Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Would people say they think the centre of town has gone downhill over the last decade? There always seems to have been an extra couple of shops closed or replaced by pound stores in each of my fleeting visits back. I do feel nostalgic for the town of my youth, but I haven't spent enough time in Llanelli recently to comment further.

However, my opinion of Swansea has definitely dropped year-by-year - I can honestly say Sheffield is a far, far nicer city.
it would take a lifetime to visit every shop and eaterie in meadow hall.Big smile 
Sponsored Links

M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:28pm
Iesgyrn, Sal, what's got into you?
I live and work in Llanelli. I've raised two kids here and both (and all their friends) haven't turned out too badly.

There is a certain section of the population in any town/city where the population have behavioural issues in terms of anti-social aspects. They are, in the main, those who have not had  a good education and/or very poor parental backing. There are, of course, many who haven't had the backing but "make" it anyway, despite their parents.
If you check any young offenders unit you'll see that the vast majority of them come disadvantaged backgrounds and/or have poor educational attainment.

It's headling grabbing stuff to quote all the problems (and there are).

It's hardly the fault of the town that the health board is incresingly becoming centralised. Indeed, an excellent fight against this has been waged by Llanelli people.

That's all for now, back to work.

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

there are massive problems in Llanelli Ian,

Methadone is a massive issue in Llanelli, top in Wales and 4th highest in the UK!! Alarming stats.

maybe I'm seeing things from the outside and that is the difference. coming from where I am, all that concerns people down here is how big the waves are today, there's just very little pressure on children down here, the usual thing for them to do is go down the beach and have a bbq....

Newquay has issues as well, with the amount of weed here, but not to the point where I feel that there is quite seriously an issue starting to emerge in Llanelli where a generation is being lost to the methadone culture.

you also add the degradation of the emergency services to Carmarthen and Llanelli's outlook as a vibrant town is slowly being brought to it's knees by the health boards and emergency services.

They've obviously cleaned up since September ... What is their model ?

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Newquay-named-drug-hotspot/story-16896680-detail/story.html

Edited by scarletman - 19 December 2012 at 1:30pm
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by rolly rolly wrote:

come to live in burry port boys . we got a harbour with boats in it.

& a dodgy Carpet Shop that doesn't open when the Scarlets are at Home !Wink
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

there are massive problems in Llanelli Ian,

Methadone is a massive issue in Llanelli, top in Wales and 4th highest in the UK!! Alarming stats.

maybe I'm seeing things from the outside and that is the difference. coming from where I am, all that concerns people down here is how big the waves are today, there's just very little pressure on children down here, the usual thing for them to do is go down the beach and have a bbq....

Newquay has issues as well, with the amount of weed here, but not to the point where I feel that there is quite seriously an issue starting to emerge in Llanelli where a generation is being lost to the methadone culture.

you also add the degradation of the emergency services to Carmarthen and Llanelli's outlook as a vibrant town is slowly being brought to it's knees by the health boards and emergency services.

They've obviously cleaned up since September ... What is their model ?

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Newquay-named-drug-hotspot/story-16896680-detail/story.html
drugs, homelessness and alcohol issues? cornwall isn't the utopia that we have been led to believe. sounds like a..........erm, what's the word? ah yes, sh1thole
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 2:00pm
It may not be for me to comment as ive never lived in Llanelli but i will as ive had some experience of the town.

Firstly ive had very close relatives who have had a lot of treatment and care at Price Phillip Hospital and i can honestly say that the care received was way and above the call of duty. I have no hesitation in praising the hospital for some exellent serivce and i will always be extremly graetful to them for that.

People often comment on the fact that Carmaerthen now seems a better town and in some ways i suppose that is correct but Llanelli is a much bigger town which was maily an industrial town> Carmarthen is more of a rural market town and in some ways the two should not be compared.

I was in a food outlet in Cardiff last year when a crowd of children around the 12/13 year age grouop came in. There were probably around 30 of them. there were a few adults with them who i found out were there teachers. The children were not in school uniform so i was unable to detect where they were from. The children could not have been better behaved it was a pleasure to see them. I started to speak to the teachers and found out that they were from a secondary school in Llanelli. Although im not from the town i felt quite proud of them as ive spent a lot of time in Llanelli and part of my family were from here

In many ways i prefer the town of Llanelli to Carmarthen as i find the people friendlier. As gate 12 mentiooned the area has a lot going for it. The problems that face Llanelli are commom to most towns in South Wales. I have a friend who is a Llanelli boy and he is now a policeman in Swansea and he said there was nothing in Llanelli to compare as to how rough some parts of Swansea were.

Ive enjoyed many a good night out in Llanelli i  prefer it to Carmarthen to be honest. Talk your twon up and not down.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 2:01pm
Flood alerts and weather warnings down Cornwall way, one less thing for them to worry about - i.e. what to chuck on the bbq this weekend.

Edited by Gate12 - 19 December 2012 at 2:03pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 2:38pm
there's a sign being erected on the tamar bridge as we speak -abondon hope all ye who enter-LOL
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 2:47pm
It does depend on the parents in my opinion to an extent. I love living in Llanelli and would never leave but compared to years ago do people feel safe walking the streets alone? When was the last time any of you walked down station road, it's the norm to see drug dealing in the street. I'm not sure about the figures now but Llanelli had a bigger drug problem than Swansea. I recently saw a gang of kids making a nuisance of themselves outside a chippy. The police were called and asked for their names, the response? "Why should we tell you."
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Would people say they think the centre of town has gone downhill over the last decade? There always seems to have been an extra couple of shops closed or replaced by pound stores in each of my fleeting visits back. I do feel nostalgic for the town of my youth, but I haven't spent enough time in Llanelli recently to comment further.

However, my opinion of Swansea has definitely dropped year-by-year - I can honestly say Sheffield is a far, far nicer city.

Town centre decline has and is happening all across the UK. One that bucks the trend somewhat is Carmarthen and as a result I really enjoy going there when I have the chance. Llanelli is no different to the rest. However, there is investment into Llanelli town centre to turn it into a social/leisure hub rather than a retail hub.

That's good to hear. 
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

It does depend on the parents in my opinion to an extent. I love living in Llanelli and would never leave but compared to years ago do people feel safe walking the streets alone? When was the last time any of you walked down station road, it's the norm to see drug dealing in the street. I'm not sure about the figures now but Llanelli had a bigger drug problem than Swansea. I recently saw a gang of kids making a nuisance of themselves outside a chippy. The police were called and asked for their names, the response? "Why should we tell you."
No different to any other place though really.
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:05pm
Oh ye of little faith....Llanellis just been doing a rope a dope for a few years, the comeback of the century is just around the corner........first nandos, tomorrow the world!

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:06pm

All the teenagers in Cornwall are playing rounders, helping mummy bake cakes and knitting with granny mun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-192574/From-Newquay-Anar-quay.html

A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

All the teenagers in Cornwall are playing rounders, helping mummy bake cakes and knitting with granny mun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-192574/From-Newquay-Anar-quay.html

Us Turks would fit right in down there. When are we off for a weekend then chaps?
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Dan the Drover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the Drover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:19pm
Sorry guys, being a rural OAP I'm not as in touch as you guys are with the drugs scene.  However, isn't there a significant difference between METHADONE, which is (I believe) a heroin substitute, and MEPHEDRONE, which is a borderline amphetamine which was only recently made illegal in the EU and is still legal in the U.S. 

That's not to say that heavy use of drugs by the young is something that we should celebrate, but heroin addiction has got to be more of a danger to society and destructive of young lives.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:24pm
Dutchess of Cornwall is a homewrecker too.

Looking like a write off of a place tbh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic