Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Matthew Jones signed ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 6:16pm
unless nigel delivers the quality signings he promised people he will lose all credebility
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Sponsored Links

dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

unless nigel delivers the quality signings he promised people he will lose all credebility
Confused As far as I can remember all he said was that we were looking to bring in 2-4 'quality' players. He didn't promise anything to anyone and in any case what defines 'quality'??

The more I think about it the more this signing makes sense:
1) Next season we are likely to lose Sparky, Lamont, Stevo and Jon Davies for a significant part of the season with international call ups. This leaves a back line of:

10 - Rhys
12 - Scott Williams
13 - Maule/King/Reynolds
Wing - Fenby/Lee/Ajuwa
15 - Dan Evs, Newton, Stoddart

We are desperately short at 10, 12 and wing. By signing a 10 it enables Rhys to play at 12 and 15 which in turn enables Stoddart to move to the wing so strengthening us there too. It gives us a lot more depth, basically instead of signing a kicking utility back we've signed a kicking 10 enabling Priestland to become the utility back. He's already proved himself a competent 15 and with his physicality, distribution and defensive abilities I reckon he could make a pretty good 12 too.

2) He's Welsh. With Manu staying we have 4 NwQ's contracted for next season. If we really want to recruit 'quality' at 7 and lock then we need to look overseas as there aren't any decent Welsh players available. With a limit of 6 NwQ's next season that means we can't afford to bring in an overseas goal kicker. As far as I'm aware the Welsh goal kickers available for next season were Matthew Jones, Flanagan and Connor and let's face it Matthew Jones is way better than the other 2.  

3) Matthew Jones is a decent well liked player at Worcester and it sounds as though he supports the Scarlets. From a personal level it seems as though he will fit in well at Parc y Scarlets.

All of this however, has a few caveats: that Matthew stays injury free, he isn't on a big wage and obviously that we bring players in at 7 and lock!!

BillyBigBalls View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBigBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 7:55pm
Well put Dan, it does make sense.

Not sure about Joe Ajuwa though, does he count as an NWQ Confused
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by BillyBigBalls BillyBigBalls wrote:

Well put Dan, it does make sense.

Not sure about Joe Ajuwa though, does he count as an NWQ Confused
I think in addition to the 6 NwQ we are allowed 2 time serving players i.e. players who if they stayed in Wales for 3 years would qualify for Wales. Ajuwa as he hasn't played representative rugby for another country would count as one of these.
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:25pm
Like the reasoning about MJ,  Dan. He's a capable player and a determined character - coming back from two serious injuries proves that. Probably more important by all accounts he's a good bloke and he'll be an asset to the squad.    
RichieT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:52pm

Here we go again.
merthyr.T.x.scarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merthyr.T.x.scarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Confused As far as I can remember all he said was that we were looking to bring in 2-4 'quality' players. He didn't promise anything to anyone and in any case what defines 'quality'??

1) Next season we are likely to lose Sparky, Lamont, Stevo and Jon Davies for a significant part of the season with international call ups. This leaves a back line of:

10 - Rhys
12 - Scott Williams
13 - Maule/King/Reynolds
Wing - Fenby/Lee/Ajuwa

We are desperately short at 10, 12 and wing. By signing a 10 it enables Rhys to play at 12 and 15 which in turn enables Stoddart to move to the wing so strengthening us there too. It gives us a lot more depth, basically instead of signing a kicking utility back we've signed a kicking 10 enabling Priestland to become the utility back. He's already proved himself a competent 15 and with his physicality, distribution and defensive abilities I reckon he could make a pretty good 12 too.

2) He's Welsh. With Manu staying we have 4 NwQ's contracted for next season. If we really want to recruit 'quality' at 7 and lock then we need to look overseas as there aren't any decent Welsh players available. With a limit of 6 NwQ's next season that means we can't afford to bring in an overseas goal kicker. As far as I'm aware the Welsh goal kickers available for next season were Matthew Jones, Flanagan and Connor and let's face it Matthew Jones is way better than the other 2.  

3) Matthew Jones is a decent well liked player at Worcester and it sounds as though he supports the Scarlets. From a personal level it seems as though he will fit in well at Parc y Scarlets.

All of this however, has a few caveats: that Matthew stays injury free, he isn't on a big wage and obviously that we bring players in at 7 and lock!!

what about rob higgitt ? Confused
http://www.youtube.com/user/walesxscarlets
Wrigley Man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrigley Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

10 - Rhys
12 - Scott Williams
13 - Maule/King/Reynolds
Wing - Fenby/Lee/Ajuwa

You make some good points there dan, i can certainly see where your coming from. I agree that he could turn out to be a good signing, although i was hoping for a slightly bigger name as our first signing for next season.
Allez Scarlets
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 9:39pm
Higgit will be gone in the summer , id love to see scott williams given a chance , he looks really good .
jon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 9:58pm
After being disapointed about Jones coming (Not seeing the logic), then allowing myself to be swayed about his use to the squad, I can now see myself being disapointed by him signing for someone else.

Ironic really... Confused
Trix View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by jon jon wrote:

After being disapointed about Jones coming (Not seeing the logic), then allowing myself to be swayed about his use to the squad, I can now see myself being disapointed by him signing for someone else.

Ironic really... Confused

Welcome to the forum.. lol LOL

The future is bright, the future is Scarlet!

www.cambriansafaris.co.uk <--- Please Click :)
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 10:09pm
At this point in time anybody decent wanting to come to us is a bonus, remember we cannot guarantee a player H Cup at present.

If we sign big players at present they will be coming for the money, which is always a danger. Lamont came because he wanted regular rugby and a chance to impress at Heineken Cup level and get back into the Scottish side. We were able to tick those boxes, If H Cup is an issue for an overseas player, were up against it!
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
merthyr.T.x.scarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merthyr.T.x.scarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I was told tonight,That worcester once capped outside half ,matthew jones,
as signed for the scarlets .

Matthew apparently turned down,the blues and the dragons,and is lifelong scarlets fan .

Anyone else heard this,signed on monday ?

where did u hear this out of curiosity?
http://www.youtube.com/user/walesxscarlets
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:03pm
I think people are getting a bit carried away with Ajuwa. He's only played in one full regional game. Yes he played well but that doesn't mean much unless he has a run of tidy games.
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think people are getting a bit carried away with Ajuwa. He's only played in one full regional game. Yes he played well but that doesn't mean much unless he has a run of tidy games.
Not unlike a moderator managing to get to an away game .....where the result is a win / win scenario for the person involved ...if she or he exists
Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:48am
It's active rumour season again!!  Wink
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic