Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Defence Coach?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2019 at 5:32pm
barclay was the biggest loss imho....an awesome player
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2019 at 5:45pm
I'm sure Brad Mooar will have his own ideas about his coaching team for next season.
What's going on?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2019 at 9:28pm
Steve Tandy anyone??
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

barclay was the biggest loss imho....an awesome player
And leader, He and Ken together were superb . When Ken is not playing we don’t have that strong and mature leader in the pack - good players yes but not leaders to follow.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2019 at 11:37pm
Barclay and Scott Williams were superb defenders. Probably why we have leaked tries this season, they were also good at ripping the ball and winning key turnover ball from nothing.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2019 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

What do you think is the possibility of getting Shaun Edwards seeing as he says nothing has been signed with Wigan. The WRU have reportedly been having a meeting, could they be funding part of his wages for us with Byron going the other way? Interesting.

He has been offered a job with Wasps according to Dai Young.. Seems like Wigan fans don't want him either.
Zero

Less than that. 

Also would the characters even work together in a management team?
Scarlets before Wales
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

What do you think is the possibility of getting Shaun Edwards seeing as he says nothing has been signed with Wigan. The WRU have reportedly been having a meeting, could they be funding part of his wages for us with Byron going the other way? Interesting.

He has been offered a job with Wasps according to Dai Young.. Seems like Wigan fans don't want him either.
Zero

Less than that. 

Also would the characters even work together in a management team?
Good question that. My gut feeling is no
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 9:15am
2 of the greatest coaches in the game geech and gatland love Edwards. the blues coaches and players  raved about him last year , if our new and our existing coach can't work with him it says more about them than it does about him tbh

Pivac seems an easy going affable guy I am not sure he will be right for team wales, the test team always seem to do better under the iron fist than the velvet glove

The likes of Jenkins  let them get away with all sorts, they rode all over Ruddock and Johnson was useless there.

Stevo and humph are imo a step up on the current coaches in their roles but Byron would be a huge downgrade and tbh I think PIvac is a big downgrade to.

I can see wales slipping a lot next year
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

2 of the greatest coaches in the game geech and gatland love Edwards. the blues coaches and players  raved about him last year , if our new and our existing coach can't work with him it says more about them than it does about him tbh

Pivac seems an easy going affable guy I am not sure he will be right for team wales, the test team always seem to do better under the iron fist than the velvet glove

The likes of Jenkins  let them get away with all sorts, they rode all over Ruddock and Johnson was useless there.

Stevo and humph are imo a step up on the current coaches in their roles but Byron would be a huge downgrade and tbh I think PIvac is a big downgrade to.

I can see wales slipping a lot next year

I agree with you. I am not Gatland's biggest fan, or should I say, his way of playing the game but nobody can argue with the man's results. He understands what it takes to win matches and is a very shrewd judge of a player. He commands loyalty from his players and he always seems to preside over a very happy & well behaved group which can be contrasted with Eddie's English who always seem to have someone making the news for the wrong reasons!!!!

Pivac, Stevo & Byron have not covered themselves with glory this season and the defensive performance last Friday ranks with one of worst I have seen. A total contrast to the huge heart & guts shown against Munster. I think the Edwards situation is a non story really. He is on record as saying he was going to coach Wigan so he more or less ruled himself out of the Wales job going forward. He has had a change of heart as his stock has risen to its highest on the back of the 6 nations and probably sees the rewards available in Union over the next 4/5 years far outreaching what is on offer in League. It would be wonderful for Welsh rugby if a situation could be found for him to mentor all regional defence coaches but that is just wishful thinking.

I still think Gatland & Edwards will end up together possibly coaching France. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 10:41am
IF YOU RECALL gats a long time ago maybe 2010 said that he was going to give the squad more freedom for a year to make their own decisions in the style of play etc etc at the end of the season he said it hadnt worked out well and theyd need to go back to him being the boss....Im paraphrasing a bit. But as he had a 10 year plan in effect gats was shrewd enough to know he had time to experiment a bit and its a good way to see what type of characters he had and what did or didnt work. 

As rr1972 says these players seem to be better under strong leaders and an iron fist. Otherwise characters like gareth thomas , simply take advantage and do their own thing as we saw in the fiji debacle and as we saw after thomas and his team manages to oust grand slammer mike ruddock. They take advantage of laid back or weak leaders , but still manage to blame it on these leaders when it goes wrong. Thats pretty disingenuous. Thomas was even on tv ranting that he and his players didnt get enough credit for the grand slam. he was like a spoilt child. Gats seemed to weed out trouble makers early in his tenure. Didnt he drop popham and a few others for being disruptive?

We've seen none of that type of nonsense with Gats and edwards. Lets hope we dont under the next regime.

Edited by roy munster - 27 March 2019 at 10:44am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 11:57am
We mustn't forget that Pivac did the same at the Scarlets in his first season. I don't think he can be described as soft when it comes to team discipline but this season, for whatever reason, he seems incapable of getting the team ready for games consistently. 
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Steve Tandy anyone??

Getting a lot of praise in Super rugby in fairness to him
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Steve Tandy anyone??

Good luck to him. And no.
Scarlets before Wales
mark in sydney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 5:22am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Steve Tandy anyone??

Good luck to him. And no.

No way Tandy ...WOL article with little context … one good game against a deflated Crusaders team who hadn't played for 2 weeks and had to put up with all the issues happening at home … they looked distracted  as I looked at them coming off the SCG at half time and not how a Saders team usually play ..who can blame them 

Look at the average (to be polite) defensive performance of the Tahs when they played the Brumbies in Canberra the week before … and then rate Tandy 

I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 11:46am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

We mustn't forget that Pivac did the same at the Scarlets in his first season. I don't think he can be described as soft when it comes to team discipline but this season, for whatever reason, he seems incapable of getting the team ready for games consistently. 

Hardly surprising when he’s been off in nz getting married which should have been valuable training time, simply no excuse for us not to be ready for that blues game. A lack of respect from Pivac imo should have waited until after the season like the players would be told too. Looking forward to a fresh start as can’t see us winning an away playoff if we manage to get there.
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Hardly surprising when he’s been off in nz getting married which should have been valuable training time, simply no excuse for us not to be ready for that blues game. A lack of respect from Pivac imo should have waited until after the season like the players would be told too. Looking forward to a fresh start as can’t see us winning an away playoff if we manage to get there.

Man in having life outside work shocker ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic