Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Millennium "Principality" Stadium Atmosphere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millennium "Principality" Stadium Atmosphere
    Posted: 13 November 2018 at 10:41pm

Not a strictly Scarlet post but, I went to the Australia game on Saturday and thought the atmosphere at the stadium was pants. 

It never used to feel like such a library - no matter who we were playing - but recent fixtures there I feel are no better than watching a game at Twickenham.

At the risk of inviting a winge fest, I was wondering what others on here thought of the atmosphere at the "Principality"?
DJ
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:04am
The days where the entire crowd would break into calon lan seamlessly and tunefully like a mass choir seem to have watered down ....Nowadays we have a vast amount of part time fans holding inflatable vegetables and waving dementedly at the cameras when they see themselves ar y teledu
The WRU should print the song lyrics in the programme and write in their to encourage synchronised singing. The wru could also blast a few of the first few notes of men of harlech or cwm rhonndda, calon lan, hymns yn arias over the loudpeaker every 10 minutes or so to see if if catches fire with the crowd
last sat was a bit flatter due to no tries too and the anthem was played far too quickly too....that happens every now and again, its pretty bizarre tbh
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:38am
"Not strictly a Scarlet post" ie. don't post it in Scarlets General then.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 5:13am
internationals used to be special occasions but because of the amount of games it has become boring and tedious,
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
joni_bach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 7:57am

Did you book tickets online? If so, at some point the WRU will send out a match day experience survey probably this week sometime. I filled in mine for the Scotland game. Plenty of characters to write your grievances and suggestions in.

On a side note, I think the atmosphere in the Millennium Stadium was much better than in the Principality Stadium.
Owen111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 9:16am
I went as a had some freebies - what really bothered me is that there wasnt really any hush whilst the 1/2p & Biggar were taking kicks. Everyone around me just kept talking like they were down the pub. 

I was on the third tier row 8 and you can pretty much hear everything behind you. The further you sit back the worse it gets
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 10:15am
Agreed totally on atmosphere. There was a lot of chatter and disinterest when the presentation on those players who had fought for their country was on the large screen, including the huge bravery of Sir Tasker Watkins former President of the WRU who was awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery. I wanted to hear his story and it was a bit of a struggle with the chatter. Very disappointing although the respect for the bugler and the Silence was superb apart from a little baby crying a bit and dad took the child out the back then -well done on that crowd tbf
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:19pm
I have been fortunate to have been to many internationals. The only internationals that still have GREAT atmosphere at the Pricnipality Stadium are Wales v All Blacks and Wales v England. Every other fixture is not a patch on those two. If theres a grand slam or 6N championship riding on any fixture, they can still be pretty good too. But through the autumn its usually a bit of a lul. despite even a bit of a historic win, even the final whistle cheer wasnt great!
Atmosphere was pretty dire. To my recollection, one of the biggest cheers of the day was when England scored the try v All Blacks on the big screen (which was later disallowed)! I was baffled by that!!! a huge cheer for England at the Principality! unheard of!
Cofi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:58pm
Perhaps the time has come to offer fans an alternative, a big screen and fanzone where everyone can drink to their heart's content whilst we can watch rugby next door?
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I have been fortunate to have been to many internationals. The only internationals that still have GREAT atmosphere at the Pricnipality Stadium are Wales v All Blacks and Wales v England. Every other fixture is not a patch on those two. If theres a grand slam or 6N championship riding on any fixture, they can still be pretty good too. But through the autumn its usually a bit of a lul. despite even a bit of a historic win, even the final whistle cheer wasnt great!
Atmosphere was pretty dire. To my recollection, one of the biggest cheers of the day was when England scored the try v All Blacks on the big screen (which was later disallowed)! I was baffled by that!!! a huge cheer for England at the Principality! unheard of!

What was great about that was that the England game was being shown with sound muted as the choir had to start on time and they finished their first song just as the score was turned down so it also sounded a massive cheers for the choir as well - hopefully they were chuffed 😉

Edited by reesytheexile - 14 November 2018 at 1:22pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

What was great about that was that the England game was being shown with sound muted as the choir had to start on time and they finished their first song just as the score was turned down so it also sounded a massive cheers for the choir as well - hopefully they were chuffed 😉

No!! blatant cheers for England, jumping out of their chairs, shouted things like "Get In", "Come On" and all were completeley deflated when the try was disallowed. Nothing to do with the choir unfortunately!
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 1:59pm

Have found over the last few years, the french fans create a real but about the places as well in fairness
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The days where the entire crowd would break into calon lan seamlessly and tunefully like a mass choir seem to have watered down ....Nowadays we have a vast amount of part time fans holding inflatable vegetables and waving dementedly at the cameras when they see themselves ar y teledu
The WRU should print the song lyrics in the programme and write in their to encourage synchronised singing. The wru could also blast a few of the first few notes of men of harlech or cwm rhonndda, calon lan, hymns yn arias over the loudpeaker every 10 minutes or so to see if if catches fire with the crowd
last sat was a bit flatter due to no tries too and the anthem was played far too quickly too....that happens every now and again, its pretty bizarre tbh

Yes good idea. I wonder whether they could implement a Red Wall/y wal goch, like the Football Assosication have, for fans who want to sing and bring an atmosphere when watching the game.

Just needs a part of the stadium who prefer singing over selfies.
DJ
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 2:23pm
Cardiff on international days is like the wild west. Lot of fans so pissed they miss most of the game. They arrive late up and down to the toilets spilling drinks, simmering aggression.
Cardiff has developed a bad rep with the Valley commandoes getting pissed up in witherspoons and then looking for a fight.
Public transport is a disaster.
Hotels way overpriced.
Much more fun following the scarlets abroad, more than happy to give games in Cardiff a wide berth.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Cofi Cofi wrote:

Perhaps the time has come to offer fans an alternative, a big screen and fanzone where everyone can drink to their heart's content whilst we can watch rugby next door?

This is a very good idea. 

Arms park plastic pitch could finally come in handy
DJ
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Public transport is a disaster.
Hotels way overpriced.
Much more fun following the scarlets abroad, more than happy to give games in Cardiff a wide berth.

Spot on.

Got an English rugby fan coming to Belfast with us cause he was at the Bath game last year and said the atmosphere was brilliant.
DJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic