Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

What on earth is it with this club and the obsession with bringing back ex players..

I’ve seen Peel and King both mentioned now and whilst both have been superb players, both has achieved exactly zilch coaching wise (so far).

If they weren’t ex Scarlets and people suggested bringing back an Ulster attack coach who presided over a thoroughly average backline who had 5 teams score more league tries than them, or a centre from Neath playing semi pro rugby with no coaching experience they’d be laughed off this forum.

Well Stevo had no experience before Wasps contracted him as an assistant coach and nobody laughed at them at the time (not that I can remeber anyway). People have mentioned quite a few times on here that understanding the culture of the club would be a positive and while the coaching credentials of both Peel and King could be questioned (as could have Stevo’s at the time he got his first coaching role at Wasps) they would certainly have the culture angle covered.
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Stevo to move up, with Raygun King as attack coach returning from neef. Thats my choice.
Regan King isn’t qualified for the role
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:48pm

What on earth is it with this club and the obsession with bringing back ex players..

I’ve seen Peel and King both mentioned now and whilst both have been superb players, both has achieved exactly zilch coaching wise (so far).

If they weren’t ex Scarlets and people suggested bringing back an Ulster attack coach who presided over a thoroughly average backline who had 5 teams score more league tries than them, or a centre from Neath playing semi pro rugby with no coaching experience they’d be laughed off this forum.
I think you are absolutely spot on here. We see it time and time again in pro sport where top players get rushed into a big job amid much fanfare and it turns out to be a disaster. The current board realise this though and have a lot more money to spend than in the past. I think Stephen is one of the best attack coaches in Europe but being a head coach today entails a lot more than coaching. He will have to deal with the press on a weekly basis, will have to deal with recruitment and leaving players go etc. He’s capable but it’s whether he wants all that

Edited by scarletnut - 14 July 2018 at 3:50pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by LacksDrive LacksDrive wrote:

Well Stevo had no experience before Wasps contracted him as an assistant coach and nobody laughed at them at the time (not that I can remeber anyway). People have mentioned quite a few times on here that understanding the culture of the club would be a positive and while the coaching credentials of both Peel and King could be questioned (as could have Stevo’s at the time he got his first coaching role at Wasps) they would certainly have the culture angle covered.
That was Wasps’ risk to take, not ours. He was also under one of the most settled, hardworking and experienced head coaches in the league at the time in Dai Young. Aside from Pivac, I don’t think any of our coaches has been in a professional coaching role for more than 5/6 years ?
How can you say Peel knows the culture of the club? He didn’t even play at PYS as a Scarlet. We’ve had 4 different head coaches since he left. I’m just saying it’s a lazy suggestion.
If in two/three years he’s proved himself at Ulster I’d welcome him back straight away.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I think you are absolutely spot on here. We see it time and time again in pro sport where top players get rushed into a big job amid much fanfare and it turns out to be a disaster. The current board realise this though and have a lot more money to spend than in the past. I think Stephen is one of the best attack coaches in Europe but being a head coach today entails a lot more than coaching. He will have to deal with the press on a weekly basis, will have to deal with recruitment and leaving players go etc. He’s capable but it’s whether he wants all that
Agree completely. I’d love to see Scott Robertson, Aaron Mauger or Glenn Delaney come here, even if Stephen is staying. Would give Stephen a few more years under another top quality head coach to learn and grow.
LacksDrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:42pm

Originally posted by LacksDrive LacksDrive wrote:

That was Wasps’ risk to take, not ours. He was also under one of the most settled, hardworking and experienced head coaches in the league at the time in Dai Young. Aside from Pivac, I don’t think any of our coaches has been in a professional coaching role for more than 5/6 years ?
How can you say Peel knows the culture of the club? He didn’t even play at PYS as a Scarlet. We’ve had 4 different head coaches since he left. I’m just saying it’s a lazy suggestion.
If in two/three years he’s proved himself at Ulster I’d welcome him back straight away.

In fairness I was merely playing devils advocate as I had never suggested Peel and simply responded to another user that it would be nice to have King back at the club.

As I’ve stated previously (either in this thread or the other one about Pivac getting the Wales job) I personally think that the Scarlets should go all out to get Robertson.
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 6:10pm
How about Emyr Phillips as head coach?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by rygbi11 rygbi11 wrote:

He’s got zero experience...
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I am not convinced by Peel, I would want to see him tested somewhere other than a troubled Ulster 1st.
but you’d take king who’s not coached Neath yet in Div1!? Stoddart has shown more as a coach than king. Got cross keys playing lovely stuff.

I think we will see peel back here at some point, don’t think it will be now. I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever gets the top job will bring in someone too...Wayne brought in Byron and Stevo.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 8:23pm
Gut feeling it's an ex colleague of Wayne coming to us with similar pedigree. Thus has been planned. Either as head coach or mentor with Steve as head coach. Hopefully Byron and loan staying
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:34am
My thoughts only...

I feel a little for the Scarlets here.

They’ve just effectively contributed a succession plan to an organisation that has had the same guy in charge for 11 years, and in turn he has had the same back up team for most of that time...none of which were even worthy as a mention as a successor. Poor drills by Team Wales.

Unfortunately Steve and Pivac are the perfect combo...Steve is the better coach in the purest sense of the word, Pivac one of the best leaders of a group I’ve met. Steve is not a natural in front of the media, sponsors etc, Pivac is a consummate pro in those arenas and so on...

So not only do we provide a solution to a flat structure, we also lose our natural successor to Pivac in Steve ( 2 or 3 more years under Pivac and Steve would be ideal leadership material). The only reason I can think why Steve’s not been confirmed as Wales 2IC was the question about what to do with Sean Edwards.

I hope we look at emerging talent in the same way as we did with Steve, Byron and Ioan. I’m a huge fan of Gregor Townsend ( not suggesting his candidacy by the way), fresh ideas, a student of the game, with some real ground breaking techniques in leadership combined with great advocacy skills. Then combine that talent with the model of bringing in an experienced coschimg vet to head up the structure for 2 to 3 years.
To me we are looking to replace both, not just Pivac.

I would also lock in Hayward and Cunningham, and move quickly to replace Mark Taylor.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by rygbi11 rygbi11 wrote:

He’s got zero experience...
You're feeding the trolls Steff!
We're still still here!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:16am
It would be in the best interests of the Scarlets if Stevo's situation was sorted quickly. He is an intelligent enough guy to know if he wants to put himself into the front man limelight - dealing with media, sponsors agents etc. If he has ambitions to become a head coach then, at some stage, he will need to be comfortable with those duties. For me the less disruption we face the better - if he wants the job I would confirm him immediately. His first task would be to appoint a new attack/skills coach. 

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 10:26am
I would go for a current NZ Super Rugby Head Coach for two reasons:

1. Like most kiwi players the coaches are also exceptional and the style of rugby suits us.

2. Contacts- Without Pivac we wouldnt have signed Parkes, without them here we might not have signed McNicholl, Collins wouldnt have come to us. Would Thomson? would Fonotia have come if is his mate wasnt with us. Take Parkes, McNicholl, Thomson and Fonotia out of our squad for next season and we would lose a huge amount of quality, players who lead by example. We have to maintain that NZ connection which assists us in recruitment. Without that we're just a medium sized fish in a huge pond and we'd be back to signing mediocre players that Toulon, Saracens etc. etc. didnt want.

I would rather we be a player short in the squad and that money be diverted to secure a kiwi head coach because to have four kiwi's in our squad just boosts the quality of our our home grown boys. Look at the impact Reggie had here, 1 cap! Parkes was a run of the mill Super Rugby player who now is one of the first names on the Wales teamsheet. The gulf in standards is still there unfortunatley. If we couldnt get a current Super coach I'd go for someone like Blackadder who despite not being a success at Bath is still a high quality kiwi coach who would keep that NZ connection going. Nice guy as well who applauded us post match in Bath. If we maintain our status in New Zealand as an attractive region for players to make the the trip north to, we will continue to prosper. Its not the only factor in our revival, but its a hugely significant one.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:07am
I’d go with the NZ developed coach, but with the right people skills, with an emerging Welsh coach in tow.

The likes of Hansen and Gats aren’t what I’d have in mind it’s fair to say., so just being from NZ and experienced isn’t enough, both grumpy and truculent with the media.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

I would go for a current NZ Super Rugby Head Coach for two reasons:

1. Like most kiwi players the coaches are also exceptional and the style of rugby suits us.

2. Contacts- Without Pivac we wouldnt have signed Parkes, without them here we might not have signed McNicholl, Collins wouldnt have come to us. Would Thomson? would Fonotia have come if is his mate wasnt with us. Take Parkes, McNicholl, Thomson and Fonotia out of our squad for next season and we would lose a huge amount of quality, players who lead by example. We have to maintain that NZ connection which assists us in recruitment. Without that we're just a medium sized fish in a huge pond and we'd be back to signing mediocre players that Toulon, Saracens etc. etc. didnt want.

I would rather we be a player short in the squad and that money be diverted to secure a kiwi head coach because to have four kiwi's in our squad just boosts the quality of our our home grown boys. Look at the impact Reggie had here, 1 cap! Parkes was a run of the mill Super Rugby player who now is one of the first names on the Wales teamsheet. The gulf in standards is still there unfortunatley. If we couldnt get a current Super coach I'd go for someone like Blackadder who despite not being a success at Bath is still a high quality kiwi coach who would keep that NZ connection going. Nice guy as well who applauded us post match in Bath. If we maintain our status in New Zealand as an attractive region for players to make the the trip north to, we will continue to prosper. Its not the only factor in our revival, but its a hugely significant one.
Cardiff had a c£200k budget for their head coach. We'll be in that ball park I'm sure. 
We're still still here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic