Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Macron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2018 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

It is worrying that there is no transparency, culpability, or honesty reguards those in charge of the kit sponsorship negotiations. One big factor i feel in allowing these constant poor deals to rumble on over the last 10 to 15 yrs. Transparency? Seriously now Nic. This isn't a collaborative effort. Are you privvy to the financials suddenly? And honesty? What are you suggesting?

Also who is setting the remit to these people tasked with negotiations? Our multi millionaire benefactors maybe?

What is the remit? Revenue above all else at the time this was negotiated

Is it best bucks full stop?

If it is Its very very naive. In the climate we exist in, the only thing naive is your stance on this. We take the money.

Because when those extra few £££s cost you far more in image it turns out to be a total false economy.

Its clear that nobody fully appreciates the value in how important the kit is to a sports team. It has the ability to gain you global fans and recognotion. Potential sponsors want to be associated with quality. It creates a snowball effect. In an ideal world, yes. And as with our ability to negotiate coaches of higher worth/quality, we should be in a similar position next time around. But this deal was sealed before we won the Pro 12

the kit is the blank canvas. We seem happy to use any old bedsheet lying around. 'We' probably aren't happy. Come on, use your head mun

The designs look like theyve been done on MS Paint.

In red

Thanks for the time and effort in your reply. I agree the timing was before we had our peak, so common sense in strategy should surely say, only sign short term deals when you are crap, and tie in lucrative quality ones when doing well.

5 cowing years mun??? It stunk of not actually thinking that we would be any better within thiose 5 yrs. It should have had options of extension after 2 at the very most.
Dear God Nic, it is wasn't a bloody lease mate. You have to have regard to the relative bargaining positions of the parties, what was on offer at the time, and our financials. You have no idea about any of these things, save for the term and the disclosed fact it was the best financial sponsorship deal we have ever had. I agree, the kit is poo, but your hypothesising over contractual matters if nonsensical. 

Nigel Short is no idiot, and people speculating wildy about our shortcomings in the negotiation of this deal are fanciful in the extreme.

#George
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2018 at 11:24am
My problem with Macron isn't the brand per se, I don't really care who it is made by. It would be lovely to have Adidas, Nike or UnderArmour, but not many sides get that privilege. My problem is firstly the quality of the shirts. Last year I loved the design of that away shirt but as soon as I picked it up I put it down, quality is just awful. And secondly the distribution, to limit sales to internet and club shop is mind blowingly dumb. I can walk in to any number of sports shops in Pembrokeshire and pick up a Ospreys shirt, not one sells Scarlets apparel. If they are going down the web route they should be on ebay, amazon etc etc. One click platforms that people have accounts on. One brand webshops have had their day, they don't pull in the casual buyer. Once again this region does some things fantastically well, unfortunately their marketing and branding is still 10 years behind where it should be. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2018 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

There’s a difference between wearing a branded kit and being signed up by one.

Adidas have contracted Leinster, Brive, Harlequins and Munster In Europe the last time I looked, might have changed.

You can get a custom made Adidas kit off the peg. From multiple sources. Different gravy that.

We are a club knocking on the door of the next level of sponsorship across a whole range things, but it’s a hard door to open, given our potential merchandise sale levels , even harder.

We would need to counter that with being successful on the pitch, and be able to sustain that.

isn't that a bit of a catch 22 situation though wil?the quality and price of the merchandise would determine the potential sales?

Our replica kit sales levels haven’t really varied too much down the years tbh, regardless of the brand. Last years was pretty good. But generally it’s just to do with the demographics of where we are really.
The Ospreys can and have outsold us at a ratio of 4-1 quite often.
But I do agree, presenting a poor design/quality product is never a good idea in stimulating a sale.

I know I’m beating a familiar drum but it’s the Scarlets brand we have outsourced to Macron, not the shop or inventory. An oversight for sure, but to sign for 5 years?
... well let’s just say that’s an error. Plain and simple. ( I love our Board by the way, so this in no way is meant to be anything other than a constructive observation.)

Whereas we aren’t at the bottom end of the global shirt providers of late, we are certainly closer to that than the top...Burrda, Kooga, Macron....as PE SA posted I guess the only way to go is to leverage our buying power through the WRU...easy to say, but all regions have different deal lengths and structures right now, so a challenge.

Hugely surprised by Macron personally, they are not in the big leagues as we know, but they are Italian, and I expected innovative designs and fabrics to be the cornerstone of their offer. Instead we have Lonsdale fabrics and designs, but at market average prices.

Anyway I’m droning on...
topical as ever LOLLOL
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2018 at 2:01pm
Yeah our kit and merch is made by Macron southwest based in devon and bristol, which makes all the the kit ‘off the peg’ for the scarlets, its exactly the same products as my club kit (tracksuit top identical), only double the price.
Macron don’t pay us to make our kit as some might think, and I reiterate, smaller clubs have adidas and nike made by adidas and nike etc not always a secondary supplier.
And I agree with Diego getting our stock in sports shops would help sales no end.
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 12:52pm
The shop are selling Scarlets Oddballs hats. I thought " I'll have me one of those". £16.50 seems a reasonable price, until you click on the post and packing. £4.50 for a bloody hat!! I don't think so, daylight robbery.

Edited by NeylandAllBlack - 31 January 2019 at 12:52pm
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 1:19pm
That’s £21! I got mine through my local rugby club at £12.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

The shop are selling Scarlets Oddballs hats. I thought " I'll have me one of those". £16.50 seems a reasonable price, until you click on the post and packing. £4.50 for a bloody hat!! I don't think so, daylight robbery.
indeed same price as oddballs hats. I didn't pay the P&P though, selected pick up from store.
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

indeed same price as oddballs hats. I didn't pay the P&P though, selected pick up from store.

I'm not fortunate enough to be able to pick it up from the store.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 2:58pm

You can get the Valentines Special Offer & have a bobble hat & Boxers for £20 LOLLOL

Edit & £3.50 for P+P!!

Edited by Fscarlet - 31 January 2019 at 2:59pm
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 4:49pm

I was passing Llanelli last Friday so I picked one up. Nice hat
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

That’s £21! I got mine through my local rugby club at £12.
These hats usually cost £10 each with an order of 100 hats. Anything above £10 goes to the location which is selling them. If it’s your local club then most people will be happy to pay a little extra.

Edited by Sandman - 31 January 2019 at 6:38pm
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 7:04pm

Not sure if it’s me, but can’t see that option on the website, even emailed macron to ask about it but didn’t get a reply
DropOut22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DropOut22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 7:21pm

The store thats barely open
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I was passing Llanelli last Friday so I picked one up. Nice hat

Sadly that’s about right Neyland, postage would be about £3 plus the labour and packing. When you think of it that’s 4 pints at the stadium.ish. And they look good quality.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 8:27pm
Bit late to the party with these...I wore my Emlyn RFC oddballs bobble hat for last years SF v La Rochelle....they are available all over the lower league clubs fair play...

Mate got me a Haverfordwest RFC one for Xmas...that will stay in the drawer..good cause or not. Ych a fi.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:06pm
They are excellent quality in fairness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic