

Llanelli word?  We used it quite a lot, back in the day.  Big smile
I thought 'Mant' was when you went shanting with munters? LOL
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
Sponsored Links

Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 7:30pm
Goffa was a bit of slang back in the day. Also haven't heard it used for about 15 years till it slipped out the other day with some mates. Don't know how the mind works!
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 8:16pm
Having moved up from Bridgend as a kid I remember the other kids cacking themselves laughing when I asked for a paaastie in the ffreutur. I'd never heard of eh ba boo at that point so I reckon that could be a west thing. My Mam being from the Rhondda still asks me "Ows yew butties then?"

My favorite Llanelli-ism is "beaut" - short for "there's a beauty." Heard it used a lot in the Masons years ago - meaning a person spoiling for a fight in the mistaken belief that a person of alternative tastes is somehow a walking veiled criticism of their lifestyle choice and an unspoken threat to their ego .... or c*#k for short

I always loved Welsh nicknames too. Pete Mun (always ended his sentences with "mun") and Pete Viking/Hannibal Lecter (on account of his fancy dress outfits) amongst my favourites!
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Lewsyn-yr-heliwr View Drop Down

suspended

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewsyn-yr-heliwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2016 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Goffa was a bit of slang back in the day. Also haven't heard it used for about 15 years till it slipped out the other day with some mates. Don't know how the mind works!

"Bavin"or "Bav"another-the etymology of which was equally cruel.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2016 at 10:45am
One of the things I've taken a while to get used to since working in East Wales, with a number of valleys people, is:

"Where's it to?"

That basically means: where is something? "Where's the scissors?" Becomes "where's the scissors to?"
Also, they'll ask "where you to?" if you're going anywhere.

Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

One of the things I've taken a while to get used to since working in East Wales, with a number of valleys people, is:

"Where's it to?"

That basically means: where is something? "Where's the scissors?" Becomes "where's the scissors to?"
Also, they'll ask "where you to?" if you're going anywhere.

Lot of jacks speak like that as well, don't get where they pick that up or taught to speak, perhaps they don't lol. 'Where's to you work' taxi driver asked me last week lol!
scarlet-brock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet-brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2016 at 10:33pm
I moved to Llanelli from the valleys about 40 years ago, the first colloquialism I found strange was "of course that" meaning yes. But the one I still cannot understand is "who belongs to that boat/car etc:"
If it works, don't knock it.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

mun? is that even a word?its sort of added on to the end of a sentence just to add some additional moaniness.

eg..."those english forwards were killing the ball all day and were well offside at every ruck...mun"

works a treatApprove

Not been living in Llanelli for nearly 20 years, but I still add "Mun" at the end of sentences when I'm angry! LOLLOLLOL

"F**KING HELL........MUN!" or "I'll do the dishes now after........MUN!" LOLLOLLOLLOL

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 3:50pm
Is "Spew" a Llanelli word? As in "I've had to much shant, going to spew my guts up!" LOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by scarlet-brock scarlet-brock wrote:

I moved to Llanelli from the valleys about 40 years ago, the first colloquialism I found strange was "of course that" meaning yes. But the one I still cannot understand is "who belongs to that boat/car etc:"

What we call patrwm iaith cymraeg. It's from Pwy sy'n berthyn y car yna? Same pattern of words. You see the problem in reverse when people learn cymraeg and use english language patterns.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Is "Spew" a Llanelli word? As in "I've had to much shant, going to spew my guts up!" LOL

No, spew is used down east too. Although the expression " I was spewing" meaning "I was very disappointed" is a bit of a curiosity.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

No, spew is used down east too. Although the expression " I was spewing" meaning "I was very disappointed" is a bit of a curiosity.

LOLLOLLOL So if I said "I was spewing all over the place" you might be confused thinking that I was disappointed all over the place LOLLOLLOLLOL
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 4:15pm
What about "Da Bo" or "Da Bo De" meaning "See you later" Confused
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 4:20pm

Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

LOLLOLLOL So if I said "I was spewing all over the place" you might be confused thinking that I was disappointed all over the place LOLLOLLOLLOL

All about context

"Da bo chi" literally means "good go with you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic