Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monty Ioane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monty Ioane
    Posted: 18 February 2018 at 4:03pm
What a signing he would be, i would be very happy getting him in a scarlet shirt
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 5:01pm
As you’ve started a thread about nice to haves, I’ll take your Monty Ioane and raise you Afa Amosa, the number 8 for La Rochelle who has just bundled his way over for their first try. It’s 19-5 for Racing at the mo.

Amosa’s girlfriend plays for La Rochelle women. Her family comes from a village very near our place in France. His contract is up this summer and from a longstanding close friend there, he is coming to the UK. He’s a powerful guy and an Aussie.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

What a signing he would be, i would be very happy getting him in a scarlet shirt

Spoke to him in treis really nice guy off after end of season. Would be a great signing and would not be expensive although his stock is rising.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 5:33pm
Pretty sure I saw him and Jonny Mc in long conversation after the Benetton match. Any connection ? Anyone know ? Certainly knows where the try line is, and would presumably be available all season.
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 6:00pm
Ioane - would be great - go get him - knows how to score tries (against the best ha) 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 6:09pm
Still not signed his renew...all' Treviso fans re praying ne stay...really good player
Realwest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 6:40pm
Please please please can we have him, thats the sort of player that we should be targeting
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 7:53pm
Ive thought this all season. He looks class. But, i am always weary about signing players that play well against us.

They sometimes then dont turn out to be that good signings...Will Scarlet anyone? lol.

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 8:16pm
He's an excellent player and would add to our back 3 in international periods.
However is it the best use of our resources to spend on a NWQ back 3 player who wouldn't get into our first choice team? 
If these last two weeks prove anything it's that we need NWQ of the highest quality and leadership standard.
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

As you’ve started a thread about nice to haves, I’ll take your Monty Ioane and raise you Afa Amosa, the number 8 for La Rochelle who has just bundled his way over for their first try. It’s 19-5 for Racing at the mo.

Amosa’s girlfriend plays for La Rochelle women. Her family comes from a village very near our place in France. His contract is up this summer and from a longstanding close friend there, he is coming to the UK. He’s a powerful guy and an Aussie.

I heard a few weeks ago that Amosa was joining us but was unsure of the reliability of the source. Interesting now you say he’s coming to the UK.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

I heard a few weeks ago that Amosa was joining us but was unsure of the reliability of the source. Interesting now you say he’s coming to the UK.

My post was just a tenuous link, really. Didn’t post it earlier, as it’s just total speculation.

Unless you have it on some greater authority, or if the women’s team say they’ve got a French women joining, I’d just smile and move on.

It’ll all turn out well in the end.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:11pm
EDIT RE ABOVE

The most tenuous of tenuous links combined with a bit of wishful thinking is probably a more accurate description.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:24pm
I've heard the same rumour. It was making the rounds before the Taufua rumour. I think this may be a more feasible  scenario than Taufua rumourin terms of the probable salary he would command, but it's still only a rumour.
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

My post was just a tenuous link, really. Didn’t post it earlier, as it’s just total speculation.

Unless you have it on some greater authority, or if the women’s team say they’ve got a French women joining, I’d just smile and move on.

It’ll all turn out well in the end.

A friend mentioned his name the day of the Toulon home game but I have not repeated it on here as it may only have been a rumour.
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:56pm
23 pages
Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 3:05am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Ive thought this all season. He looks class. But, i am always weary about signing players that play well against us.

They sometimes then dont turn out to be that good signings...Will Scarlet anyone? lol.

A good point in general, but I think it's rather different for forwards, especially if they are playing in a well coached pack.  The Ponty pack we took Will Scarlett from was well drilled to play the kind of rugby Ponty played [not the same as our style at all] and was all about the unit, not the individual.  It also relied heavily on 'Pontiness', a strong 'chip on shoulder, us against the world' sense of collective identity.  Their pack at that time was very impressive as a unit, but not one of the players was that great as an individual IMO and that may well explain why Will Scarlett was good against us and fairly poor for us.

Signing a winger who can score tries for fun in when playing in a side that largely relies on forward power and defense to win matches is pretty much the opposite of Signing Will Scarlett, I would say.  My only reservations would be that our defense out wide is not that good and it may not be the best use of an NWQ spot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic