Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Munster v Scarlets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by mammamammon mammamammon wrote:

Full game here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYOvsvjNiU

Thanks so much - link fixed.

I really need a pick-me-up after that dreadful Wales performance today, with more ultra-mysterious 'use' of the bench.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Bloody brilliant!

Probably the most frustrating game I can remember, because
1. it wan't on TV
2. Tried and failed to stream
3. Downloadeed Chrome and tried and failed to get a VPN to by-pass geographical restriction...
and as if that wasn't enough, all this downloading (presumably_ buggered up my Scarlet Fever link so that I kept getting 'error 503 - unavailable' instead of the latest news/score! Had to google it every time and even that only worked once in 2 or 3 goes...

Never mind. 

I'll sleep happily tonight!

1. If you have Chrome, download and install the Hola Unlimited Free VPN Plugin.
2. From the browser, navigate to the TG4 player Website, and if the Hola VPN Plugin doesn't pop up asking you what country you are in, there will be a Hola icon displayed at the top right-hand corner of the browser. Click on that, select Ireland as your country, and then you are away! Clap

Might be worth you having a practice to get it working before a game on TG4, but it does work a treat. No different to watching Scrum V on the BBC Website Clap
Scarlets!!!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

missed the game tonight,any stand out displays? fair play to tom Williams,taking his chance well,on the wing.
Tom still very mistake prone - loses the ball in contact and slightly shakey in defence. Iron these deficiencies out and we'll have a very good winger on our hands.
Wyn Jones had a good game I thought, held them up short of the line and won a key scrum penalty.
Beirne top quality as usual. Cubby a few key turnovers.
Aled was great when he came on, Dan Jones was great also kicked well (did miss his first placekick of the season) but also used some great hands to get outside of up rushing Munster defenders, most noticeably for Tom's try.

When our forwards give our back good ball, last night was a perfect example of what we can do! ClapClapClapClap

That aside, we now have a pack that can compete with the best, evidently! ClapClapClapClap
Scarlets!!!
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 12:48am
The million dollar question is: why do Scarlets often do BETTER during international periods than outside them, in sharp contrast to Ospreys, Glasgow, Saracens etc?  With all due respect, had this match been with full strength sides for both teams I really doubt the result would have been the same.
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 12:54am
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

The million dollar question is: why do Scarlets often do BETTER during international periods than outside them, in sharp contrast to Ospreys, Glasgow, Saracens etc?  With all due respect, had this match been with full strength sides for both teams I really doubt the result would have been the same.

Our squad depth is better. Maybe other sides lose excellent key players they can't replace, we lose excellent players we can replace.
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 1:00am

Our squad depth is better. Maybe other sides lose excellent key players they can't replace, we lose excellent players we can replace.

Ironically, many of the criticisms levelled at the Welsh national team revolve around lack of strength-in-depth.  Maybe a lot more Scarlets players should get a look in then?  Anyway, the point is that the Scarlets lose MORE matches with their main internationals than without them, whereas for most teams it is very much the other way round.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 2:00am

Ironically, many of the criticisms levelled at the Welsh national team revolve around lack of strength-in-depth.  Maybe a lot more Scarlets players should get a look in then?  Anyway, the point is that the Scarlets lose MORE matches with their main internationals than without them, whereas for most teams it is very much the other way round.

Logically I don't think that makes sense. 6 teams are still going to win and 6 are going to lose despite most teams releasing players. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 2:19am
We have players of genuine international quality when our intls are away to step in.
Kruger, Elias Beirne Shingler Cubby Boyde Aled/ Johnny, Hadleigh DTH and Johnny Mcnicoll are all capable of doing a job at higher level in my view.
Others not far behind Wyn Jones been fantastic for us this season,Stef Hughes has been outstanding last month or so Tom Price really come on this year.
It is also evident that there is great team spirit and seemingly faith in the coaches. Long may it continue.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 6:42am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Logically I don't think that makes sense. 6 teams are still going to win and 6 are going to lose despite most teams releasing players. 

Excellent logic!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 7:24am
Having at last been able to watch the whole game:

The Match: The score would make anyone think it was 'a tale of two halves', but in reality Scarlets never deserved to turn around 21-6 down, as even the mildly biased Irish commentator admitted. The team competed well in the first half, and apart from what they 'deserved' in those terms, the third try followed a clear knock on near halfway, missed by all the officials. The second try followed an 'iffy' pass - I'd say it was marginally forward, but it was a close call, so not too critical of TMO on that one.
Second half was dominated by the Scarlets, except for most of the last 10 min. We kept Munster on the defence nearly all the time, and ripped them apart in a 7 min spell - superb. Aled and Jonny Mac were absolutely key in most plays, with Jonny getting back to dab down a couple of very dangerous kicks through. DTH was ferocious at the breakdown, and won at least one crucial turnover near our line. Dan was super steady, apart from one pen miss to touch - and one missed goal kick! Cubby doing his usual Duracell bunny impersonation - popping up everywhere. Scrums good all match; line-out good apart from a brief shaky period second half.

The crowd: incredibly biased, in true Munster fashion. They don't seem to know it's a contact sport, and were demanding penalties every time one of theirs got tackled! Really silly, and rather pathetic. I like to think that at the Parc, we only call the ref out when there is at least a likelihood of an offence or mistake, not for the whole 80 min! The pen against Jonny Mac was down to the crowd screaming - very little in it at all, just lifted the guy's leg at the ruck to clear him out. 

The officials: Not bad at all, overall. They missed some things for both sides - certainly, the knock on before Munster's third try... I also reckon that Conway (?) smashed Cubby's head with his shoulder second half, but he got away with it. High, no arm tackle, IMO. But we got a soft penalty - the one Dan missed - when their back rower was on his feet for the jackal. That one should have gone to them. So I reckon, not too many errors, and they more or less cancelled out apart from their try.

The commentator: A bit incompetent - mis-identified our wingers throughout - I know they seem to have swapped shirts/positions, but he should surely have been able to recognise DTH? Said our first pen was for offside, when it was clearly (with added ref indication) for a deliberate knock on. Several other errors of that type. Mildly biased: "Munster won't like that (decision)" sort of comments... but not in a bulging-eyed way as you get with some, so not too annoying.

Great win. Roll on, Leinster!

Edited by aber-fan - 26 February 2017 at 7:27am
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 10:32am

The Match: The score would make anyone think it was 'a tale of two halves', but in reality Scarlets never deserved to turn around 21-6 down, as even the mildly biased Irish commentator admitted. The team competed well in the first half, and apart from what they 'deserved' in those terms, the third try followed a clear knock on near halfway, missed by all the officials. The second try followed an 'iffy' pass - I'd say it was marginally forward, but it was a close call, so not too critical of TMO on that one.
Second half was dominated by the Scarlets, except for most of the last 10 min. We kept Munster on the defence nearly all the time, and ripped them apart in a 7 min spell - superb. Aled and Jonny Mac were absolutely key in most plays, with Jonny getting back to dab down a couple of very dangerous kicks through. DTH was ferocious at the breakdown, and won at least one crucial turnover near our line. Dan was super steady, apart from one pen miss to touch - and one missed goal kick! Cubby doing his usual Duracell bunny impersonation - popping up everywhere. Scrums good all match; line-out good apart from a brief shaky period second half.

The crowd: incredibly biased, in true Munster fashion. They don't seem to know it's a contact sport, and were demanding penalties every time one of theirs got tackled! Really silly, and rather pathetic. I like to think that at the Parc, we only call the ref out when there is at least a likelihood of an offence or mistake, not for the whole 80 min! The pen against Jonny Mac was down to the crowd screaming - very little in it at all, just lifted the guy's leg at the ruck to clear him out. 

The officials: Not bad at all, overall. They missed some things for both sides - certainly, the knock on before Munster's third try... I also reckon that Conway (?) smashed Cubby's head with his shoulder second half, but he got away with it. High, no arm tackle, IMO. But we got a soft penalty - the one Dan missed - when their back rower was on his feet for the jackal. That one should have gone to them. So I reckon, not too many errors, and they more or less cancelled out apart from their try.

The commentator: A bit incompetent - mis-identified our wingers throughout - I know they seem to have swapped shirts/positions, but he should surely have been able to recognise DTH? Said our first pen was for offside, when it was clearly (with added ref indication) for a deliberate knock on. Several other errors of that type. Mildly biased: "Munster won't like that (decision)" sort of comments... but not in a bulging-eyed way as you get with some, so not too annoying.

Don't know if they were the same, but the ones in my feed kept calling Steff Hugues Steff Evans and claiming he was out top try scorer this season but Munster was keeping him quiet.

Best bit though is the telling silence when reviewing their try, they couldn't bring themselves tyo talk about a possible forward pass. And the camera angle from above that didn't appear for their try but was the first available form Tom Williams try.

Edited by Exkixu - 26 February 2017 at 10:32am
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Don't know if they were the same, but the ones in my feed kept calling Steff Hugues Steff Evans and claiming he was out top try scorer this season but Munster was keeping him quiet.

Best bit though is the telling silence when reviewing their try, they couldn't bring themselves tyo talk about a possible forward pass. And the camera angle from above that didn't appear for their try but was the first available form Tom Williams try.

Yes, that's the one! I remember him saying that, now you mention it.

As for the camera angles for the TMO - I have been moaning for several years about the incredible hand-in-glove bias which clearly exists between Irish (including Ulster) TV people and their regions. They can always find an angle which favours them - and did you notice the EXTREME CLOSE UP they created to try and prove they had scored a try late on? The ball remained invisible despite their best efforts, however!LOL

There have been so many disgraceful examples of this that I can't remember them all, but the failure to find the angle showing thug Nick Williams KO'ing one of our back row (Barclay?) a season or two back was among the worst... even though after the match was over, the clip was widely shown so it did exist!
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 6:26pm

Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Yes, that's the one! I remember him saying that, now you mention it.

As for the camera angles for the TMO - I have been moaning for several years about the incredible hand-in-glove bias which clearly exists between Irish (including Ulster) TV people and their regions. They can always find an angle which favours them - and did you notice the EXTREME CLOSE UP they created to try and prove they had scored a try late on? The ball remained invisible despite their best efforts, however!LOL

There have been so many disgraceful examples of this that I can't remember them all, but the failure to find the angle showing thug Nick Williams KO'ing one of our back row (Barclay?) a season or two back was among the worst... even though after the match was over, the clip was widely shown so it did exist!

This issue has long destroyed the integrity of the league imo.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 8:24am
Os also tend to do well during international periods. Glasgow lose their whole team to Scotland so not a suitable comparison. But I'm sorry to say that over the years it seems to me that Wales must encourage, or at least allow, their players to use Pro 12 matches as fitness sessions. Not all do but generally Wales players don't stand out for any region in Pro 12 matches in the way Ireland or Scotland players do. Eddie Jones told the England players they'd not be picked if not playing really well for their clubs and by all accounts that had made a big difference.
Foolish of Wales as players need to be used to playing at intensity plus winning regions bring in more fans etc
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Os also tend to do well during international periods.

They certainly didn't last season...

Quote Glasgow lose their whole team to Scotland so not a suitable comparison.

An exaggeration but I get your point.

Quote But I'm sorry to say that over the years it seems to me that Wales must encourage, or at least allow, their players to use Pro 12 matches as fitness sessions. Not all do but generally Wales players don't stand out for any region in Pro 12 matches in the way Ireland or Scotland players do.

What are you referring to here? If you mean success in the HC, then only the Irish players can claim that over the years, not the other two.

Quote Eddie Jones told the England players they'd not be picked if not playing really well for their clubs and by all accounts that had made a big difference.

He is a good coach for sure, but based on that statement he would not pick Ben Youngs for example, who has been part and parcel of an underachieving Tigers side this season.  The England squad is also full of Harlequins players, despite the fact that they are usually a mid-to-low ranking side in the Premiership, and this season didn't even make it out of the group stage of the Challenge Cup!

Quote Foolish of Wales as players need to be used to playing at intensity plus winning regions bring in more fans etc

Of course, but that is a very long-term problem with no simple answers.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 5:34pm
I've not checked but I'm sure you're right about Os - but in my mind they always fair well in international periods. My mind could be at fault for sure!

I think if you look at the relative success of Glasgow and the Irish provinces over the past few years it supports the view that their internationals 'go for it' when they play in Pro 12 games - and that is what I see when I am watching games. I must admit that I wrote my post still a bit head-sore from the day before (emotionally and physically) and I may have exaggerated how I feel now but certainly prior to the change in Euro qualification I often felt that a number of Welsh players did not play for the regions in any way like they did for the national side and seemingly used those games mainly as a way of keeping fit and fairly sharp for the international matches - even now the selection policy of Howley (and Gats last year as well as before) basically says to players that form for your regions is not going to be that significant in terms of who we pick. So Jonathan Davies can't get in our team as he's not playing well and yet he plays while Ashley Beck is nowhere to be seen + Stef holds the tackle bags for team Wales while Cuthbert plays etc etc.

As for England, last year Jones publicly stated they would need to play really well for the club teams to be selected by him and people like Billy V said this had had a big effect on the players and had a knock-on positive effect of their clubs as well. So maybe this year Jones is less living by that (how often to we forget why things were going well! - maybe he needs to remember that as they've been a shadow of the team who played Australia in the summer) but I'm not so sure he's totally forgotten it as, e.g. Tom Wood got back in because he showed week in week out for his clubs what he can do.

There is a simple answer re intensity surely - the Welsh regions need to try their best to replicate test match intensity in all Pro 12 and Champions Cup matches and players need to know that selection for Wales will to a significant extent be based on their form for their regions. That will not only help the regions but will help Wales. There is a reason we seem to always start badly in Autumn internationals and Six Nations and Gats says it is because the regions are not playing high intensity rugby in the Pro 12 - well let's do it then! Even if playing a side not playing like that it does not stop you when you have the ball) playing at that level of pace and intensity.

As for Glasgow they have 16 players in the Scottish Six Nations squad (and Peter Horne would also have been if he wasn't injured I'm sure)so that's got to count as losing their whole team for the purposes of a message board surely
Alex Allan (Glasgow Warriors)
Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors)
Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors)
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors)
Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors)
Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)
Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors)
Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)