Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marler and Lawes cited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:14am
I don't see the English culture as being something that's sustainable. They're going beyond just having a bit of an edge about them and I think the 2 things that summed it up were Eddie Jones reaction and the way that Farrell reacted following his ticking off from the ref.

The ref made it very clear that he wanted him to speak to the team about goading and Farrell just walked back into the line and I'm pretty sure he didn't speak to a single player. Complete lack of respect for the ref which they collectively then backed up with a lack of respect for the opposition through various other incidents.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:42am
In all fairness to Woodward he is really taking this English set up to task. Farrell is not a good captain - he is a very niggly player and it amazes me why he hasn't been carded. I would give the captaincy to Itoje who is the stand out front 5 forward in Europe. Gatland should give him the armband for the Lions tour. 

Woodward's favourite quote is from an old NZ coach " no di..heads". That sums it up really and if the RFU followed that advice there would be no Marler, Genge, Farrell or by the way Eddie!!!!!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 1:09pm
our coaches and captain needed to highlight these english dirty tactics a week before the match....drawing attention to the fact referees always bottle it at twickenham and farrell the thug gets away with blue murder...alas I didnt notice pivac and co doing this
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 2:30pm
The culture and ethos of the team are personified by Eddie Jones and Owen Farrell - you really don't want to see their outlook rewarded, but it's a winning mentality - the result is everything, even if you have a red card, a yellow card, 2 other cards missed until the citing officer reviewed the footage, and a victorious coach accusing the referee of cheating. Mind-blowing arrogance.

In the 1971 Lions tour, Colin 'Pinetree' Meads was reluctant to be All Blacks captain as it meant he couldn't fulfil the 'enforcer' role needed to soften up the Lions pack. While some of the on-field antics would make last Saturday's incidents at Twickenham look like a Sunday School picnic, it certainly seems that the skipper no longer needs to have a higher moral standing than than the rest of the team. Indeed, according to Mssrs Jones & Farrell, you can simply lead by example, as long as you win. Ouch
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

The culture and ethos of the team are personified by Eddie Jones and Owen Farrell - you really don't want to see their outlook rewarded, but it's a winning mentality - the result is everything, even if you have a red card, a yellow card, 2 other cards missed until the citing officer reviewed the footage, and a victorious coach accusing the referee of cheating. Mind-blowing arrogance.

In the 1971 Lions tour, Colin 'Pinetree' Meads was reluctant to be All Blacks captain as it meant he couldn't fulfil the 'enforcer' role needed to soften up the Lions pack. While some of the on-field antics would make last Saturday's incidents at Twickenham look like a Sunday School picnic, it certainly seems that the skipper no longer needs to have a higher moral standing than than the rest of the team. Indeed, according to Mssrs Jones & Farrell, you can simply lead by example, as long as you win. Ouch

Gatland loves Farrell always bigs him up in interviews and books but he never picks a back as captain and no way will he start vs the boks away

Itoje  or  Ryan would be my guess and as an  outside bet  joe marler LOLLOL

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Gatland loves Farrell always bigs him up in interviews and books but he never picks a back as captain and no way will he start vs the boks away

Itoje stand out skipper for my money but I see Farrell starting at 10. I would go for Tuilagi at 12 with Foxy at 13. Foxy & Liam could be our only representation from Wales in the test team which will be full of English & Irish lads. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Itoje stand out skipper for my money but I see Farrell starting at 10. I would go for Tuilagi at 12 with Foxy at 13. Foxy & Liam could be our only representation from Wales in the test team which will be full of English & Irish lads. 

liam adams webb naividi and tips will be in the mix but none would be nailed on to start.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

liam adams webb naividi and tips will be in the mix but none would be nailed on to start.

Of course much will depend on fitness; I forgot Adams he has a strong case in competition with May & Watson. Webb's kicking game gives him a shout but I have a feeling this Ulster lad Cooney may come through. I certainly wouldn't be writing off Connor Murray either. Curry, Watson, Vunipola, Underhill, Ritchie, Stander & Doris will give Navidi & Tips plenty to think about. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 3:19pm
On the issue of the values and respect in our game I think I heard one of the best ways to keep and enhance them by Ugo Monye on the RUW podcast. He said we should follow the example of Cricket which fines their players a percentage of their match fees for things that go against the values of the game. For me this would be a good way to bridge the gap between no action and a citing / ban.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I don't see the English culture as being something that's sustainable. They're going beyond just having a bit of an edge about them and I think the 2 things that summed it up were Eddie Jones reaction and the way that Farrell reacted following his ticking off from the ref.

The ref made it very clear that he wanted him to speak to the team about goading and Farrell just walked back into the line and I'm pretty sure he didn't speak to a single player. Complete lack of respect for the ref which they collectively then backed up with a lack of respect for the opposition through various other incidents.
A good ref would have watched and checked whether his instructions to speak to the team were followed or ignored.

If the latter, then the consequences for future misdemeanours ratchet up a notch or two until they get back under control.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 2:48pm
gareth thomas mask slipped with his lewd comments here....hardly something good to say in front of millions
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

gareth thomas mask slipped with his lewd comments here....hardly something good to say in front of millions
Mask slipped? Is he Gay you mean? 🤨 Come on Roy , it was a live comment made with pundits including Mike  Phillips who were in stitches as it was really funny .However, bearing in mind it was on daytime time before the watershed, it was inappropriate and he later apologised. Lets not get too sanctimonious guys .  It’s more disappointing that Joe hasn’t said ‘sorry folks ‘ but he is a bit left field!

Edited by reesytheexile - 11 March 2020 at 4:10pm
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 4:56pm
Gareth Thomas comment was funny , hes a real bloke in a real mans sport and was making fun of himself lets not make an issue out of it 

As for Marler i guess that was also a bit of fun and something that happens between friends on opposing teams a lot in local Rugby. 

Should he be disciplined for it - well in my opinion id say no but bring in front of the citing committee and explain that , that sort of thing if done again would result in a discipline
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Gareth Thomas comment was funny , hes a real bloke in a real mans sport and was making fun of himself lets not make an issue out of it 

As for Marler i guess that was also a bit of fun and something that happens between friends on opposing teams a lot in local Rugby. 

Should he be disciplined for it - well in my opinion id say no but bring in front of the citing committee and explain that , that sort of thing if done again would result in a discipline
I disagree. The difference is this is seen by tens of millions and in particular by young impressionable kids...So whilst it would be laughed off down the rugby club between mates, on the worldwide stage the incident itself cant be condoned especially as it sends all the wrong messages that this nonsense is ok....Thomas comment was crude and lewd and whilst he was not trying to hurt anyone it was not appropriate, he half apologised so let it go. it wouldnt have been laughed off it happened to certain people thats for sure. double standards all over the place

Edited by roy munster - 11 March 2020 at 5:53pm
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Mask slipped? Is he Gay you mean? 🤨 Come on Roy , it was a live comment made with pundits including Mike  Phillips who were in stitches as it was really funny .However, bearing in mind it was on daytime time before the watershed, it was inappropriate and he later apologised. Lets not get too sanctimonious guys .  It’s more disappointing that Joe hasn’t said ‘sorry folks ‘ but he is a bit left field!
I’d say he’s very left field, as in not allowed back, for the coming weeks. 

Not sure which would suit more, a club games ban or an international games ban. Probably the club game ban would hit him most.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I’d say he’s very left field, as in not allowed back, for the coming weeks. 

Not sure which would suit more, a club games ban or an international games ban. Probably the club game ban would hit him most.
 He is a fool not even apologising - he’s got a young family as well. He is doing himself no favours is he on the wages front . I can only surmise he still doesn’t think he did anything wrong , including it being on TV !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic