Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli RFC New Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:13am
Like many I have had nothing but praise ( and gratitude) for the RFC operating model, and the way the region have collaborated with them down the years both on talent development, and wider squad players needing game time.

However I can only see the trend of the team becoming more and more like a Championship Select XV continuing when there are full fixture weekends (inc. the U23 games).

Given that context, and having 3 teams in the Prem, each having an allocation from the region, it's probably stretching limited resources a little thin, and unfortunately I fear the RFC is likely to be the least sustainable of the 3 if that turns out to be true.

You also some Prem sides signing up ex region players on salaries that are akin to what fringe and academy players are on...again adds to our challenges.

Not sure if there's a way out of it, unless of course you abandon your original core principal of being a key part of the feeder mechanism and just go out to be a stand alone rugby entity.

Edited by Wil Chips - 05 July 2018 at 9:17am
Sponsored Links

pêl rygbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pêl rygbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Like many I have had nothing but praise ( and gratitude) for the RFC operating model, and the way the region have collaborated with them down the years both on talent development, and wider squad players needing game time.

However I can only see the trend of the team becoming more and more like a Championship Select XV continuing when there are full fixture weekends (inc. the U23 games).

Given that context, and having 3 teams in the Prem, each having an allocation from the region, it's probably stretching limited resources a little thin, and unfortunately I fear the RFC is likely to be the least sustainable of the 3 if that turns out to be true.

You also some Prem sides signing up ex region players on salaries that are akin to what fringe and academy players are on...again adds to our challenges.

Not sure if there's a way out of it, unless of course you abandon your original core principal of being a key part of the feeder mechanism and just go out to be a stand alone rugby entity.

It's interesting this new league structure with the prospects of relegation, it is as if it has caused clubs to strenegthen their position through recruitment. A number of teams have brought in some interesting (and i suspect expensive signings) coaches and players. Has this restructure inadvertantly created a league akin to the English championship not for promotion but fear of relegation.
Rugby Supporter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic