Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:07am
The fact he has only started 4 games for Saracens with all of Vunipilas injuries speaks volumes. Apart from the interception didn’t see anything spectacular in him. If we serious about Europe we need to be aiming higher.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

The fact he has only started 4 games for Saracens with all of Vunipilas injuries speaks volumes. Apart from the interception didn’t see anything spectacular in him. If we serious about Europe we need to be aiming higher.

1 try, 10 carries for 95 metres, 4 defenders beaten & 2 clean breaks...

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:28am
We can not judge players on one performance, be it good or bad.

The coaches see players on numerous occasions before thinking of signing them, so maybe we should as well.

4 games in 2 or 3 seasons is not a good return, even with the strength they have in the back row, probably says something about him.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We can not judge players on one performance, be it good or bad.

The coaches see players on numerous occasions before thinking of signing them, so maybe we should as well.

4 games in 2 or 3 seasons is not a good return, even with the strength they have in the back row, probably says something about him.

He is a 23 year old who only signed for Saracens in January this year & is out of contract at the end of this season & these were his stats from a match earlier this year

Minutes played: 80

Carries: 18

Metres gained: 158

Defenders beaten: 14

Clean breaks: 3

Try assists: 1

Tackles: 15

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:37am
1 game.......Mark Twain said lies, damn lies & statistics.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

1 game.......Mark Twain said lies, damn lies & statistics.

Well if he has only played a handful of games there won't be a huge amount of stats for him, but he had (IMO) good stats on Saturday as well so may be worth a look. Still very young too.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

The Tongan number 8 was pretty useful today. He carried and made a lot of hard yards in the second 20 (when Tonga scored most of their points) and also finished his interception try very well. He’s probably not up to the fitness levels of most number 8s in the pro14, but we wouldn’t necessarily have to play him in every game, just the ones where we may struggle up front.
He plays for Saracens so I reckon he’s pretty fit
He’s out of contract at the end of this year and has only played 4 times for Sarries, starting once.
He spent a few years playing 7s too so I doubt his fitness is poor.

Telling you these 7’s boys are the ones to target they have exactly what we need. Tongan 8 was great very powerful and not massive either. Shows you don’t need to be this big ball carrier to be effective and powerful. Perhaps smarties won’t renew if he’s only had 4 games?

Not massive - shows you don't need to be this big ball carrier - he is 6foot 1inch & 120 kgs which is about 15 kgs bigger than Blade, Casseim & John Barclay. So yes you do need to be big to be an effective carrier. He is perfectly built but I don't know how good he is. He appeared reasonable on Saturday went through Ellis on a few occasions with ease. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:56am
He is a good prospect it appears. Sracens tend not to sign mugs but he is only 23 so must still be a little raw. If we could get a No 8 who could get us carrying stats like he did against Wales we would be a far more difficult team to contain. 
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

He is a good prospect it appears. Sracens tend not to sign mugs but he is only 23 so must still be a little raw. If we could get a No 8 who could get us carrying stats like he did against Wales we would be a far more difficult team to contain. 

Got to be worth a bash if he is released by Sarries. Would definitely come under the banner of project player though. Does he have the minerals to give a performance to that level on a wet and windy night in Connacht though?

I very much doubt we'll confirm any signings until the new coaching regime is named anyway. I would think their will be a short list of players then the new head coach will have the final say.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 2:37pm
I think that the interception try has made him more fans than he possibly deserves. Given the ball in that position, we already have backrowers who would have little trouble in running in the try. If what we are looking for is a big powerful carrier to batter his way though from a 10 m scrum, a la the Leicester forwards, then I wouldn't have thought that Vunipila, was our man as I didn't really notice him ploughing through a heavily defended area leaving Welsh defenders in his wake.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think that the interception try has made him more fans than he possibly deserves. Given the ball in that position, we already have backrowers who would have little trouble in running in the try. If what we are looking for is a big powerful carrier to batter his way though from a 10 m scrum, a la the Leicester forwards, then I wouldn't have thought that Vunipila, was our man as I didn't really notice him ploughing through a heavily defended area leaving Welsh defenders in his wake.

You have totally confused me there Ffidel. Do you mean  Sione Vailanu who played for Tonga Saturday or Billy Vunipola of England. Vailanu was indeed the beneficiary of some dumb play by Tomas Williams and yes most of our back 5 players would have scored it but he set up their 2nd try by a powerful burst from the back of a scrum and went through 3 tacklers including Ellis Jenkins only to be brought down a metre short. The only player we have who can remotely get near to that is Josh McLoud who relies on fantastic acceleration over the first 5 metres. This guy relies on his power from his short stature and 120 kgs, much of it around his hip area. 

I have no idea whether he is the real deal but at 23 and out of contract next season he may well be worth a punt. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 3:30pm
That is my point if we serious about winning Europe we need to strengthen in positions like 8 by getting an established quality ball carrier. We have the base of a very good side we supposed to be getting extra money time we spent it on a marquee signing not on a punt.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

You have totally confused me there Ffidel. Do you mean  Sione Vailanu who played for Tonga Saturday or Billy Vunipola of England. Vailanu was indeed the beneficiary of some dumb play by Tomas Williams and yes most of our back 5 players would have scored it but he set up their 2nd try by a powerful burst from the back of a scrum and went through 3 tacklers including Ellis Jenkins only to be brought down a metre short. The only player we have who can remotely get near to that is Josh McLoud who relies on fantastic acceleration over the first 5 metres. This guy relies on his power from his short stature and 120 kgs, much of it around his hip area. 

I have no idea whether he is the real deal but at 23 and out of contract next season he may well be worth a punt. 

Yes, I've totally confused myself as well. I was thinking of Vailanu not VunipolaEmbarrassed

In mitigation, all these Polynesians sound the same after a few pints - no racism intendedWink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

That is my point if we serious about winning Europe we need to strengthen in positions like 8 by getting an established quality ball carrier. We have the base of a very good side we supposed to be getting extra money time we spent it on a marquee signing not on a punt.

Fair point - Stander it is then!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic