Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 7:23pm
Another few second rows. Apart ftom ball we have no serious condenders. Theyre all ligbt weight with regards to bulking up or pac. Theyre great around the field but whats the point ofvthat if we conceed pens in the set peices
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 10:27pm
Iโ€™ve just been looking up the 3 above mentioned players.
Ben Lam looks really useful. He has pace to burn, but more importantly he is a physical lump of a man who looks like he can physically bully opposition wings/fullbacks. Heโ€™s also known to Blade Thompson, so that might help him settle in quite well, if he joins and McNicholl stays then we will have 3 backs from the same super rugby franchise.
Snyman looks like the kind of second rower we like, quite mobile, but more importantly weighing in at 18stone and stands at 6ft 9 inches. That makes him considerably heavier than most of outer second rowers and adds quite a bit of weight to our scrum (which we seem to be saying that we currently miss, we were bullied by 7 forwards this evening).
Sam Lousi looks useful too, 6ft 6 and 19 stone, with a very good offloading game.
Also, they will be available throughout the season, unless they somehow find themselves eligible for Scotland or something.
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think Sam Davies can only play one type of game revolving around kicking, and although there are times when I don't think the Scarlets kick well or don't do enough kicking, I wouldn't want to see us play Ospreys style, relying on forward power and kicking for position while we wait for the opposition to make mistakes.  
Now, Owen Williams or Rhys Priestland I'd love to see backing up Patch, but they would probably see playing second fiddle as a backward move.
 I think we  made the right sort of signing in Angus O'Brien- a promising youngster who had fallen out with the Drags coaches and wanting a new start. Unfortunately he had a couple of poor games before he really had a chance to settle, and then a long injury. Who knows, he may yet come good.
Do you really think that Priestland will come back and play 2nd fiddle to Patch...Wake up
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:38am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Can see a fair bit of recruitment being done for next season:
RG Snyman, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Josh Adams SERIOSLY boost the quality in our squad.

With Cardiff Blues reportedly looking at Josh Adams/Steffan Evans- pretty sure Owen Lane is out of contract...would not be a bad option at all. But I cant see him leaving Cardiff.

Not sure if Werner Kruger is staying - I'd like to think he is, but if not, we would need a very good signing to replace him. Not sure who's about.

Retention is also key.

Ideally, we need to recruit quality that will not be part of the world cup to really get our European campaign underway.

As it stands, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam would give us a massive boost for that.

Is this your wish list or somewhat reality?
Scarlets before Wales
Maple View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:07am
Oh no : Sam Davies has only one string to his bow, kick, kick, kick.

For goodness sake, leave in the Ospreys.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Oh no : Sam Davies has only one string to his bow, kick, kick, kick.

For goodness sake, leave in the Ospreys.

We need a plan b.

Sam would be an excellent acquisition
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:24am
let's hope whoever we sign doesn't need 3 months to get fit or adapt to pro 14 rugby,
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think Sam Davies can only play one type of game revolving around kicking, and although there are times when I don't think the Scarlets kick well or don't do enough kicking, I wouldn't want to see us play Ospreys style, relying on forward power and kicking for position while we wait for the opposition to make mistakes.  
Now, Owen Williams or Rhys Priestland I'd love to see backing up Patch, but they would probably see playing second fiddle as a backward move.
 I think we  made the right sort of signing in Angus O'Brien- a promising youngster who had fallen out with the Drags coaches and wanting a new start. Unfortunately he had a couple of poor games before he really had a chance to settle, and then a long injury. Who knows, he may yet come good.

I agree with you regarding Sam Ffidel. Watching the Ospreys has become pretty boring. You mention us relying on forward power - that was a joke wasn't it - I am of course speaking with the benefit of having seen yesterdays game.!!!Cry
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:41am
Perhaps we can get two Davies's for the price of one, Sam and Nigel ๐Ÿ˜‚
Keep the faith
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

go and wash your mouth out with soap,Big smile
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:26am
Used TCP instead.๐Ÿ˜ซ
Keep the faith
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:29am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Did you have a BOGOF in mind ?
gorau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:45am
We need to keep hold of Steff Evans. I thought he played well last night and showed commitment as he chased a loose ball in the build up to Foxy's try. 

We could do with some bulk for games like last night. Sam Lousi and RG Snyman look like they fit the bill. 
eds
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 11:31am
after the the way we performed the last 2 seasons where our profile was right at the top of domestic and European rugby yet we still can't seem to attract top end signings and seem to be slipping back to the bad old days of hoping some player is worth a punt I went to newbury races yesterday with the same idea and only one of my 7 punts payed off,it rarely happens.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Can see a fair bit of recruitment being done for next season:
RG Snyman, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Josh Adams SERIOSLY boost the quality in our squad.
ย 
With Cardiff Blues reportedly looking at Josh Adams/Steffan Evans- pretty sure Owen Lane is out of contract...would not be a bad option at all. But I cant see him leaving Cardiff.

Not sure if Werner Kruger is staying - I'd like to think he is, but if not, we would need a very good signing to replace him. Not sure who's about.

Retention is also key.

Ideally, we need to recruit quality that will not be part of the world cup to really get our European campaign underway.

As it stands, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Sam Lousi, Ben Lam would give us a massive boost for that.

Is this your wish list or somewhat reality?
No reality whatsoever in terms of those NWQ players
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

after the the way we performed the last 2 seasons where our profile was right at the top of domestic and European rugby yet we still can't seem to attract top end signings and seem to be slipping back to the bad old days of hoping some player is worth a punt I went to newbury races yesterday with the same idea and only one of my 7 punts payed off,it rarely happens.
Blade Thomson isnโ€™t a top end signing?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic