Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nature versus nurture in Welsh rugby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nature versus nurture in Welsh rugby
    Posted: 21 August 2017 at 11:00pm
When discussing the long-term problems in Welsh rugby, there are two broad camps:

Nature camp
Those who argue that Wales doesn't produce much talent in the first place, in part due to the relatively small population and playing base.  Thus, regardless of who manages the regions and national team, they will be hamstrung by what are quite average players compared to those from e.g. New Zealand, South Africa and England.

Nurture camp
Those who argue that Wales does produce a lot of talent, but that it isn't properly managed, developed and harnessed.  The structures of Welsh rugby are said to be outmoded and shoddy, regardless of how talented, skilled and enthusiastic the players may be.

By and large, I increasingly adhere to the latter than the former camp.  Consider the following:
- In the season just gone, for the first time two Welsh regions made the Pro 12 semis, one of which eventually won the league with record scores and a pretty young squad.
- Also this year, Wales U18s beat both South Africa Schools and England U18s in South Africa.
- Last year, Wales U20s won the Six Nations Grand Slam, with Scarlets' very own Tom Phillips as captain.
- In 2012, Wales U20s came third in the Junior World Championship, being the first ever team to beat New Zealand in that tournament.
- In 2013, Wales U20s came second in the Junior World Championship, beating South Africa on the way, with a certain Sam Davies as fly-half who was voted Junior World Player of the Year.

Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 6:36am
another pointless thread
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

another pointless thread

Totally agree Nige. Sometimes freedom of speech laws can be very trying!!!!!
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

another pointless thread

Totally agree Nige. Sometimes freedom of speech laws can be very trying!!!!!

It might keep naughty children off the streets at night. Then again ....
I've seen the truth ... and I don't understand it!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 2:07pm
I am surprised Ladram as I would have thought this was typical of your top of the roof deep and meaningful discussions   whilst munching a buttie high in the sky amongst the Tiles at tea break time 😉
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic