Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moriarty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Drags have signed Rhodri W and Jarryd Sage,they have Bevington and Jordan W lined up, these are clear signs of funding and intent and upgrades on what they have. They have a clutch of decent youngsters too.

I'm just saying.

Bevington spends an awful lot of time injured and is a ropey scrummager. Jordan, for all his wonderful running and ball skills, has no appetite for defending. They're not particularly good signings.

If Moriarty decides to join them over us it'll be clear something fishy is going on. It would be inexplicable.

I think they are/would be great signings, Welsh, internationals, but unlikely to figure...The Drags have worked out that the best quick fix to their season is to put out a more competitive team that fall in the 6-8 league games during he AI's and 6N's. We figured this out 2 years ago...hence Parkes, McNichol, Asquith, Beirne, Prydie, Grabham, Collins, Bulbring, Price ...etc.

The Drags are, in essence, going for squad depth, and in doing so with decent acquisitions that wont break the budget.

The next step would be to land a big fish (in this case we are talking Moriarty)...they will have the means, and start off from the lowest playing budget.

Just saying guys, I think they will be much stronger oin 2018/19.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:28am
Totally agree with Wil's argument. The players mentioned will all be improvements on his existing squad. They don't all have to be starters in the first choice 23. Posters on here should show a little respect for what the WRU are trying to achieve. How would we have felt if years of bad management had taken our beloved team to the edge of going out of business, constant whipping boys etc. 

The Dragons project is a three year project. Jackman has been totally honest that he has a number of professionals in his squad who are not good enough for the pro 14. He has stated that he is looking to bring in 12-15 players who are. The WRU are determined not to waste the talent that exists in that part of Wales and also want to try to repatriate Welsh qualified players that are playing outside Wales. Rhodri is an excellent signing. When assessing Bevington & Jordan as potential additions look at our squad make up going to South Africa. Would they be in with a chance of making the 30 man touring party. Bevington against Rhys Fawcett? Jordan against Rhys Jones/Morgan Williams? I for one applaud what is going on & as long as it is done in a financially transparent way I see no downside.

As for Moriarty only he will know where he sees his future. I have no doubt that all interested teams will have put forward their pitch. A  Welsh region is going to be in pole position as I am sure he wants to play International rugby after this season. Good luck to all. He knows he is very welcome at the Scarlets as Wayne has been very honest. With the way the Welsh forwards were looking at handling the ball yesterday ( well the Scarlets players anyway) I would say we are favourites right now but I certainly would not be rubbishing the Dragons bid as they are going to be a very different proposition come 2018/2019/2020. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:34am
 Its the distribution of the cash that's the issue with regards the WRU and favouring the Dragons financially very dangerous grounds
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Totally agree with Wil's argument. The players mentioned will all be improvements on his existing squad. They don't all have to be starters in the first choice 23. Posters on here should show a little respect for what the WRU are trying to achieve. How would we have felt if years of bad management had taken our beloved team to the edge of going out of business, constant whipping boys etc. 

The Dragons project is a three year project. Jackman has been totally honest that he has a number of professionals in his squad who are not good enough for the pro 14. He has stated that he is looking to bring in 12-15 players who are. The WRU are determined not to waste the talent that exists in that part of Wales and also want to try to repatriate Welsh qualified players that are playing outside Wales. Rhodri is an excellent signing. When assessing Bevington & Jordan as potential additions look at our squad make up going to South Africa. Would they be in with a chance of making the 30 man touring party. Bevington against Rhys Fawcett? Jordan against Rhys Jones/Morgan Williams? I for one applaud what is going on & as long as it is done in a financially transparent way I see no downside.

As for Moriarty only he will know where he sees his future. I have no doubt that all interested teams will have put forward their pitch. A  Welsh region is going to be in pole position as I am sure he wants to play International rugby after this season. Good luck to all. He knows he is very welcome at the Scarlets as Wayne has been very honest. With the way the Welsh forwards were looking at handling the ball yesterday ( well the Scarlets players anyway) I would say we are favourites right now but I certainly would not be rubbishing the Dragons bid as they are going to be a very different proposition come 2018/2019/2020. 

How can posters show respect for an organisation that is depriving grass roots clubs of cash to fund the Dragons and then not publish the amount of money they will be pumping into the region. Why should one region get an advantage because they have been poorly run. We were poorly run for years despite that we have constantly produced local talent that has gone on to prosper at the highest level and meant we have been one of the two best regions since conception. The Dragons have produced very little during the professional era because it has been poorly run so now the answer is to reward failure and throw money at it.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 1:49pm
Agree with all that, but I genuinely don't think many have fully thought through how a centrally owned region will constantly challenge the conventional wisdom, fiscal appropriateness, player retention and recruitment, and the general sense of what is fair amongst the other privately run entities.

Sometimes I think of the WRU and the Drags in the guise of the Inland Revenue, trying to gather fair and just taxation whilst personally having their own 'Oligarch' scale' yacht moored up in Monaco.

It's never going to go un-noticed, and always be the bone of contention.

Edited by Wil Chips - 12 November 2017 at 1:50pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 1:57pm
[QUOTE=Wil Chips]Agree with all that, but I genuinely don't think many have fully thought through how a centrally owned region will constantly challenge the conventional wisdom, fiscal appropriateness, player retention and recruitment, and the general sense of what is fair amongst the other privately run entities.

Sometimes I think of the WRU and the Drags in the guise of the Inland Revenue, trying to gather fair and just taxation whilst personally having their own 'Oligarch' scale' yacht moored up in Monaco.

It's never going to go un-noticed, and always be the bone of contention.[/QUOT

I take your point Wil & Whys previous post. Only total transparency and financial equality that is seen by all to be equality will suffice and make this work.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:08pm
Has re-injured back apparently.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:39pm
I think we'd be foolish to put all our eggs in one basket and spend a lot on Moriarty. He really hasn't got the bulk to play the way he does for a length of time without accumulating injuries. He's the same size as Barclay but at least Barclay had the sense to know what was possible. I won't be concerned if that becomes the Dragon's problem.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:49pm
Moriarty is a really top player, with more scope to improve, but I agree with you, his primary attributes are abrasive carrying and an all round attritional game...that carries risks as well as rewards.

Hope he looks at these recent injures in context, they look to be 'collision' based in nature.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think we'd be foolish to put all our eggs in one basket and spend a lot on Moriarty. He really hasn't got the bulk to play the way he does for a length of time without accumulating injuries. He's the same size as Barclay but at least Barclay had the sense to know what was possible. I won't be concerned if that becomes the Dragon's problem.

Tend to agree with you on that Ffidel. Thats two NWQ forwards leaving & with Hadleighs conversion we should be able to build our squad with some forward power. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:56pm
rumours on site of nz/aussie forwards being signed?
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
The Brain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 8:12pm
There's rumours about rumours - Any names?

If you cannot bite, never show your teeth.
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:37am
Originally posted by The Brain The Brain wrote:

Mick Fleetwood to 2nd Row !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:57am

Wouldn't mind Dominic Bird
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:39am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

I heard that on the jungle drums.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:54am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Ha! After that remark you can go your own way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic