Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moriarty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:27am
If we can afford to sign Moriarty while still retaining our current crop of back row players, it's a no-brainer for me.

He covers 6 & 8 and can bring something different to our squad, while at the same time I'm sure his skillset as a player will develop with our coaching.

We're carrying a few injuries in the back row this season, we were extremely lucky with the lack of injuries last season.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Sponsored Links

Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:50am
Think it would be a massive statement of intent by the scarlets to sign another current welsh international following Halfpenny last year, and the re-signing of foxy the previous year. We had years of loosing a quality players, the trend seems to have changed completely. Surely we would be his preferred destination out of the regions but he will essentially be a WRU if he is on a NDC. I just think a player of moriaty s quality should be playing in the champions cup.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:10am
I would prefer to reserve judgement on Moriarty until we understand the implications of the 20 players out of contract at the end of this season. I am pretty sure the vast majority of those 20 have now made the management aware of their positions. 

I still harbour doubts about Moriarty as our 8. He would be 2nd choice at 6 without doubt & I am yet to be convinced he is a natural 8. If we can afford to keep all the players in the 20 we want apart from Beirne & possibly a scrum half then yes on an NDC would give players like Barclay less game time. Situation with Condy will have a bearing of course. Alternatively Pivac is very keen so he sees where he fits our gameplan.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:57am
To be honest, the way Pivac is speaking about him to me shows we are pretty far along negotiations.
As long as we can keep everyone we want to keep (Beirne aside) then great...Barclay is a must keep.
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

To be honest, the way Pivac is speaking about him to me shows we are pretty far along negotiations.
As long as we can keep everyone we want to keep (Beirne aside) then great...Barclay is a must keep.

Very much this.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

he is a quality player, but with macloed boyde cubby shingle and Barclay the backrow is quite blessed as it is. I think macloed and boyde will develop even more so would it be wise to stunt their development by bringing in another player. I know moriarty is quality and would boost us greatly, but with our limited funs would it be worth looking at putting that money into replacing beirne?

7 games into the season and we already are without Cubby (mid-long term) and Barclay, with Boyde just coming back. Truth is, we were lucky last year with injuries and we need as many top players as we can afford.  I feel we can get away with a player like Rawlins or Tom Price at 5 (not forgetting Bullbring, who has been very good this season) but backrow is key to the way we play.

6 Shingler/Moriarty
7 Cubby/Barclay/Boyde
8 Moriarty/McLeod/Barclay

Only two out of those 6 players would miss out of the 23, and that's assuming no injuries. Moriarty would be on a NDC also, which would limit his appearances.

McLeod will turn 21 in a week also. Plenty of time to develop.

Yes, injuries need to be catered for. A couple of years ago I think I read that on average, 23% of your players are out injured - and I expect it is getting worse. Pivac and the Board's job is to plan for this.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 2:39am
Moriarty would have excelled in those conditions tonight....
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 2:53pm
Just had a word from a friend close to Gloucester and apparently the WRU have offered Ross two different NDCs. One for the Dragons and one for the Scarlets BUT the offer is a lot more if he goes to the Dragons. Poor show if that is the case as it's not considering what is best for the player.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Just had a word from a friend close to Gloucester and apparently the WRU have offered Ross two different NDCs. One for the Dragons and one for the Scarlets BUT the offer is a lot more if he goes to the Dragons. Poor show if that is the case as it's not considering what is best for the player.

Self interest on the part of the WRU. Not in the best interest of Welsh rugby.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

If that is true then the Scarlets management need to make their feelings known at the highest level. This type of business goes against everything which regional rugby is about. 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:35pm
But the Drags one would be alot more because it would be a NDC and the Drags contribution. For us it would just be the NDC. Our contract would be separate. Or would it?

We're going to pay Moriarty alot ourselves so one really wouldnt expect the Drags (=WRU) to pay alot more than us before the NDC. But it is certainly wrong and against various contract laws that the WRU might have information as to what we are bidding when they (=Drags) also are bidding. I'm currently tendering for some business and I would love to know what the opposition is tendering- as they no doubt would love to know what I am doing. 
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

But the Drags one would be alot more because it would be a NDC and the Drags contribution. For us it would just be the NDC. Our contract would be separate. Or would it?

We're going to pay Moriarty alot ourselves so one really wouldnt expect the Drags (=WRU) to pay alot more than us before the NDC. But it is certainly wrong and against various contract laws that the WRU might have information as to what we are bidding when they (=Drags) also are bidding. I'm currently tendering for some business and I would love to know what the opposition is tendering- as they no doubt would love to know what I am doing. 

The NDC has to be 60:40, which is where Scott's NDC fell apart when the Ospreys played silly sods. Or at lease that is how i percieved it.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Don't think it works like that. WRU negotiate the full contract & the region agree to pay 40%. I cannot see that what has been reported i.e. WRU offering Moriarty two separate NDC's depending on which region he joins would be allowable within the regional game. I fully understand that the Dragons are less attractive to returning Wales players but that is not the fault of the Scarlets. This suggests that the WRU are hell bent on attempting to level out the -playing strengths of all regions instead of allowing excellence to flourish.

All regions should have the same WRU funding & they cannot show bias to any region regardless of ownership. I think it is probably time that NDC's were scrapped and the central monies saved put back into the equally shared pot. Regions must stand or fall by the quality of their management.
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:27pm
Don’t know how deep our pockets go, but we really need to sign someone like Moriarty if we truly are to progress as Pivac would like us to. There’s absolutely no point what so ever in Moriarty going to the Dragons. He’d just be another Faletau. An outstanding player in a poor side. He’d learn absolutely nothing and probably go backwards in his career.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:32pm
Agree that current model of NDCs needs an overhaul, but they're probably still necessary in some form in order to retain and return players under the latest SPSP. The whole RSA needs replacing, but not sure how long that might take.

I can see why WRU Gwent want to land a big fish - it would be the keystone to enable Dragons to be a credible outfit, in terms of playing personnel, anyway. It's so chicken & egg.

But if they are really brokering different packages for two supposedly otherwise identical NDCs, it's a huge conflict of interest, and something that PRW will find difficult to work with. It could end up with Scarlets and/or Moriarty walking away - he's already under pressure to come and play in Wales, but heaping the pressure on for him to also be the saviour of the Dragons might not be what he wants, and being undervalued by the best Scarlets offer could see him stick with Glaws or even entertain offers from elsewhere in England or France, and to hell with the Wales shirt. Risky.

In our favour, Pivac has been clear and consistent in his overtures - that might count for something with Ross.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:48pm
So we’re looking at a bidding war with ... with...with the sole employer is it ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic