Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli v Quins ...link

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

If you are going to compare semi-pro rugby,  to top flight rugby  (of any era) then expect relevant repleis.

The competition is exactley the same as the cup competition that used to attract 55,000 crowds. The one difference is that due to regionalisation, the great teams of old are now semi-professional and as such, it doesn`t have the "support" that it used to.

the cup finals of old would be like an extra trial, full of internationals, spiced up with proper club rivalry. in terms of domestic rugby you could get much higher, and its where the nuetrals would gravitate to see top class rugby. now they get it from the umpteen internationals per year. they don`t need to go to magners, or semi pro rugby to get it.

Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:38pm

The competition is exactley the same as the cup competition that used to attract 55,000 crowds.

[/QUOTE]

But the players aren't. They're 18 year olds. On development contracts.  Or 34 year olds over the hill.Who have never played at the top level.

And you're surprised that 55,000 people don't turn up to watch them?

I think I must have missed the point here.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:19pm

The competition is exactley the same as the cup competition that used to attract 55,000 crowds.

But the players aren't. They're 18 year olds. On development contracts.  Or 34 year olds over the hill.Who have never played at the top level.

[/QUOTE]

Don`t partially quote me when I also said that "the one difference is that due to regionalisation, the great teams of old are now semi-professional and as such, it doesn`t have the "support" that it used to.

I repeat. I`m not surprised that there isn`t 55,000 there because the competition, which in essence is the same competition as it always has been, no longer has the profile that it used to because it is now a semi pro competition. I didn`t see any harm in reminising about what for me used to be a special day. I appreciate that those who follow the semi-pros will disagree with me but for me personally, the magic of Cup Final Day disappeared when professional rugby went regional.

To be brutally honest, taking the size of the yesterdays` crowd into consideration, I don`t think the WRU can justify holding the "finals day" at the MS anymore.
In Pivac we trust
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:09am
Can't believe this wasn't a sell out for such a big game
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:38am
Originally posted by flanker flanker wrote:

Can't believe this wasn't a sell out for such a big game
LOL
jonesb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:24am

Don`t partially quote me when I also said that "the one difference is that due to regionalisation, the great teams of old are now semi-professional and as such, it doesn`t have the "support" that it used to.

I repeat. I`m not surprised that there isn`t 55,000 there because the competition, which in essence is the same competition as it always has been, no longer has the profile that it used to because it is now a semi pro competition. I didn`t see any harm in reminising about what for me used to be a special day. I appreciate that those who follow the semi-pros will disagree with me but for me personally, the magic of Cup Final Day disappeared when professional rugby went regional.

To be brutally honest, taking the size of the yesterdays` crowd into consideration, I don`t think the WRU can justify holding the "finals day" at the MS anymore.
[/QUOTE]

Surely that depends if they are holding it there at a loss of revenue?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:52am

[/QUOTE]

I'm happy that competitions like the Heineken Cup have really grown in stature, even if it is at the expense of Swalec Cup / Schweppes cup.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 1:41pm
We had more chance of winning them.
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by jonesb jonesb wrote:

But the players aren't. They're 18 year olds. On development contracts.  Or 34 year olds over the hill.Who have never played at the top level.And you're surprised that 55,000 people don't turn up to watch them?I think I must have missed the point here.

Surely that depends if they are holding it there at a loss of revenue?
[/QUOTE]

I dont think the wru are to bothered about the crowd, i think its more along the lines of giving players in lower divisons the chance to play in the millennium stadium, that is a dream come true for most players in the swalec leagues and on saturday 76 players did that
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:47pm
Exactly and i applaud the WRU for this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic