Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moriarty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by drags212 drags212 wrote:

Happy dragons fan here as it has been confirmed we have signed Ross. Their is a lot more work to do on the player front and I can't tell you how many players will leave, it will be double digits. To answer some questions which have been posted on here to the best of my knowledge. First of all our commercial revenue has gone up this season as was demonstrated via when our main sponsor signed up (Monmouthshire BS) it was in the article that it's the biggest deal in the history of the region, some commercial deals have either stayed par to last season's. Others have gone up. Buttress has "invested" in us and was quoted to saying other backers will be coming on the board by next season. The WRU have brought us up to spending the salary cap as we were so far below it. But for this deal I think it's being funded by buttress as you guys bid higher for him and he had to reply

If Buttress takes the Drags over and excludes the WRU then that would be the best solution for everyone, us included. It's fine for the WRU to own Dave Parade but ownership of the region has already caused alot of mudslinging, justified or not. And presumably, being a Pooler boy, he will drive forward the strengthening of connections and pathways throughout the region. Then the justified sniping over the number of internationals coming through the Dragons system will die down. Results, however, may take a year or two to come.
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:23pm
If they have enough money within the region to pay for Moriaty how can they be owned by WRU and surely they at huge advantage now being able to cherry pick top players while the WRU will pay for the rest of team.
I hope that the accounts of the Dragons will be available to all other clubs and regions who are members of the union so they can see how much money they are getting and where it is going.
Unless they do so there will surely be leaving themselves wide open to criticism and accusations of favouritism.   
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
drags212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drags212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Happy dragons fan here as it has been confirmed we have signed Ross. Their is a lot more work to do on the player front and I can't tell you how many players will leave, it will be double digits. To answer some questions which have been posted on here to the best of my knowledge. First of all our commercial revenue has gone up this season as was demonstrated via when our main sponsor signed up (Monmouthshire BS) it was in the article that it's the biggest deal in the history of the region, some commercial deals have either stayed par to last season's. Others have gone up. Buttress has "invested" in us and was quoted to saying other backers will be coming on the board by next season. The WRU have brought us up to spending the salary cap as we were so far below it. But for this deal I think it's being funded by buttress as you guys bid higher for him and he had to reply

If Buttress takes the Drags over and excludes the WRU then that would be the best solution for everyone, us included. It's fine for the WRU to own Dave Parade but ownership of the region has already caused alot of mudslinging, justified or not. And presumably, being a Pooler boy, he will drive forward the strengthening of connections and pathways throughout the region. Then the justified sniping over the number of internationals coming through the Dragons system will die down. Results, however, may take a year or two to come.
My personal view and i have said this all along that i think the WRU has taken us over to make the region stable from years of mismanagement and being under funded from our old board. I do think that one do Buttress with another investor will buy the wru's shares and they keep RP. How far off the mark i am on this i am not sure. I was very worried when the WRU first took over as i thought due to years of being the poor relation they would shut us down and that is that. The whole voting process was the lowest point of me being a fan and coming out of meetings with Newport RFC fans shouting and screaming at Phillips and Davies left me to believe their was no hope for the future and we were done and dusted. I am happy with the way things panned out so far, not sure what the WRU's future intentions are with us 
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 6:19pm
Lee Byrne was highly critical of the Dragons in his autobiography, and says they were especially unhelpful and neglectful when he was injured.
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 6:35pm

My personal view and i have said this all along that i think the WRU has taken us over to make the region stable from years of mismanagement and being under funded from our old board. I do think that one do Buttress with another investor will buy the wru's shares and they keep RP. How far off the mark i am on this i am not sure. I was very worried when the WRU first took over as i thought due to years of being the poor relation they would shut us down and that is that. The whole voting process was the lowest point of me being a fan and coming out of meetings with Newport RFC fans shouting and screaming at Phillips and Davies left me to believe their was no hope for the future and we were done and dusted. I am happy with the way things panned out so far, not sure what the WRU's future intentions are with us 

I genuinely hope the drags turn things around. As long as the WRU financial input is open and honest and the drags are not favoured by the WRU bigwigs, then it can be only a positive for Welsh rugby. Best thing you did was drop the Newport from the name and now try to embrace the region. Jackman looks solid, despite some horror results for you guys so far this year. Moriarty is an excellent start, hopefully he remains fit and you get value for your money. Some other big signings would be a big statement of intent. It's up to the Scarlets then to match or try to better.
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Moriarty to Dragons confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42135286

Now they only need 10 more decent players. Pob Lwc.

Good luck to him. Hope he develops over the next couple of years into a player good enough to play for us.
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 7:26pm
Why are we wasting our time on this topic now?

It should be closed down now, he has decided in his wisdom to join the Dragons good luck to him.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 8:35pm

The WRU should invite Buttress to take control asap- but when did the WRU ever do the right thing? 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 9:17am
Yes this topic is done & dusted. My overriding feeling now that the Moriarty saga is finished for two years at least is that we have dodged a bullet. In a couple of years hindsight will prove whether I am right or wrong. 
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 9:25am
I would say it's pretty obvious what's happened here.

Ross was offered a NDC, under which he would have opted to join the Scarlets. Dragons came in with a higher offer so he rejected the NDC and we refused to match it.

I think we could be here all day discussing the morals and merits of the signing. The question for us is whether he would have been worth a £300k + a year contract.

Given his availability, injury concerns and in my opinion doubts about whether he could play the type of rugby we employ, I don't think it would have been vfm. My view however may change depending on who we do spend our money on this summer.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 9:46am
If the consequence of signing Mortiarty had been less game time for Boyde and Mcleod or our young prospect, so good luck to the Dragons...and the same i think for North or anyone isn t totally  convinced by Scarlets project..In the last years we lost many young talents that dont find game time...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 9:52am
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

I would say it's pretty obvious what's happened here.

Ross was offered a NDC, under which he would have opted to join the Scarlets. Dragons came in with a higher offer so he rejected the NDC and we refused to match it.

I think we could be here all day discussing the morals and merits of the signing. The question for us is whether he would have been worth a £300k + a year contract.

Given his availability, injury concerns and in my opinion doubts about whether he could play the type of rugby we employ, I don't think it would have been vfm. My view however may change depending on who we do spend our money on this summer.

Spot on summary Dan. My biggest concern now is the list of 3 quality players earmarked to replace Barclay. I may be splitting hairs here but I don't want us to be looking for a direct replacement for John - albeit an almost impossible task. I think we have as near as we need on our books already, someone who has learnt from the master - Josh Mcloud. I want a tackle breaking 8 - my ideal Falatau. If we get anyone near his ability I will be a very happy man. Someone near his ability & available all year - sorted. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
  Share Topic