Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michael Collins
    Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:15pm
He lines up for the Blues against the Lions on Wednesday.

There are suggestions in the article that he may come back to us and left because he was on loan to cover Scott and Sanjay who were injured at that time. He was still contracted to Otago so had to return.

It seems Pivac would be keen to get him back and has had some positive discussions with him?

He is Welsh qualified so would not take up an overseas place either.

Collins has spoken fondly of his time with us, so as he can play across the backs, he would be a valuable addition in my opinion, as we need players like this who will be available during the International windows.

Any thoughts on this one??
Page the oracle
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:17pm
Signed 3 year contract with Auckland blues
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
caucaunibuca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caucaunibuca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:22pm
Shannon Frizzell is someone I think we should be after. Don't think he's on the radar of anyone atm. He's Tongan/Welsh. But brought up in Tonga and played for them at U20 level.

He's still only 23 I think. Plays at 6. Very dynamic and powerful. Played great for the Tasman Mako's in ITM last year on their run to the final.

Qualifies for Wales through his father.
"Just grab the ball and fly, think you can fly" - Rupeni Caucaunibuca (advising Joe Rokocoko before his first game for the Auckland Blues)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:23pm
 According to ic Wales his contract,with the Blues and Otago runs out later this year,I would love Michael back at the Scarlets !!
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:25pm
I wasn't too fussed on him as a player personally.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I wasn't too fussed on him as a player personally.

Have too agree lots of hype for a player who was fairly ordinary for us. One good game up in Belfast was all i can think of.
Saying that he is playing good stuff for the blues and if comes back to us as an improved player he will be welcomed back.
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by caucaunibuca caucaunibuca wrote:

Shannon Frizzell is someone I think we should be after. Don't think he's on the radar of anyone atm. He's Tongan/Welsh. But brought up in Tonga and played for them at U20 level.

He's still only 23 I think. Plays at 6. Very dynamic and powerful. Played great for the Tasman Mako's in ITM last year on their run to the final.

Qualifies for Wales through his father.

I trust your judgement caucau, get on the phone to Pivac
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:41pm
Under Pivac though his game could flourish with us which was perhaps stifled previously. If he is playing consistently with the blues he can't be all bad
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:49pm
Thought he was very tidy myself. Read the game well and generally put himself in the right place at the right time. Only thing missing as I remember him was out and out pace.
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:02pm
I was impressed with him during his time with us. I think if he came back to us he could improve a lot and would fit in nicely with the way we play. The fact that he is used to the NZ way of rugby is a benefit because it would fit in with the way that Pivac and Stevo have had us playing this season.
Scarlets: providers of the finest rugby since 1872.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

I was impressed with him during his time with us. I think if he came back to us he could improve a lot and would fit in nicely with the way we play. The fact that he is used to the NZ way of rugby is a benefit because it would fit in with the way that Pivac and Stevo have had us playing this season.
Same here. Decent footballer with good rugby brain.
We're still still here!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Same here. Decent footballer with good rugby brain.
Me too.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:35pm
He didn't have great pace, a big boot or huge strength - he was just a really smart and intelligent player who could play across the backline. He's the sort of player we need in the squad who could fill in almost anywhere and I'd take him back.

Shannon Frizzell - any relation to former Wales and now Autralia/NSW Rugby League player Tyson Frizzell?
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 9:21pm
Just checked, he is related Tyson Frizzell, they are brothers, one plays union the other plays league. Their father is from Swansea and their mother is Tongan. He look quite a big unit next to his rugby league playing brother (Welsh international).
Staying on the topic of Michael Collins, I agree with the earlier comments about his time with us. I really liked what I saw with him, yes you could say he lacked outright pace but he more than made up for it with his reading of the game and running angles. I think he woul be a very good addition to our squad if he became available again.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:12pm
Can't find a reference to a 3 year contract for Collins with the Blues, only a 2017 deal!
Walesonline speculating about our interest:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/new-zealand-rugby-star-lining-13140150
Joshua24:15
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:13pm
I agree with all you guys who think Collins has an excellent rugby brain and just lacked flat out gas. If it's true that he can cover multiple positions, he'd be worth re-signing... I think he played mainly 15 when he was here, though, and I'd want to keep Jonny Mac there - he's blossomed in the last few weeks at FB (can I use that word about a rugby player?LOL)
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic