Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 3:03am
Leigh Halfpenny would be perfect for us at the moment.
Sponsored Links

2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 4:39am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

He's certainly be a decent back up kicker for when Hadleigh covers 10, 😉
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I wasn't too fussed on him as a player personally.

Have too agree lots of hype for a player who was fairly ordinary for us. One good game up in Belfast was all i can think of.
Saying that he is playing good stuff for the blues and if comes back to us as an improved player he will be welcomed back.
yep, always thought he was a decent player, but no JMc and a bit one paced. Sounds like he has kicked on since he left though

Given how well our academy does in terms of backs, does anyone else feel a little awkward about the possibility of fielding 2 New Zealanders in our starting back 3 in RCC games, assuming he played 15 and JM on the wing?

Edited by Once a monkey - 06 June 2017 at 8:05am
#George
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 9:13am
Michael is decent squad cover. He's WQ, experienced and covers a number of positions.

For me, he wouldn't be a first XV player - but our back three depth is terrible now.

Imagine Steff or Johnny get injured. 
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 9:17am
Collins would be an excellent signing. Jonny is equally at home on the wing lets remember. A first choice back 3 of Collins, Jonny & Steff would suit me well with Tom, Prydie, Corey & Ryan complementing. 
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Collins would be an excellent signing. Jonny is equally at home on the wing lets remember. A first choice back 3 of Collins, Jonny & Steff would suit me well with Tom, Prydie, Corey & Ryan complementing. 

This.

Plus he's also WQ and I wouldn't imagine he'd cost a fortune.

Fond memories of his time here too - seems like he'd be keen to come back.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 11:10am
Oh come on guys. You're just desperate for us to sign anyone. Collins was bang average here, and the Blues fans are saying exactly the same about him. Infact they're up in arms right now that he has been selected for the Lions game. Look on Planet rugby if you don't believe me.

We need more ambition than that, especially now that we've won the league and have a good seeding for Europe. We need to be making the most of this huge opportunity to turn the region around.
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 11:13am

Oh for Gods sake. Desperate. He'd be an awful fit for us.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Well you have criticised two options for FB so far. I would be very interested in who you believe we should go for to improve our back 3. 
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 1:03pm

Well you have criticised two options for FB so far. I would be very interested in who you believe we should go for to improve our back 3. 

Steff Evans, Johnny Mcnichol, Hadleigh Parks, Gareth Owen etc etc.

We have plenty of quality options for 15 within our current squad, and developing new back three players from within our region is our absolute speciality.

Everyone here is always obsessed with signing new backs, when it's up front that we have been notoriously weak. Thankfully, we have even developed depth in that area too, but we are still very weak with regards to close contact ball carriers. Yes we'd love to be slinging the ball around every game, but we know that that is not always possible and we come unstuck badly. We need the players to enact a plan B.

A Big name signing at 8 and perhaps lock too would be hugely positive for next season. A big name back 3 player would make little difference.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 1:20pm

We have plenty of quality options for 15 within our current squad, and developing new back three players from within our region is our absolute speciality.

Everyone here is always obsessed with signing new backs, when it's up front that we have been notoriously weak. Thankfully, we have even developed depth in that area too, but we are still very weak with regards to close contact ball carriers. Yes we'd love to be slinging the ball around every game, but we know that that is not always possible and we come unstuck badly. We need the players to enact a plan B.

A Big name signing at 8 and perhaps lock too would be hugely positive for next season. A big name back 3 player would make little difference.
if you move steff to full back we are short of quality on the wing for the pace of game we are playing.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 1:21pm

I imagine that the highlighted bold is miles wide of the mark. For seasons most have harked on about our shortcoming up front, particularly at 8. However, I agree about your comment regarding our ability to develop from within in the backs and if we have signed Prydie, then I would concentrate on a back 3 pool involving JM, Steff, Tom Williams, Conbeer, Gareth Owen and Prydie (supplemented by HP perhaps for RCC games) and put the money towards an 8.

I'm not sure we need locks though and can't see us spending money. We have Jake, Tad, Rawlins, Bullbring and Price. And if we have any ambition of keeping Tad, well, there is the budget for another lock gone in any event to give him an improved deal.

We need an 8. But ultimately, recruitment will come down to what the Board are willing to spend and whether our recent success brings greater investment/sponsorship. <y worry is have we already missed the boat for next season.
#George
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 1:22pm

The Scarlets are no longer weak up front that's a huge misnomer. Yes there's room for improvement but we have a decent pack
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

if you move steff to full back we are short of quality on the wing for the pace of game we are playing.

and with all of our "8's" available, what is the quality option for horizontal rain in a mud bath out in Galway?
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 1:31pm
It was pissing down in Dublin so much so that a Minster fan said to me on way on to ground that they would squeeze the life out of us and our backs wouldn't see the ball and laughed I couldn't find him after game. What I'm saying in roundabout way is that the conditions don't really matter. Our pack is the strongest I can remember and can stand up to anything thrown at them. Would love a true number 8 but Barclay and Boyde have been nothing short of brilliant for us so not that important as a good finisher on wing.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 1:34pm
Hopefully Condy can overcome his injury niggles and have a breakthrough season to compliment Barclay, Boyde & McLoud.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic