Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mr Barnes Sir

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreyScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 5:08pm
At EVERY kick off that we had, our favourite English winger deliberately ran infield to impede our chasers, actually lining them up. No comment from AR at any time.
Virtually perfect rugby - 1992/93
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I don't think it was the calls he made that were frustrating, he probably got 90% of these correct, it was what he missed from Toulon that was frustrating. They were constantly offside, off their feet, not releasing, coming in at the side. There was a differing level off harshness applied to each side in my opinion.

I tend to agree - he was not as bad as I thought at the time, and being able to hear his reasoning on the link helped (thanks, Minded!)... but he and his assistants missed an awful lot. Someone pointed out to me that it was the ARs who should have been calling offsides and squint lineouts - fair enough, I know that - but the officials are meant to work as a team, and Barnes is the main man, so has to take ultimate responsibility. I don't recall ANY calls from the ARs all night (there may have been one or two, but very few) - they seemed content to run up and down, and stick their flags up for touch or kicks at goal. Barnes should have demanded that they help him more with the offsides, because they sure as hell weren't paying attention!

I also agree that Barnes did not seem to ref both sides the same way - the Shingler penalty was pretty harsh, when nothing was done to Toulon players doing the same thing.

BTW - didn't anyone else think their 13 should have been penalised for a no-arms tackle when he smashed Scott (I think) with his shoulder? The game was played on, for some reason - OK, I know Scott stayed on his feet and carried on, but still...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

You and 10k other supporters Fscarlet.
To be fair he was pretty fast along that wing for an oldie  ! but thankfully no splash dive from him.  He was just relieved not to mess it up Embarrassed

Johnny Mac would have caught him up..our only true speed merchantThumbs Up

I was quite surprised that Asquith was the one who got to him for the ankle tap - he's not reputed to be one of our fastest players - is he quick, then, or did he have less distance to cover?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

This one again - Barnes pings Patchell for holding on. Totally ignores the Toulon player off his feet, impeding Patchell

After watching the whole game again he got most of the decisions right. This was the only one I really had an issue with. Dumbfounded as to why we didn't get a penalty for this.

Ah yes the upside down jackal got me going.

This was a really baffling one... if he'd blown up IMMEDIATELY, he might just have had a point, because for a split second it looked as if their 13 was legal - but their 13 was almost instantly pulled off his feet, was allowed to jackal while standing on his head, and only a few seconds later dod Barnes blow up. What was he thinking?

If the shirts were reversed, I'd want the holding on penalty 100%. I think Patchell probably is committing the offence of holding on before the 13 falls over. It is a bit of a mess though!

Edited by dr_martinov - 22 January 2018 at 5:32pm
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 7:00pm
I thought he was inconsistent. Seemed to ref both teams differently.
We were penalised for off side. Toulon defensive line lives offside.
He seemed to not wan to give a turnover penalty. Funny v Nonu I’m sure you can count to 5, the Beirne turnover under the posts I’m sure was even longer. As soon as toulon went for a turnover it was blown up almost instantly. In my opinion he gave toulon MUCH longer on the floor.
Then there’s the radrada turnover...is it now legal to turn the ball over if your legs are in the air!?
There’s quite a number of decisions that IMO were completely wrong and those decisions kept toulon in the game.

Anyways, we did well. Did the job. A performance full of character to get back in front, never let our heads drop, and defended magnificently.
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 11:28pm
Not seen the game back, but im sure there was an incident just after half time, Toulon dropped the ball in midfield and we picked it up then chipped through toward the [beep]h stand, non as last line of defense tapped the ball into touch....isnt this a penalty/ yellow as last line of defence???

Edited by gnasher1975 - 22 January 2018 at 11:28pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:42am
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

Not seen the game back, but im sure there was an incident just after half time, Toulon dropped the ball in midfield and we picked it up then chipped through toward the [beep]h stand, non as last line of defense tapped the ball into touch....isnt this a penalty/ yellow as last line of defence???

Yes - Nonu did it with his hand - sort of 'accidentally on purpose'  - a more clued up AR would have drawn Barnes's attention to that for a penalty, but the ARs seemed pretty much spectators on the night - the exact opposite of some who always stick their oars in! Can't we have a happy medium?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic