Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Millennium "Principality" Stadium Atmosphere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Cardiff on international days is like the wild west. Lot of fans so pissed they miss most of the game. They arrive late up and down to the toilets spilling drinks, simmering aggression.
Cardiff has developed a bad rep with the Valley commandoes getting pissed up in witherspoons and then looking for a fight.
Public transport is a disaster.
Hotels way overpriced.
Much more fun following the scarlets abroad, more than happy to give games in Cardiff a wide berth.

I couldn't agree more. The whole experience is a waste of money and doesn't attract the true rugby fans any more. A trip to Clermont, Toulon or Limerick is far more satisfying & your mixing with real rugby people. 
Sponsored Links

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Cofi Cofi wrote:

Perhaps the time has come to offer fans an alternative, a big screen and fanzone where everyone can drink to their heart's content whilst we can watch rugby next door?

Been to a few fanzones over the years, and has to be said that they've generated more atmosphere than actually being at the game. ConfusedConfusedConfused 

It's a weird scenario for sure, but maybe it's because everyone is standing (or sitting on the floor) arm in arm, singing and enjoying a few beverages with quick access to the bars and toilets, instead of being squashed in a tiny seat, feeling guilty whenever you need to get up to go to the loo or to buy a drink (and then there's the bar queues for food and drink too). Then there's the crowd police that are quite frequent in telling others to sit down when they get up  to cheer.

In all the matches that I've attended at Parc Y Scarlets, and in all the various areas of the stadium where I've sat or stood, the best atmospheres that I've experienced have been when standing in the terrace at pitch side. ClapClapClap

Edited by Mrfwon - 14 November 2018 at 2:49pm
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 3:09pm

Cardiff on international days is like the wild west. Lot of fans so pissed they miss most of the game. They arrive late up and down to the toilets spilling drinks, simmering aggression.
Cardiff has developed a bad rep with the Valley commandoes getting pissed up in witherspoons and then looking for a fight.
Hotels way overpriced.
Much more fun following the scarlets abroad, more than happy to give games in Cardiff a wide berth.

Doesn't sound like it's changed much from my early years experiences in Cardiff.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 4:13pm

Hotels way overpriced.

That just about sums it up, doesn't it?

I have been fortunate to have watched Wales play in Cardiff since 1961 ( a 9-0 win v Ireland). There's no point being puritanical about it - rugby and drinking have always been linked, even then - but to the best of my recollection no drink was sold inside stadiums for a very long time after that date, so people took in hip flasks and the like. Drink was taken! So, why are things so very much worse now than in the 'good old days'?

Here are some reasons from my personal experience:

1. Selling beer inside the stadium encourages people to drink there rather than elsewhere... and allowing them to take beer to their seats is not a good idea. Last time we were in Cardiff, my wife had beer spilled on her no less than three times by a drunk in the row behind - and he became abusive when we (and our neighbours) complained - he had to be ejected by the stewards. I can accept the idea of people buying beer in the concourse, but allowing them to carry it back to their seats is asking for trouble, IMO. It also leads to an endless see-sawing, where the drinkers have to go to the toilet every few minutes (or to the bar for replenishments) and so it becomes very hard to see or concentrate on the game... which brings me to 

2. Too many people nowadays go to Wales games who have little or no interest in rugby. Back in the 1960s, believe it or not, the Arms Park was frequently not sold out even though its capacity was only 45k or so, and tests were far rarer. Those who went were genuine rugby fans, even if well-oiled ones at times. Now, it looks as if internationals are 'occasions' to be attended with friends, and a chance to let your hair down. Nothing is more dispiriting to me than to see people - when they appear on the 'big screen' - waving at the camera. "Look at me", FFS! I don't even know if the camera is ever on me, as I focus 100% on the pitch and the players. I could not give two sh*ts if my face appears on the screen, as I would not notice.

3. Too many internationals - back then, you got 2 tests per year in the 5 nations, and every 3-4 years, a test v a touring team. Those were genuinely exciting, big and rare occasions... now, tests are played so often that the sense of occasion is severely diluted. I still enjoy the 6N as a tournament, though the Cardiff experience is pretty crap.

4. Rip-off hotels: in the 60s and 70s, matches kicked off at 2:30 or 3:00pm... it was fairly easy to travel down and back from Aberystwyth in a day. Later, with floodlights, evening KOs were introduced...still not a problem at first, as B&Bs in Cardiff were still affordable. In the last few years, hotels get pre-booked in bulk (presumably by hospitality companies) and it has become not just expensive but practically impossible to get a room for an evening KO game. This makes it very difficult indeed for anyone to attend games if they live any distance from Cardiff, unless they go by bus - which does not suit all of us codgers.

So, I agree with all you say - and the Bath game last year was great to travel to and watch, as were the Dublin games in the last couple of years. No wonder I spend more time following the Scarlets than Wales nowadays. I do wish they'd have more early KO's, though!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Hotels way overpriced.

I have been fortunate to have watched Wales play in Cardiff since 1961 ( a 9-0 win v Ireland). There's no point being puritanical about it - rugby and drinking have always been linked, even then - but to the best of my recollection no drink was sold inside stadiums for a very long time after that date, so people took in hip flasks and the like. Drink was taken! So, why are things so very much worse now than in the 'good old days'?

1. Selling beer inside the stadium encourages people to drink there rather than elsewhere... and allowing them to take beer to their seats is not a good idea. Last time we were in Cardiff, my wife had beer spilled on her no less than three times by a drunk in the row behind - and he became abusive when we (and our neighbours) complained - he had to be ejected by the stewards. I can accept the idea of people buying beer in the concourse, but allowing them to carry it back to their seats is asking for trouble, IMO. It also leads to an endless see-sawing, where the drinkers have to go to the toilet every few minutes (or to the bar for replenishments) and so it becomes very hard to see or concentrate on the game... which brings me to 

2. Too many people nowadays go to Wales games who have little or no interest in rugby. Back in the 1960s, believe it or not, the Arms Park was frequently not sold out even though its capacity was only 45k or so, and tests were far rarer. Those who went were genuine rugby fans, even if well-oiled ones at times. Now, it looks as if internationals are 'occasions' to be attended with friends, and a chance to let your hair down. Nothing is more dispiriting to me than to see people - when they appear on the 'big screen' - waving at the camera. "Look at me", FFS! I don't even know if the camera is ever on me, as I focus 100% on the pitch and the players. I could not give two sh*ts if my face appears on the screen, as I would not notice.

3. Too many internationals - back then, you got 2 tests per year in the 5 nations, and every 3-4 years, a test v a touring team. Those were genuinely exciting, big and rare occasions... now, tests are played so often that the sense of occasion is severely diluted. I still enjoy the 6N as a tournament, though the Cardiff experience is pretty crap.

4. Rip-off hotels: in the 60s and 70s, matches kicked off at 2:30 or 3:00pm... it was fairly easy to travel down and back from Aberystwyth in a day. Later, with floodlights, evening KOs were introduced...still not a problem at first, as B&Bs in Cardiff were still affordable. In the last few years, hotels get pre-booked in bulk (presumably by hospitality companies) and it has become not just expensive but practically impossible to get a room for an evening KO game. This makes it very difficult indeed for anyone to attend games if they live any distance from Cardiff, unless they go by bus - which does not suit all of us codgers.

So, I agree with all you say - and the Bath game last year was great to travel to and watch, as were the Dublin games in the last couple of years. No wonder I spend more time following the Scarlets than Wales nowadays. I do wish they'd have more early KO's, though!

Sums it all up really , not much interest in going to watch Wales these days(still watch them onTO though) for all of the above and much prefer watching the Scarlets ,a much better atmosphere and experience in my opinion
saundersfoot scarlets
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 3:19am

Hotels way overpriced.

part 2 lol spot on...Between selfies and watching themselves on camera. they cant even concentrate on a the 2 minute verses of their national anthem ....Perhaps if the anthem was about themselves they may concentrate better....just sing the whole anthem using the same tune but replace all the words with me me me me me....LOL

Edited by roy munster - 15 November 2018 at 3:22am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 12:01pm
Last game I saw was six nations 2012 v France. Cost is mental and atmosphere isn’t anywhere near what it’s like with the scarlets. Why don’t they offer people beer tokens with their ticket? Maximum of 2 per person maybe? Can’t buy anymore after that then? Or something similar. Personally I’ll have 2 each half no problem but then I don’t need to pee as I don’t have a toddlers bladder lol
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 9:44am
myself and my son ,went to the Australia game,the other week. best day out,i've had in a while.great atmosphere.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Last game I saw was six nations 2012 v France. Cost is mental and atmosphere isn’t anywhere near what it’s like with the scarlets. Why don’t they offer people beer tokens with their ticket? Maximum of 2 per person maybe? Can’t buy anymore after that then? Or something similar. Personally I’ll have 2 each half no problem but then I don’t need to pee as I don’t have a toddlers bladder lol

Or a codger's - my prostate is the size of a pumpkin and I have to 'go' 2 or 3 times a night... for that very reason, I don't drink before matches any more... I don't want to miss any plays. People in the same row as me - a little younger - are up and down like sodding yo-yos, either buying beer or 'getting rid of it'.

It's pretty annoying, TBH. Just about tolerable so long as they don't spill it on us, though.

(You have the pleasure of 'codger's bladder' to come... if you live long enough!)
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 4:46pm

Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Or a codger's - my prostate is the size of a pumpkin and I have to 'go' 2 or 3 times a night... for that very reason, I don't drink before matches any more... I don't want to miss any plays. People in the same row as me - a little younger - are up and down like sodding yo-yos, either buying beer or 'getting rid of it'.

It's pretty annoying, TBH. Just about tolerable so long as they don't spill it on us, though.

(You have the pleasure of 'codger's bladder' to come... if you live long enough!)
I wonder if when you were younger you might have partaking of a beer or 2.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 4:47pm
Dont forget the ones half way to the bar who decide to stand and watch an exciting bit of play and block everyones view all part of the zany experience and worth every penny
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 12:45pm

Hotels way overpriced.

The two bold sections above are perfect examples, as you've already mention, where hospitality and sponsors play a huge part here. 

Huge chunks of seats, even sections of the stadium are swallowed up every single game due to hospitality and sponsors alike. This is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to get even a sniff of an international ticket (you can kiss the 6 Nations in to touch straight away) if you are Joe Bloggs just looking to go and watch a game.
joni_bach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 10:35pm
Two separate points:

1. Yes, the atmosphere is good in PYS because you've got true rugby fans. The only exception is when you have the big ticket games like La Rochelle. Suddenly the quilted jacket brigade discover that they're Scarlet fans and decide to start their evening's entertainment by coming to PYS, buying a £4 drink, taking two sips and then throwing it in the air when we score. Maybe we should find a way of segregating these people in their own pen so they can soak each other to their heart's content. Where are these fans on the rainy Friday night games against Treviso?

2. With regards to hotel prices, I was going to say that they have gone up across the board at any time of year and now I'm considering using AirBnB, although I've checked and found that it is possible to get a room for £50 in Cardiff on a matchday, if you're prepared for a walk to Splott, Adamstown, Cathays or Canton. Last time I checked though, there was a £30 room near Murrayfield on the night of the next Scotland game so AirBnB might be the way forward. Let's hope the supply of AirBnb hosts goes up, driving down hotel prices everywhere. 

Edited by joni_bach - 20 November 2018 at 10:36pm
Winston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 4:05pm
Don’t want to upset anyone but my wife keeps saying how quiet it is at PYS after 30 years at Kingsholm. I’m sure Scarlets fans are just as passionate. The rugby is an excellent brand. Just lots more supporters at The Holm. They had 12000 for the Mickey Mouse cup the other week. Partly because it’s on the season ticket    Looking forward to Friday night which I’m told clashes with the carnival
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 6:03pm
shes right about gloucester, the shed is the most atmospheric club ground ive ever visited fair play
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 6:49pm
Winston,

Someone once told me that anything before but was bull5h1t.

Having read your posts before, I think yours is probably an exception and more down to adjusting to your new environment, to which you and your wife are most welcome.

It’s good to get new blood both on the forum as well as through the turnstiles and I enjoy reading your contributions. There’s almost always a positive tone there and a desire for Scarlets success.

The fixture that is unlucky enough to fall on Carnival Night is definitely a quieter one than usual. Many have said it’s a shame that the club can’t block out the date with the fixture organisers.

It is what it is and if you’ve got a megaphone, Friday is a good day to bring it.

On the other hand, two weeks later and the European third round, it’s Ulster fans who are discovering the difficulty of away match travel for Friday KOs. Their supporters club only ordered 31 tickets from the club.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic