Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 2:31pm
And besides a 10 it's forwards we need not backs
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 2:41pm
powerful ball carriers we need. some physicality up front.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:08pm
We need both. If Asquith and McNicholl, and maybe others, (hopefully not Steff) move on as is rumoured, then there is certainly room for the likes of Josh Adams. Similarly this season has also shown that we need a backup for Patchell, and unfortunately he needs to be signed without us being able to have a decent look at O'Brien. 
 As for a couple of big ball carrying forwards to complement Ball, (who also seems to be with Wales or injured for a lot of the time), I don't think anyone is arguing with that. 
Unfortunately these are the positions that are probably most in demand and it may be easier to sign Josh Adams than the 10 or the forwards, unless Mooar has some new  ideas.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:41pm
I didn't advocate another back 3 signing unless we lose players. Mcnichol & Asquith would be big losses with Josh Adams an excellent replacement for Jonny & Owen Williams for Asquith. Owen will be needed whether Asquith moves on or not. Then we need to concentrate our spending on front 5 & that elusive No 8. 
diego6754 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I didn't advocate another back 3 signing unless we lose players. Mcnichol & Asquith would be big losses with Josh Adams an excellent replacement for Jonny & Owen Williams for Asquith. Owen will be needed whether Asquith moves on or not. Then we need to concentrate our spending on front 5 & that elusive No 8. 

Makes sense. Personally I'd favour Hal Amos to Josh but that is just my preference and either would be a good signing. As I understand it though Amos is nailed on to join Blues and with him studying medicine in Cardiff that makes sense. I can't see the Blues signing both Adams and Amos though.

Owen Williams for me is a no brainer, covers a few positions to a high standard, still youngish, welsh. This time last year he was probably the hottest property outside Wales along with Moriarty.
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:53pm
Maybe the new coach will bring an upgrade of quality that are not Welsh
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:03pm
I saw a photo of the Wales 7's team recently and Conbeer was in a boot, does anyone know what sort of injury he has? Unhappy
"YMA O HYD"
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:17pm
He went off injured in first 7s game with leg injury. He didn't look good then
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:18pm

And a beast of a lock, who can play 6 too.
Scarlets before Wales
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

And a beast of a lock, who can play 6 too.

Tadhg Beirne Wink or maybe Kieran Read will retire after RWC and join Mooar in West Wales Smile
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 5:14pm
Kieran Read is in a tug of war with 2 French clubs, with around £1 million + per season, it was reported on a New Zealand newspaper a few weeks ago. Racing Metro was one of the clubs.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
gorau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 5:58pm
Since Brad Mooar is coming from Crusaders as a potential back row option it would be great to have Jordan Taufua over. He's dynamic and powerful. I'd love to have Thomas Young here if he wants to improve his Welsh chances by playing in Wales.

I agree with many on here Owen Williams would make a great signing. I see him more as a 12 and if Asquith goes then we have great cover there. Asquith can cover wing so a winger is needed especially if McNicholl leaves as well. Any of Hallam Amos, Josh Adams or Jonah Holmes would do. Someone mentioned George Bridge from the Crusaders but he's recently been capped on the All Blacks end of season tour. Bridge scored two tries against Japan so I'm sure he's going to be slowly eased in now to the All Blacks team, especially since Ben Smith is rumoured to be off to France after the World Cup. 

Other options could be Israel Dagg from the Crusaders since he hasn't featured for the All Blacks in years or Nehe Milner Skudder who has also had limited game time for the All Blacks. Both I'd imagine would be expensive. 

A big second row is needed in the mould of RG Snyman who's been mentioned on the forum a few times. Luke Romano is with the Crusaders and he maybe an option since he's in the same boat as Skudder and Dagg with regards to All Black selection. Romano is 32 mind so maybe someone younger but equally as powerful would do. 

I feel Werner Kruger could leave so a tight head would be needed. I also feel that Tom Phillips and Declan Smith could leave given the quality we have in their positions. 

Position wise I think we need a back row possibly two back rowers, a centre/fly half, another wing/ fullback, a tight head and a second row.
eds
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:07pm
Werner would be a real loss if he went. I hope he stays.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:14pm
We should do our 2nd row shopping in England, we always get bullied by English packs. Look how rubbish Leicester are and they didn't just beat us, they made us look like children.

Obviously we don't want one in the mould of Adam Useless, more like Kitchener or someone like that.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Werner would be a real loss if he went. I hope he stays.
He's getting on mind and I suppose if we see a better option on the market we need to be ruthless. Having said that we need another tighthead anyway because there's nothing behind Samson and Werner. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 8:57pm
Werner is also our best carrier. Maybe he's not quite as effective when he has to start ie in Samson's absence but I would certainly keep him for another season at least. Gardiner has also on occasions looked useful coming on when our pack is in the ascendency and we're using rolling mauls in the opposition 22 - not so good when we are defending and the rolls of fat around his waist aren't exactly helpful for anything other than scrummaging. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of Javan Sebastian, as he is more mobile and likes to carry - a fitness issue?
One of the features that props need in plenty is confidence as I doubt that the average referee understands much about what is going on and a 20st con-man might earn a good few more penalties than a much better prop.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic